1996 Retro Jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
96-retro-jersey.jpg

1996 Retro Pepsi Jersey - Pre-sale to 10th of July 
The 1996 Grand Final Pepsi Jersey is now available for pre-sale until 10th of July from the Sea Eagles Website Shop

Featuring the classic 1990's maroon top white bottom Pepsi design this jersey is a faithful replica of the jersey worn throughout the 1996 season.

This jersey also features the 50 years commemorative logo only worn during the 1996 season and is fully branded with the ARL logo, retro Pepsi logo on the front and upper back, and Fuji sleeves sponsorship.

This is the one you have been waiting for!

1996 – Manly Sea Eagles
- ARL Premiers -  Sea Eagles 20 – 8 Dragons
- Minor Premiers - 18 Wins, 4 Losses
- Geoff Toovey - Clive Churchill Medal Winner

Order NOW so you don’t miss out…!

Available in sizes S - 3XL

Screaming Eagle Price: $152.10  Info on this discount
Was: $169.00 

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/product-detail.asp?p=699&pc=12

How about this as a Manly side representative of our greatest players to represent us in the 1990s.  Could it be beaten by today's side?

1.  Ridge
2.  O'Connor
3.  Innes
4.  Hill
5.  Hopoate
6.  Lyons
7.  Hasler
8.  Roberts
9.  Toovey
10.  Carrol
11.  Menzies
12. Gartner
13. Kosef

14.  Serdaris
15.  Gillespie
16.  Bella
17.  Cunningham

Matabele link said:
How about this as a Manly side representative of our greatest players to represent us in the 1990s.  Could it be beaten by today's side?

1.  Ridge
2.  O'Connor
3.  Innes
4.  Hill
5.  Hopoate
6.  Lyons
7.  Hasler
8.  Roberts
9.  Toovey
10.  Carrol
11.  Menzies
12. Gartner
13. Kosef

14.  Serdaris
15.  Gillespie
16.  Bella
17.  Cunningham

That's a good question Mata ill say no imo that was a dam great Sea Eagles side in 95,96 & 97

Canteen Worker link said:
I wouldn't have Bella in the squad.
  Who would you have instead?  Hosking?  Bella played too many origins to be ordinary.  Couldn't fight though.

You could go for Jughead Jones or even the Solo Man. OJ and Cement could both play prop so having a backrower on the bench would be a better fit anyway.

Nonetheless a bloody good side. Would wipe the floor with the current mob. The only current players that'd get a look in would be the Stewarts x 2 and Lyon IMO.

Chip & Chase link said:
You could go for Jughead Jones or even the Solo Man. OJ and Cement could both play prop so having a backrower on the bench would be a better fit anyway.

Nonetheless a bloody good side. Would wipe the floor with the current mob. The only current players that'd get a look in would be the Stewarts x 2 and Lyon IMO.

That's a little harsh, considering that you are remembering these past players at their best, if you took some of the current players at their best I think they could stand fairly tall.

I agree they wouldn't win, but in two decades when we make a list of great players from this decade it will likely compare fairly evenly.

Mate even considering the current players at their best there wouldn't be too many that would get into the side named above. Of course most of the current squad will make the team of the decade for the early 2000's because we didn't exist or were rubbish for the first half of this decade.

Like I said, the only ones that I'd put into the above side would be Brett for Ridge, Lyon for Innes (just) and Glen on the bench instead of Bella. Kite could mount a case as well I suppose at his best, maybe nudge out OJ.

11, 12, 13......possibly the best to ever take the field together in the history of league. The unstoppable trio, apart they were all great players, together with Lyons in the middle they were unbelievable.

I think Jughead, OJ and Cement would be pushing for a spot too.

I also though O'conner was better as a centre than a winger and would possibly nudge Innes though it would be a tough call, and although Moore played a few Origins, he may not have been better than O'Conner there

Surely we could find room for Tooves on the bench? But IMO no - the 90's side would win, simply because it would be near impossible to score points against them. Hell, just the '96 team would suffice as a 'best of the 90's' - practically impenetrable in defence.

Crusher_Cleal link said:
Surely we could find room for Tooves on the bench? But IMO no - the 90's side would win, simply because it would be near impossible to score points against them. Hell, just the '96 team would suffice as a 'best of the 90's' - practically impenetrable in defence.

Tooves is in Hooker.

Personally I would put Hasler in Hooker and move Tooves to Halfback

I would swap Tooves and Des as well. At their best this line-up is easily in front of the current squad.

If you absolutely had to pick a team from today's lot and this list there would be a few who would be very close (Snake definitely, but who would be your kicker?, Kite, Gift maybe, perhaps Wolfie or Robbo on Hoppa's wing and Killer for Hill), but deep down I would probably go for every one on the 1990 list because we know how great the combinations worked. This is a truely fantastic line-up.

Snake would definitely push for a spot, but lets face it Ridge was an awesome fullback as well, and his kicking, in game and at goals was one of the best going around.

I would possibly look for a bench spot for Snake.
Lyon would come damn close to a spot as well. Bk from just a few years ago would probably make the team or at least the training squad.

I wonder how they would compete in todays game though?

Love this jersey and still have one from 1995 in going condition.

However I believe that they've got one fact slightly wrong and that this new jersey is the 1995-6 one 9worn in the 1995 GF loss against the berries) and not the jersey that the team wore in the 1996 grand final. The 1996 GF shirt featured the largeish blue world/oval Pepsi logo and not the red horizontal stripe pepsi logo which is being made now.

At the time I seem to remember the blue oval pepsi shirt coming out only weeks or days before the 1996 GF...but maybe memory is playing tricks??

Any thoughts - but regardless I love the new reto shirt! (yes the old one was cotton and so should the newie be too just like the fab 73 shirt)

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=180742.msg227690#msg227690 date=1245198269]
Bk from just a few years ago would probably make the team or at least the training squad.

...make the training squad for a made up team - I love it. 
[/quote]

Well its damn tough to name 17, you would have to go for a 25 man squad in case one of those players gets injured :D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6