Suburban grounds are more than just a venue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
By @ellakasmar

It’s the debate in rugby league that arises every season – should we move all clubs to big stadiums? In simple terms, the answer is no.

Only eight suburban grounds remain in the NRL – Brookvale Oval, Campbelltown Stadium, Shark Park, Kogarah Oval, Leichhardt Oval, Pepper Stadium, Pirtek Stadium and WIN Stadium. These grounds represent the foundation of professional rugby league in Australia, with Brookvale Oval being the home of the Sea Eagles since they entered the competition 70 years ago.

If these grounds mean so much in context of the history of Australian rugby league, it would be ridiculous to make all teams play at the proposed venues of Allianz Stadium and ANZ Stadium.

Don’t keep using the excuse that suburban grounds don’t bring in enough revenue – maybe if the state government put in more funding to refurbish these grounds to make them more appealing, more people would want to attend rugby league games at these places.

On a personal level, there is nothing I love more than watching football at a suburban ground, especially at the home of the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles – Fortress Brookvale. Only a five-minute drive from home, a walk across the road for some others, and a seat that is extremely close to the action. There is nothing better than watching rugby league on the hill in the afternoon sun, or even under lights, with thousands of other passionate supporters. 15,000 people packed into Brookvale Oval is has a million times better atmosphere than 15,000 sparingly spread at ANZ Stadium.

Instead of putting money into already sufficient grounds such as Allianz and ANZ Stadium, put the majority of the proposed $1.6 billion budget to upgrade venues, into the eight suburban grounds. Use the money to upgrade the availability of undercover seating, food choices and overall quality of the experience of being at the game, however still contain the history of the ground.

Suburban grounds are the heart of rugby league and have been for generations. Preserve tradition and culture in clubs and let them stay at their beloved suburban grounds. It’s more than just a venue, it’s a home.

Last edited:
Is the state government really going to tip money into Local Council owned grounds, or privately owned as in Shark Park

I think the argument is going to be decided whether we like it or not, Brookvale is very unlikely to get any new funding and the club eventually to survive will be forced to take more games away. To stay as thing are is not sustainable and the club has no friends at the NRL who are going to prevent this.

I just wish our owners would communicate what is going on cause this just drags on and on and we are just another step closer to the inevitable.

I reckon we better increase our crowd attendance otherwise we'll propably get no ground funding.

Yep, you may be right there - kind of reminds me of the'98/99 seasons.

I took my daughter to as many games at Brookie as I could, in my mind we made a difference in helping our club survive through the rationalization ( survival) process.
As an 8yo, she didn't really understand why we sat on the hill to see an average Manly team play but we still have a team to support.

We need that thought process again regardless of our unsuitable draw or team performance
Let's hope we can keep seeing them play at Brookie.

I'll be on the hill...hopefully for many years to come.

Wollongong is not a suburb of Sydney, however Belmore is, and has hosted NRL games for the last 2 years. So Dogs will have their hands out for any funding available too.
I like that Ella liked her own article!
(I like it too)
giphy.gif

The best and most easily obtained way of getting money for suburban grounds from all levels of knee-jerk government is for the greens to believe that venues closer to supporters will reduce emissions from travelling.

Wollongong is not a suburb of Sydney, however Belmore is, and has hosted NRL games for the last 2 years. So Dogs will have their hands out for any funding available too.
I like that Ella liked her own article!
(I like it too)
giphy.gif

@Ella Kasmar should post her own articles...that way Lsz stops running away with all of animals likes.

sheesh get it together people.

Is the state government really going to tip money into Local Council owned grounds, or privately owned as in Shark Park
Why should the goverment and NRL push for money to be spent on venues that the clubs who don't want to use them

Time for Governments and ruling bodies to listen to what the clubs and players want not push their own agendas.

I reckon we better increase our crowd attendance otherwise we'll propably get no ground funding.
Look when we've been scheduled to play: on a pouring Monday night, on a Thursday night... we had a reasonably good crowd against Dogs on a Friday night.
It's not fair comparing crowds until we get to play on a Sunday afternoon at Brookie. That's when fans want to attend our matches. Of course, the NRL and Nein don't care, and I think we only have one Sunday afternoon match scheduled.

Autocorrect GE? Or have you just lost it again? (Always seems to happen on Fridays) ;)

It's only Thursday here! (but your err assumption is becoming spot on as the mins tick by.)

*checks*

OH WAIT

I was referring to the gif posted with the Muppet animal giving a lot of likes!

I'm not crazy

*Animal's*

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7