1.6 million reasons

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
from RLW
by Steve Mascord in London

The battle for control of Manly has taken a dramatic new twist with the Scott Penn aligned faction snaring a new $1.6 million sponsorship contract on the eve of the WCC.
With fans calling for a extraordinary general meeting to grill Penn and Delmege, outgoing CEO Grant Mayer says  the premiers are now one of the top 3 best-sponsored clubs in Sydney.
The development will put more pressure on the faction aligned to Delmege, which this month caused Mayer to resign by withholding its support.
"We're going to announce ISC as our kit sponsor in a 1.6 million  deal, which for us is an outstanding sussess," says Mayer, who has attracted $4.3 million in sponsorship in the past 5 months.
"We've basically increased our return (for kit sponsorship ) to four times the ammount so it just goes to show the Manly brand is getting stronger despite the doom and gloom regarding finances globally.
"When I came to the club two-and-a-half years ago, there's no doubt then we were massively 'unders' in regards to the jersey sponsorship, sleeve, shorts, eveything.
We've  worked hard to make sure we are no longer at the bottom of the table."
"I said in my (resignation) letter  that I would continue to do the job with the utmost integrity. I'm selling the club and the brand, not the CEO."
Mayer says he sympathises with Manly fans who want to front the owners over their dispute.
"I understand their need to be informed," he says.
"It's very difficult when something is played out in the media, like it has been.
they want to know what's going  on."
"There desire to be told something is totally understandable. Whether they'll  get the answers they want, I don't know.
It's difficult. The fans are passionately and emotionally involved... I hope they get some answers."

chalk another one up for Mayer. the unfortunate victim in this game!

Didn't i hear that ISC went into administration or something?  Maybe another manufacturer...
So this will all happen from 2010?  i wonder how the quality of jerseys will be... I'd hate to buy the new one this year only to have it replaced next year.

I actually didn't know that the manufacturers 'sponsored' the teams.  i thought that the club would go out and 'choose' who they'd like to make their kits.  shows how much i know!

I assume a kit sponsor would be a sleeve sponsor etc

Good for Mayer.  And yes, he's still employed to do this sort of thing up until his contract ends in October.  From a CEO I'd expect no more than one that does his job.  And Dan, let's not paint Mayer as the 'unfortunate' victim in this matter.  He chose to not re-sign and just see out his contract you realize.  Maybe he wants to move on, who knows.

Is this the Penns or Mayer? Are they considered the same?  Whatever, this is great news for Manly.

If Mayer has had a significant hand in these sponsorship deals, then it makes a mockery of focus on 3 year plans and KPIs.  Mere concepts.

Do you choose a cricketer who promises to one day score centuries, or the one who IS scoring centuries?

I was in Parra the other day and saw Wynny walking across the road and I asked him when the new jerseys would be in
and he said possibly next week as it had something to do with sponsorship on the sleeve

Rex link said:
Is this the Penns or Mayer? Are they considered the same?  Whatever, this is great news for Manly.

If Mayer has had a significant hand in these sponsorship deals, then it makes a mockery of focus on 3 year plans and KPIs.  Mere concepts.

Do you choose a cricketer who promises to one day score centuries, or the one who IS scoring centuries?

Well this is exactly the point of the knife and daggers stuff. The early allegations were that Penn and Mayer were trying to move us to the CC, which has now been shown to be false. the KPI's were touted as yet another excuse. It seems there has been misinformation at all levels. But the falsities are starting to come out slowly.

I will be shutting the site down in the next few days, for a couple of days whilst I switch the site over to the new system, hopefully a lot of the malice is over by then

Dan link said:
The early allegations were that Penn and Mayer were trying to move us to the CC, which has now been shown to be false. the KPI's were touted as yet another excuse. It seems there has been misinformation at all levels. But the falsities are starting to come out slowly.
Assumptions are truths?

e.g. Are you absolutely certain that "the allegations were that Penn and Mayer were trying to move us to the CC"?  And what does "trying to move us to the CC" actually mean in concrete terms?  Are you absolutely certain these claimed allegations have "now been shown to be false"?

Or are these fallible perceptions of Delmege's (and others') fallible perceptions.  Second guesses of second guesses?  Abstractions of abstractions from reality? Do our beliefs stop us from looking, and looking again?

Is there is none so blind as he who believes?

Rex link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=179270.msg208231#msg208231 date=1235515857]
The early allegations were that Penn and Mayer were trying to move us to the CC, which has now been shown to be false. the KPI's were touted as yet another excuse. It seems there has been misinformation at all levels. But the falsities are starting to come out slowly.
Assumptions are truths?

e.g. Are you absolutely certain that "the allegations were that Penn and Mayer were trying to move us to the CC"?  And what does "trying to move us to the CC" actually mean in concrete terms?  Are you absolutely certain these claimed allegations have "now been shown to be false"?

