• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
gee
times have changed big time @ Manly
whenever a player was on the market Manly was always mentioned as a club interested, I know it has been said that we have no money left in our cap, by my guess I reckon we have let 1 million in players go & resigned a few others with upgrades  but it still don't add up to me with the salary cap getting an increase, the third party increase & we still have no cash to spare ?

Hodkinson - $70k
Perry - $180k (tops)
Farrar - $100k
Tasi - Not counted
Bailey - $150k (tops)

That's around $500k I reckon mate.

Then consider:-

Lyon (upgrade)
Stewart (upgrade)
Watmough (upgrade)
Oldfield signed (50k)
Cherry-Evans (signed) maybe $100k
Robinson (signed) $50k
Harrison (signed) $50k

Probably a lot closer than you think.

I think back ended contracts may have something to do with this.

didnt Manly also gain room to move in the cap when orford and manly didnt come to terms in january for 2010. While i understand he wasnt going to get the contract he was on, surely they put a few hundred thousand away for that deal. When he didnt sign those upgrades were prompt which gave the impression to me they had used some of the money earmarked for orford

Dont quote me but most of the upgrades were done prior to the raising of the cap limit and dispensations

got to add mattai and foran to the upgrades as well . But ryan is right, no one knows about front loading and backloading contracts

This front loading and backloading. I know sports stars get treated differently by the tax office as they earn a lot in a short space of time so they get concessions like farmers do. It works for the clubs but i wonder how it works for the players, especially those on mid tier contracts that may have a wife working etc etc

But if the loading of contracts is the case you have to look at gains and losses the previous year as well as it would have impacted it as well

Ryan link said:
Hodkinson - $70k
Perry - $180k (tops)
Farrar - $100k
Tasi - Not counted
Bailey - $150k (tops)

That's around $500k I reckon mate.

Then consider:-

Lyon (upgrade)
Stewart (upgrade)
Watmough (upgrade)
Oldfield signed (50k)
Cherry-Evans (signed) maybe $100k
Robinson (signed) $50k
Harrison (signed) $50k

Probably a lot closer than you think.

I think back ended contracts may have something to do with this.

You left out Foran there.  He would have received the biggest contract increase.  I doubt the others would have been too great an upgrade.  I still can't fathom how we are at the cap level now, thats apparently after letting Bailey go as well.  Does that mean if he wasn't released we would have been over the cap for 2011 or have the already moved to front end some contract money?

According to the paper a few weeks ago they could only signed Matai once Bailey was released.

My gut feel is we are paying the price for 2008 this year in terms of backended contracts as Ryan suggests.

Having said that I think financial pressures at a club level may have come into play as well.

No way should DCE be on $100k, he hasn't even debuted yet! And I think Bailey was closer to $200k. Lyon, Watmough and Stewart wouldn't have had upgrades, at the most maybe a back ended deal for Lyon but I'm pretty sure his big $$$ are in 2012

It is fairly simple imo to see how we are at the cap limit

Recent/Current Internationals

Stewart
Stewart
Lyon
Williams
Watmough
Matai
Foran
Kite

Origin

King
Ballin

Even if we are conservative and say that they are averaging out at $225,000 each that is just over half the cap gone with 15 more slots to fill

Gazza link said:
No way should DCE be on $100k, he hasn't even debuted yet! And I think Bailey was closer to $200k. Lyon, Watmough and Stewart wouldn't have had upgrades, at the most maybe a back ended deal for Lyon but I'm pretty sure his big $$$ are in 2012

DCE would be on that at least.

The reason for lack of signings might not be about the cap but about the bank balance.

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
[quote author=Gazza link=topic=185922.msg305375#msg305375 date=1289271663]

The reason for lack of signings might not be about the cap but about the bank balance.
[/quote]
for a kid who has never played first grade?..no way.

wombatgc link said:
[quote author=ERNIE FOR NO7 link=topic=185922.msg305421#msg305421 date=1289289521]

[/quote]
[/quote]

His got massive wraps

wombatgc link said:
[quote author=ERNIE FOR NO7 link=topic=185922.msg305421#msg305421 date=1289289521]

Well wrong or right it is a fact

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hodkinson had big wraps too & didn't exactly set the world on fire.
He may do in years to come & the Dogs have paid big on the expectation.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6