$1 Million offered to Hiku to Leave Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Warriors offer Peta Hiku $1m to trump Manly and Canterbury

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/warriors-offer-peta-hiku-1m-to-trump-manly-and-canterbury-20140412-zqtye.html#ixzz2yf9a0JwY

The Warriors have tabled a $1 million offer for Peta Hiku to get under the guard of Manly and Canterbury.

Hiku, who goes off contract at the end of the year, has done a good job in recent seasons for Manly, filling in at fullback when Brett Stewart has been injured. Even when Stewart is fit, Hiku is a certain starter in the Sea Eagles line-up and will play on the wing against Cronulla at Brookvale Oval on Sunday.

Manly is keen to retain him and have offered a deal worth about $750,000 over three years, a significant increase for a player on the NRL's minimum wage.

However, the Warriors have come in over the top with a much higher offer, which will take him over the seven-figure mark over the same period if he is able to break into the New Zealand national team.

Hiku is a strong chance of being part of Stephen Kearney's Kiwi squad for the Anzac Test against Australia at Allianz Stadium on May 2.

The Warriors are well served with fullback options after paying a record transfer fee for British international Sam Tomkins. Kevin Locke is also a back-up custodian, although his long-term future at the club is clouded.

The Warriors view Hiku as a centre, adding to alternatives in the position including Konrad Hurrell, Dane Nielsen and Jerome Ropati.

Hiku is originally from New Zealand, playing his junior football for the Manurewa Marlins before signing with the Warriors. He won the club's player of the year honours after an outstanding 2012 National Youth Competition season before shifting to the Northern Beaches with another promising former Warrior, Ligi Sao.

The 21-year-old still has family ties across the ditch, including his young daughter, Ava Jade.

Canterbury also remains in contention and it's understood club officials will meet with Hiku's New Zealand-based manager Stan Martin during their trip to Auckland to play the Warriors at Eden Park on Sunday.

The Bulldogs are searching for a high-profile replacement for Ben Barba and have identified Hiku and Wests Tigers No.1 James Tedesco as targets. Tedesco is tipped to stay put but there's unlikely to be an announcement while his agent Sam Ayoub is overseas.

It's understood another Sydney-based club has also expressed interest in Hiku's services.

In a recent interview, Hiku indicated his preference was to stay put.

"I like it here, all the boys have been really good," Hiku said last week. "I'm enjoying it here, I'll leave everything to my manager."

Manly have a number of players on heavily back-ended contracts and are desperatly trying to retain stars, including representative back-rower Glenn Stewart. It's unclear if the Sea Eagles will be able to up their offer to Hiku to get it closer to the Warriors deal.

Although he wasn't named, Jorge Taufua is a chance of making a comeback against the Sharks from a shoulder injury he suffered against Parramatta in the last trial of the preseason.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/warriors-offer-peta-hiku-1m-to-trump-manly-and-canterbury-20140412-zqtye.html#ixzz2yf9Vba7A

HappilyManly said:
Everybody loves Manly talent :s

Good luck to him, easy money and no September duties :cool:
dont get me wrong,if we have to lose him,Id rather it be to the warriors where he started,and not to that ratbag hasler,there maybe hope for gifty yet

I would love to keep everyone. Obviously that is not going to happen. If players go to the Raiders or Warriors I can deal with that. If they go to the scumdogs I will be physically sick...:mad:

I am annoyed at this…i don't know why Manly didn't sign him up before the start of the season….we all saw how good he was when Snake was out last year…we were way too slow here….we could have forced him to sign at an ok price, now the warriors pay overs for him. Correct me if i am wrong but Manly is taking so much time on retention of players….we have only resigned Jorge…i still never saw anything official regarding Lyon as well??

Moondog said:
eagles2win said:
Why would the Warriors need him?

They have 3 fullbacks on the books - Tomkins, Locke and the Fish
Part of their cunning plan to corner the fullback market....

I thought the broncos were trying that. Barba, Josh Hoffman, chasing A Milford and K Hunt

If he wants to play fullback he'd go the the Dogs. Warriors have got Tomkins so he won't get a look in there, but would definitely get a start in the centres.

I'd really love to keep him because he's great at fullback and in the centres.
Wherever he ends up, good luck to the kid.

goodbye Peta and there goes your rep career, probably your first grade career and you will now begin you life of regret.

Take care of the money because it will most likely be your last nrl contract.

mickqld said:
Moondog said:
eagles2win said:
Why would the Warriors need him?

They have 3 fullbacks on the books - Tomkins, Locke and the Fish
Part of their cunning plan to corner the fullback market....

I thought the broncos were trying that. Barba, Josh Hoffman, chasing A Milford and K Hunt
So, perhaps a merger is on the cards? The Wancos rumours may have some substance...

Why would his rep career and a regular first grade spot be gone? He has more chance of cementing a first grade spot at a weaker club than Manly. Here he will have to wait for injuries or retirement to play where he is best suited. Sunday should be interesting with Jorge back what tooves does. Good luck to the kid wherever he ends up.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2