1st Test v Sri Lanka

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Time to play selector. What's your line up for the next Test in Hobart now that Ricky has gone and Pattinson is out.

I'd like to see the following but not sure it would happen

Cowan
Watson
Clarke
Quiney
Hussey
Warner
Wade
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Starc
Lyon

I'm only picking Quiney because I'm assuming that he is still next cab off the rank. I can't see them picking Hughes, as we have enough openers as it is. Maybe Alex Doolan is a smoky on his home ground, but history suggests that they'll stick with Quiney (especially after Warney pumped up his tyres big time). What other options are there - Usman, Haddin, Christian, White, Ferguson

Maybe Quniey and Clarke could swap, but I'd like to see Pup have a crack at three and see if he can succeed there. Dropping Warner to 6 still gives him the freedom to hit out, and he has the opportunity to play that Gilchrist like role down the order. I think Watson is better at opener, but he is just as good a candidate at 6 so he and Warner could trade.

Siddle, Starc and Lyon pick themselves. Hilfenhaus gets benefit of the doubt as I don't believe Hastings or Johnson are any better options. I'd say he'd need to start showing something this test or he may struggle to get a boxing day gig.

We destroyed them with swing bowling over there so Hilfenhaus may be a good bet if he can find that extra 5km of pace

I like it C + C but I'd have Johnson instead of hilffy. I reckon the Lankans would prefer to face hilffy than Johnson. I agree re quinney. I'd give him another crack.

Hughes will bat at 3 so the SMH thinks. Has been a lot better so far this summer.

If he has sorted his **** out then should replace Cowan and bring in Usi.

Since Clarke doesnt want to bat 4 then bring up Hussey.

Not sure where that leave Watson batting, maybe in his rightful position of 6

and bowling as stated will be Siddle, Starc and Lyon with either Johnson or Hilfy. I'd go Johnson, isnt tight but has wickets in him, Hilfy has lost the mojo he had last summer and that is a shame.

Squad:
Michael Clarke (Capt), Shane Watson (vc), David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phil Hughes, Mike Hussey, Matthew Wade, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Lyon

Phil Hughes in.
Hilfenhaus 12th man imo.
I still maintain the Lankans would prefer to face Hilfy than Johnson.

Will we definitely play a spinner?? depending on conditions..maybe lyon for 12th man.
One thing for certain - Siddle and Starc and certainties. Lyon, Johnson and Hilfy fighting for two spots.

I don't know that Starc is a certainty. He copped as much tap as anyone in Perth (more than Johnson in fact) and picked up the late wickets to pad out the 6 for, whereas Johnson had 4 for. I don't know that they will go for two left armers, unless they really want to get some footmarks happening for Lyon against right handers. Hilfy is cannon fodder if the ball isn't swinging for him, which it isn't.

I'm a bit surprised about the Hughes selection, especially if they play him at 3. Hopefully he has ironed out his issues and makes a good fist of it, I can't see him surviving another dropping if he doesn't get runs. So i read the plan is Hughes at 3 and Watson at 4, which I'm not sure about.

Starc is a certainty C & C. If he's not in the 11 I'll walk to the game. And that's a bloody long walk from up here. ;)

Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Wade
Johnson
Siddle
Starc
Lyon
Hilf 12th

I heard somewhere (maybe here) that Warner could drop to 6. This has merit. I dont mind this idea, but given Watson's workload and for his longevity I think Watson is better suited at 6.

I have no doubt that the Lankans would rather face Johnson than Hilfenhaus.

Sheer pace won't concern the likes of Dilshan, Sangakkara and Jayawardene, movement will bring them unstuck though. All depends on how Hilfenhus is going coz he looked a bit ordinary at times in test 1 and 2

Team is apparently

Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Siddle
Starc
Hilfenhaus
Lyon
12th Johnson

Sri Lanka have no pace attack so the top 4 should be cashing in with some runs this test. Although I did read somewhere the other day that the average 1st innings score at Bellerive this summer is 91 or something, so the pitch maybe a little underdone after a recent resurfacing.

This Eranga character isn't too bad from them, bowls around 140km and moves it in a touch, should run through a side though.

Kulasekara will just hit his areas and wait for a mistake. I don't think Herath will be a major factor in Australia either

Hope Clarkey's knee holds and he can win me some cashola as highest Aussie run scorer.

Also great to see Hughes get a few. He looks a batsman.

Pretty low key days cricket coming off the last series

Not sure if this is the place to put it, but I just am still not seeing it with Khawaja. Have heard plenty of good stuff about him prior to his test debut but he didn't show a lot, and T20 probably isn't his game but he looks pretty ordinary every time I have seen him play that as well

Hughes made a decent crack at it coming back in. Looks a lot better, Cowan needs to speak to him and improve his game in the same way, out prodding very regularly. Then again by the end of the series his average will be in the 20's the way he is playing so wont matter.

Pitch looks a bit up and down hence the 4 50's so far without a ton. Think the 450 - 500 we look like posting will be a good total.

Watson to grab a couple of LBW's

on a side note - KFC Classic Catches - who is the dude over Elliott's right shoulder when they are running in after Elliott takes that catch?

lsz said:
Anyone hear anything on the Siddle ball tampering business?

nothing more than what you have probably already heard Isz.
Ball tampering 1st innings but no official complaint.
I would love to see some footage.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4