1st test: West Indies vs Australia (Jamaica)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Australia : 232 / 3 in 63.4 overs (RR: 3.64)
Overs left for the day : 26.2

Ricky Ponting (c) 124 no
Brad Hodge * 23 no

http://www.vcricket.com/Full/default.aspx?team1=West%20Indies&team2=Australia&matchdate=05/22/2008

What do yo call getting out for 12, when you have been left in test wilderness for 2 years and finally get a chance to come back into the game against 3 of the worst quick bowlers in the game (check their averages) on an excellent pitch.

I call it choking.

Fro, anyone. Katich is a good domestic player against domestic players. He just doesnt have what it takes to play at test level. Never has, never will.

Hayden looks like his hammys are shot so someone will have to step up as an opener. I will not write Katich off yet - he did break the Sheffield Shield record this year and that is no mean feat. Time will tell. (Though of course you are always right) ;)

I rate Katich.  He scored just about the best 80 I have ever seen at the SCG against India about 5 years ago. 

Dominated an attack that was turning it sideways. 

clontaago link said:
Katich is a good domestic player against domestic players. He just doesnt have what it takes to play at test level. Never has, never will.

FYI Clon, Katich 113 in the second test.  ;)

Katich scored his third test century. Not bad for a player who doesn't have what it takes. Does Clon want them to pick Hodge or that pretender opener from WA?

Matt Hayden :)

But I agree Katich is a far more refined bat than when he last played tests.

opening Bats around the country should be putting in a big off season training effort because there is going to be a spot open there very soon.

And as CW mentioned Rogers does not have it, economy of movement is very important, and he wanders around everywhere.

I don't think Jacques has fully established himself either. He has had his good moments but isn't a Hayden or Langer as yet. I would love to see David Hussey in the test team but the middle order is pretty settled.

yep CW, Jaques hasnt cemented a spot, in fact if Hayden recovers from his injury and Katich goes well in the next little while and Jaques doesnt, might make things interesting.

Yeah we have 4 million middle order bats, but opening is harder so there are less that are good at it.

Shaun Marsh and Phillip Hughes are my 2 young men to watch over the next 2 - 5 years.

I note that Shaun Marsh was top scorer in the IPL. Watson also had a very good tournament.

I wonder if odds are shortening at Warnie playing the Ashes series next year. I have a mate that reckons he is a special to do so.

Magill has officially retired from international cricket afetr turning up late for the second test. Warnie's odds must be shortening!!

I would have no hesitation in giving D Hussey a shot at opening. He is too good to not have in the side. Michael Clarke could also open, with M Hussey moving to 4 and D Hussey in the middle order.

Yes CW Marsh was top scorer, on a contract of about 50k

Watson got the official player of the series. and I reckon it will be the making of him.

Clon Clarke is far too loose technically to succeed as an opener, but is devastating where he is.

clontaago link said:
Magill has officially retired from international cricket afetr turning up late for the second test. Warnie's odds must be shortening!!

I would have no hesitation in giving D Hussey a shot at opening. He is too good to not have in the side. Michael Clarke could also open, with M Hussey moving to 4 and D Hussey in the middle order.

Clarke isn't a test opener.  If you were going to put someone up the order it would have to be M Hussey.  He played his entire state career at opener. 

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6