12 players in NRL limbo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
PRE-SEASON is underway and the 2016 draw kicks off in little more than three months.

You would imagine all 16 NRL clubs would have their playing squad finalised and ready to rip into another campaign.

But there’s 12 players floating in limbo, unsure of what colours they will be wearing when that first whistle blows on March 3.

Chris Houston
The 30-year-old forward has reportedly been told by new coach Nathan Brown not to attend pre-season training, and to look elsewhere for a new contract.

Houston is signed with the Knights for another year but is already testing the Super League waters.

He’s yet to land an overseas contract, but has been linked to Widnes.

Tim Lafai
Canterbury’s interest in Will Hopoate could come at the cost of 24-year-old Lafai.

The talented outside back was forced to hose down rumours of an approach from Manly back in August, and has most recently been linked to St George Illawarra.

Will Hopoate
The messy legal battle between Hopoate’s camp and the Eels continues to play out in court.

But if one thing’s for certain, he won’t play another game for Parramatta if he can help it.

The Bulldogs appear ahead of the pack in the chase for Hopoate’s signature and it’s only a matter of time before the 23-year-old Origin player finds a new home. Manly has also crept into the race following the recruitment of father John Hopoate to the coaching staff.

James Roberts
Roberts’ future appeared set in stone until a bizarre contract bungle cast it into disarray.

A forged signature on a piece of paperwork has the speedy outside back fuming at his club, and looking for an increase in pay and potentially a new home.

He’s recently enlisted the help of cousin Anthony Mundine to sort out the mess and no shortage of options with North Queensland one of many clubs keeping an eye on the 22-year-old.

Chris McQueen
McQueen could become collateral damage in the wake of Sam Burgess’ return to Redfern on big dollars.

The Origin backrower is reportedly being told to find a new contract, despite having a year to run at South Sydney.

Penrith has pulled out of discussions with his management, leaving the Gold Coast his most likely destination.

Chris Grevsmuhl
Following a solid rookie season with the Bunnies, Grevsmuhl appears set to leave the warren early and head to the foot of the mountains.

Already committed to Penrith from 2017, it’s understood the Panthers are keen to get him there a year early, which would also free up room in South Sydney’s cap.

Dylan Walker
The only thing we’re waiting on is the formality of Manly officially announcing Walker’s signing for next season.

The Test centre was released by the Rabbitohs last week and is expected to confirm his move to the Sea Eagles in the coming days or weeks.

South Sydney has secured former Melbourne outside back Hymel Hunt as a cheaper replacement.

Brenton Lawrence
Trent Barrett’s clean-out at Manly isn’t finished yet, and Lawrence is one player being linked to a club switch.

Wests Tigers have already secured former Sea Eagle Matt Ballin, and Lawrence is thought to be considering joining the orange and black from next year.

Jamie Buhrer
The backrower reportedly rejected an offer from Newcastle but could still leave Brookvale before the start of the 2016 season.

If the Knights are out of the picture, Buhrer could potentially reconnect with Des Hasler at Canterbury, if the Bulldogs can pick up the salary left after Manly pays its share.

Gold Coast and Melbourne could also have Buhrer on their radar.

Peta Hiku
St George Illawarra is said to be keen on securing Hiku to strengthen their backline.

Manly is keen to offload a few players and the 22-year-old is towards the top of that list.

He also provides a fallback option in the halves, having played five-eighth for New Zealand during the recent Test series in England.

The Titans and Eels also have their eye on Hiku.

Robbie Farah
The veteran hooker has been linked to almost every club in the competition over the past two months.

Although his salary would be massive, the Tigers would be paying the majority of the cash, meaning he could be a cheap option for a club in need.

The problem is there’s not many clubs in need of a hooker at this time.

St George Illawarra is thought to be interested, but already have three rakes on their books.

Tim Grant
He only signed a four-year deal with South Sydney a year ago but is reportedly being shopped around to make way for Sam Burgess.

Canberra is one club who could be in the hunt as the Raiders search for a big-man to add some muscle to the pack.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-season-kick-off/story-fn2mcuj6-1227628432601

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-30_20-21-50.gif
    35 bytes · Views: 3
So we lose Lawrence, Ferris AND Hiku to get Walker??

Or is this last of the departures to get the other big name signing , but thought that was from 2017 on?

I would have been happy with Lafai. Can't believe the Dogs are looking to move him on for Whoppa... that's a downgrade.

I'm guessing that the delay in announcing Walker directly relates to Hiku having not successfully being offloaded as yet?.

I guess at this stage it doesn't matter where they are training as it would only be physical stuff at this early part of the season.

So we lose Lawrence, Ferris AND Hiku to get Walker??

Or is this last of the departures to get the other big name signing , but thought that was from 2017 on?

I would say we don't have to shed any of them to get Walker in. But will be no room in the side for Hiku when Walker is announced. Ferris and Lawrence would all be moved to make way for a big signing imo. My guess is if we see them moved on, we will have a new addition not far behind

Going to have a great 17 next year, not much outside of that.

Looks like they are banking on no injuries next year

I can't understand why we'd try to offload Lawrence and Buhrer. Both are top players and terrific club men.
They have long term injuries, I've heard it said.
Then why would any club want to recruit them?

I can't understand why we'd try to offload Lawrence and Buhrer. Both are top players and terrific club men.
They have long term injuries, I've heard it said.
Then why would any club want to recruit them?
The 31 year old Lawrence was out of action for most of the season with a major back operation and as soon as he made a come back late in the season in NSW cup he went under the knife to end his season with a knee injury that required another operation .
The 28 year old Buhrer ended his season with successive season ending knee injuries that required operations
Some how I can understand why these terrific players may not come back to be as terrific as they were . We have a new coach and this is his call and he will be answerable to all the decisions he makes if we don't have success .
Why would any club want to recruit them ? Because some clubs like to take their chances as Parra did with Richi Fa'aoso when he broke his neck playing with us .

I'd love to know what Willis Meehan intends to do next year, no club has been linked to him any more than us and yet he would be a cheap pickup due to off-field incidents and time away from the game. He would make a more promising footballer/boxer than Tyson Andrews so I hope he chooses league and choose a successful club..

Ferris is only 26, same age as Snake was when he broke his leg in 2010, after breaking the other kee in 2009.

It's harder to relocate with two young children @:cool:

At least BJ has no kids to worry about

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7