Or are these fallible perceptions of Delmege's (and others') fallible perceptions.  Second guesses of second guesses?  Abstractions of abstractions from reality? Do our beliefs stop us from looking, and looking again?

[/quote]

You would think the direct quotes, and hearing Delmege say in interviews say that Penn and Mayer were tying to move us to the CC would be enough to say it's an allegation wouldn't you?

no? well your world must be a difficult one to navigate

As for they have been shown to be false, they have and already have been proven false, from the very start we all knew it took a 100% vote, plus the absolute deciding vote of the FC board to be able to move the team away from Brookie. It was false the moment the idea was uttered

Kit Sponsor is NOT the sleeve sponsor.  They will be replacing Reebok and I presume from 2010.  ISC do quite a few teams now in the NRL and Super 14.  The jersey style will not change as teams must keep them for at least 2 years I think as a minimum.

I noticed that Reebok also lost the Storm as well for 2009.  I don't know what their quality is like, but I for one do not like Reebok gear. 

I just cannot understand what these dickheads are thinking wanting mayer to resign.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=179270.msg208242#msg208242 date=1235523299]
[quote author=Dan link=topic=179270.msg208231#msg208231 date=1235515857]
Assumptions are truths?

[/quote]

You would think the direct quotes, and hearing Delmege say in interviews say that Penn and Mayer were tying to move us to the CC would be enough to say it's an allegation wouldn't you?

no? well your world must be a difficult one to navigate

As for they have been shown to be false, they have and already have been proven false, from the very start we all knew it took a 100% vote, plus the absolute deciding vote of the FC board to be able to move the team away from Brookie. It was false the moment the idea was uttered
[/quote]

If it was 100% false as you think then i wonder why arko has gone and talked to Penn about it. Max said the claim was made in front of Arko and he would have known that it didnt happen and hence would not have followed it up one would think.

Sounds to me like there is some smoke there for sure, what was actually said may not be a complete move but wanting to move 2 games a year or something like that.\

Mayer promised once the contract finished last year we would not play at Gosford again, 1 game this year is up there so Mayer isnt just an innocent victim,  i am not happy with the gosford game either, basically giving away home ground advantage to the other side for a few thousand extra.

As for Max he needs to stop digging his grave now.

I reckon it should be a drinking competition, top shelf of course.

DSM5 link said:
Good for Mayer.  And yes, he's still employed to do this sort of thing up until his contract ends in October.  From a CEO I'd expect no more than one that does his job.  And Dan, let's not paint Mayer as the 'unfortunate' victim in this matter.  He chose to not re-sign and just see out his contract you realize.  Maybe he wants to move on, who knows.

Mayer made it quite clear that he DIDNT wish to leave Manly. He made it clear that if it was his choice he would continue on in his current role, at the club he loves. The sole reason was due to the current clash at board level.

So please dont try & convince everyone here with your "let's not paint Mayer as the 'unfortunate' victim in this matter" statement. That would seem to be a symptom of a blind defense of Max.

Mayer deserves to be retained and indeed his contract should be extended. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish.

If it means the  long term financial survial of our club then i am willing to promote the game and move a game or so to the CC, whilst earning more $$$ for our club. better to support a club than to support none.

Matabele link said:
Fluffy - the decision to take the 09 to the CC was a unanimous decision of the Board. 

I am not denying that jsut pointing out he made the promise and it was not kept

As for the move the whole board should have a kick up the arse

15K @ brookie VS 13K at CC

and since Brookie is the cheapest ground to break even (6K i think was said) it has to be asked why the entire board would throw away a home ground advantage for less attendance unless they are after something else from the CC

eggson link said:
Didn't i hear that ISC went into administration or something?  Maybe another manufacturer...

They sort of did......they were in temporary admin but some investors came in and bought the business so it's back in full swing. Their jersey quality is pretty good IMO, they do all the Aussie S14 teams.

Fluffy link said:
and since Brookie is the cheapest ground to break even (6K i think was said) it has to be asked why the entire board would throw away a home ground advantage for less attendance unless they are after something else from the CC

I believe it would be something along the lines of us getting paid by the CC/Bluetongue to play games there, similar to what ANZ Stadium does to attract people (pays 100k per game or something absurd - so a crowd of 7k at ANZ is worth more to the Tigers than a crowd of 18k at Leichhardt oval).

I would hope it is the same for us on the Coast. They chip in a couple of thousand or something. I can't see why we'd take any games up there unless there is some financial incentive - although of course there is the point that being closer to Newcastle will lure some extra Knights fans down....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4