15 years ago v Penrith

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Date
Sunday, August 18th, 1996
Referee
Rob Alexander
Venue
Penrith Park (Sydney)
Crowd

Penrith Panthers 18 Manly Warringah Sea Eagles 14

Scrums 8 4
Penalties 7 9
Sin Bin (10min) M. Ridge
Match Scoresheet
Penrith Panthers Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Tries N. Catic S. Haumono
C. Gower C. Innes
N. Kosef
Goals R. Girdler (5/5) M. Ridge (1/4)

Penrith Panthers Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
18 14
Teams
Fullback 1. B. THOMPSON.... 1. M. RIDGE
Wing 2. F. PETERSEN..... 2. D. MOORE
Centre 3. R. GIRDLER..... 3. C. INNES
Centre 4. G. CASEY..... 4. T. HILL
Wing 5. A. HINSON 5..... J. ELSEGOOD

Five-Eighth 6. C. GOWER..... 6. C. LYONS
Halfback 7. G. CLINCH.... 7. G. TOOVEY (c)

Front Row 8. C. MacNAMARA..... 8. O. CUNNINGHAM
Hooker 9. B. BOYD..... 9. D. HASLER
Front Row 10. J. CARTWRIGHT..... 10. M. CARROLL
Second Row 11. J. GALL..... 11. D. GARTNER
Second Row 12. M. ADAMSON..... 12. S. MENZIES
Lock 13. D. BROWN..... 13. N. KOSEF

Bench 14. B. DREW..... 14. D. GILLESPIE
Bench 15. N. CATIC..... 15. S. HAUMONO
Bench 16. S. WADDELL...... 16. N. TIERNEY
Bench 17. G. FALCON..... 17. J. HOPOATE

Coach R. M. SIMMONS...... B. FULTON

from a really great stats site

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/

What was it 6 years ago the put 72 on us?

I still remember being down in manly for that game with Ryan and chuckwood and queueing at the bar and seeing that score. The look of disgust on ryan's face....priceless

As much as I loved the back row of Menzies, Watmough and Stewart, I still think the Menzies, Gartner, Kosef back row was the best I have seen.

firechild said:
As much as I loved the back row of Menzies, Watmough and Stewart, I still think the Menzies, Gartner, Kosef back row was the best I have seen.

by a country mile mate..

I well remember that 2004 game. The stupid ground announcer introduced the Panthers as the wooden spooners and us as into the eight before the game. 'Idiot', I thought. That was enough to fire them up and they dusted us. I've always hated that prick from that day. The new ground announcer isn't any better.

jjai said:
firechild said:

by a country mile mate..

watmough gives away more penalties , them 3 would have been lucky to be penalised 10times in the season while chocs average is roughly 3 a game..

3 Penalties a game is a bit steep,normally he is our water tester and gets 1 penalty and 2 knock on's

Which is fine,his knock on's are more than made up for in metres made and his penalty is to test the ref,i think its a order from Des

Totally agree about the back row comments, late 90's version is the best maybe that Manly have had. At least in last 30 years anyway

Interestingly in his book, Beaver rates Kosef as the best player he played alongside. That's a huge wrap for Kosef considering the quality of some of the players Beaver played with even just at Manly, with Toovey, Lyons (whom Beaver formed one of the most lethal combinations in rugby league with), B. Stewart and Hasler in the backs and Gillespie, Roberts, Carroll, etc in the forwards. Add to that the players in the NSW and Australian squads during his many years at the top. Kosef was one player I was desperately hoping would make a successful comeback from injury but his body just had to give way at some stage after so many injuries.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2