Steve Matai acting as a mentor for Tom Trbojevic’s move to centre

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Steve Matai acting as a mentor for Tom Trbojevic’s move to centre
  • 37 minutes ago
  • by NICK WALSHAW
  • Source: The Daily Telegraph
TOM Trbojevic, a month ago, had played two, maybe three games at centre.

And all of them for Mona Vale juniors.

“So when told I’d be switching there, I was worried,’’ the Manly young gun says. “I knew it was going to be a challenge.”

Enter Steve Matai.

With the Sea Eagles currently resembling a MASH unit, it has been left to the injured Matai — sidelined for the year with a neck injury — to give 19-year-old Trbojevic a crash course in NRL centre play.

Indeed, so hands on has the former international become, he now stands behind the Manly backline during training drills so that, afterwards, he can better school Trbojevic on potential improvements.

And the results have been immediate.

Touted as a future Sea Eagles No. 1, the northern beaches teen has been so strong since shifting from the wing in the past three weeks several critics have suggested he be catapulted onto the flanks of the NSW Origin side.

Trbojevic has been in fine form since switching to centre.Source: News Corp Australia
And for that, he credits Matai.

“Skivvie has been really helpful,’’ Trbojevic concurs. “He gets in behind me at training, stands behind me when we do edge stuff.

“I’ll defend a set and then he comes and talks with me afterwards. Telling me what I did well, what I can improve on, that sort of thing.

“It’s been great.

“Prior to coming into first grade, I’d played fullback my entire life. There were a couple of games at centre in juniors, but that’s it.

DONE: Graham may not get another chance at Origin

COMEBACK: Idris to return to rugby league

“So to have a great centre like Skivvie there, it’s been really helpful.”

Having already been forced to learn wing play, Trbojevic admits the difficulties of this latest move are greater again.

Worse, he is trying to learn in a side that, apart from being riddled with injury and marred by off-field controversy, has also dropped five games straight.

“The biggest challenge is defensively,’’ he says. “You have to make more decisions.

“I was worried at the start but having great players here to help me out — Jamie Lyon has been really helpful, too — it’s made the switch a lot easier.

“I’m really enjoying the challenge.”

Some have spoken about Trbojevic as an Origin bolter.Source: News Corp Australia
While Trbojevic will partner Lyon in the centres against Gold Coast in Monday Night Football, he remains unsure if the spot is now his for the season.

“I haven’t really spoke to Baz about it that much,’’ he continued. “But now with Skivvie gone for the year, I will probably have to fill a role at centre and I’m happy to do that.”

Despite his strong showings for Manly in recent weeks, Trbojevic still refused to say he was happy with his individual form.

“Happy wouldn’t be the right word, no,’’ he adds. “Having people talk about you and Origin selection, it’s surreal.

“But it’s hard to be happy with the way you’re playing if the side has lost five games in a row.

“I’m playing all right but I’m not happy. We have to turn our form around.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/4cbfc944a56c98846871851bca246f45

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you're joking or serious.

Deadly serious!! Hex has a lot tonight and despite his nickname will be a great centre. I know only I can see it but he has the makings of a club legend. One or two things in his game which need fine tuning of course, but he will be good.

Deadly serious!! Hex has a lot tonight and despite his nickname will be a great centre. I know only I can see it but he has the makings of a club legend. One or two things in his game which need fine tuning of course, but he will be good.

@:paren't we getting T-rex for fullback

Hmm thought that is what Brett should have been doing for the last 18 months
Never train up your replacement. It's the golden rule. I've seen it in business many times. Someone brought in who knows jack **** who is going to take your job or become your boss. Sink or swim matey unless you plan on an early retirement.

This is good for Tom to learn to play different positions I expect him to play a lot of rep footy in the centres but not at manly. Fullback is his spot and he will leave if he doesn't get the fullback spot that he has been waiting for for a number of years. And there isn't any great fullbacks we have at the club to take his place. Tom will be fullback next year no doubt he is too good for centre but geez he is making a lot of good defensive centres this year look silly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4