1978 Manly v Sharks Grand Final

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I wonder if on the 30 year anniversary of the 1978 Grand final, we are likely to see a repeat. I am not referring to the boring draw in the first game but the wonderful result on the replay midweek in which we smacked their backsides.

It could happen. Would be great to deny those scum from the Shire once again!!!!

A small part of me believes some of the NRL is rigged, always has been and always will.

Seeing how we're all about tradition this season the conspiracy theorist in me says the NRL would prefer a Sydney side to win the premiership.

What says tradition more than Manly and Cronulla ripping into each other in a final?

Yes it would be good C W lol

331nh1l.jpg

78 was the year I started to follow Manly and I only got to listen to the GF on the wireless, but even then it sounded so brutal.

I got the Manly Magic 5 DVD set for father's day and it has the game , so i am going to sit down tonite and watch it for the first time. although I have heard it is heavily censored I am really looking forward to it.

I think you might be getting confused with the '73 GF.

78 was when Manly played something like 5 or 6 games in 3 weeks because the SF and the GF were drawn and repalyed midweek 

C&C is correct. The 73 Grand Final was absolutely brutal and by today's standards about 5 players from each team would have been sent off. The 78 GF was pretty tame and neither side played like they wanted to win. Manly flogged them in the replay on a Tuesday or a Wednesday with the Wombat killing them. Manly had survived a midweek replay and an earlier loss to the Sharks in the first round to come back and win. The GF replay had to be played mid-week as the Kangaroo Tour flew out the next weekend.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2