$2.5m/season on 3 players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Harmless27

Reserve Grader
Hi all,

So - putting all of the emotion to the side for a moment, it appears that our club will commit $2.5m/season (or more) to having 3 local juniors at our club for the full lifetime of their laying careers.

I speak of DCE, and 2 x Turbo's (for those wondering)

That is our core, with the hooker and 5/8 role to be filled with some cheaper options.

Thoughts on our strategy?

IMO - it isn't too bad. We have chosen the cream of the crop, and locked them in long term - avoiding uncertainty in future.

It means we will also have to get used to having 'bit part' players in many other positions.

This isn't dissimilar to the Storm approach - but it requires a MUCH STRONGER culture from within to bring about success.

Based on the reaction to Jamie Bruher departure if we were to lose Jake or Tom there would be a queue a mile long of ST contributors up a North Head to jump off.

Therefore getting those two locked up and taking up a reasonable chunk of cap along with DCE to build a team around over the long term seems like a very reasonable plan from Bozo.

I can live with paying DCE, TT and JT the house. They are essential for Manly's future. Cant agree with payments to some others though, while losing Buhrer, Knight, Gutherson etc

well it would be pretty common for 2 of the spine to be on 2M combined so not out of the ordinary.

Slater/Cronk/Smith would be 3M+
Thurston/Morgan 2M
Inglis/Reynolds 2M
Tedesco/Moses close to 2M

We need some good cheap players. Parcell is a great hooker not only to his ability but he is a cheaply ATM and if we re sign him early we can get him even cheaper. If he performs really well like B Austin did for raiders give him a pay rise.

well it would be pretty common for 2 of the spine to be on 2M combined so not out of the ordinary.

Slater/Cronk/Smith would be 3M+
Thurston/Morgan 2M
Inglis/Reynolds 2M
Tedesco/Moses close to 2M
Cowboys also have Taumalolo and Scott who are on big cash, Souths also have Burgess, and storm Have Bromwich.

Remember we still have Matai and Snake on the books for big coin (justified). Had either been able by now to announce a medical retirement I believe we would not have had the need or desire to offload Buhrer.

90% of our recruitment strategy probably hinges on the surgeons reports.

Blue sky is they both return in good form ... then happy days!

Hi all,

So - putting all of the emotion to the side for a moment, it appears that our club will commit $2.5m/season (or more) to having 3 local juniors at our club for the full lifetime of their laying careers.

I speak of DCE, and 2 x Turbo's (for those wondering)

That is our core, with the hooker and 5/8 role to be filled with some cheaper options.

Thoughts on our strategy?

IMO - it isn't too bad. We have chosen the cream of the crop, and locked them in long term - avoiding uncertainty in future.

It means we will also have to get used to having 'bit part' players in many other positions.

This isn't dissimilar to the Storm approach - but it requires a MUCH STRONGER culture from within to bring about success.
dce is a Queenslander.

There is no way that the $2.5 million would all fall under the cap.

Given the standing of the brothers in the local area amd knowing DCE has a nice chunk allocated from Foxtel, I'd hazard a ballpark figure of around $1.5 to 1.8 million from the actual cap.

That is completely manageable.

Pretty standard I would think

Warriors 2 seasons back had Mannering, Johnson and Hoffman all on 800k, add Luke, Foran, RTS, Manu, Kata, Matulino etc into that now and you wonder how they get them in ...

Remember we still have Matai and Snake on the books for big coin (justified). Had either been able by now to announce a medical retirement I believe we would not have had the need or desire to offload Buhrer.

90% of our recruitment strategy probably hinges on the surgeons reports.

Blue sky is they both return in good form ... then happy days!

At worst they have one year Left. That's a lot of cabbage to feed the rest of the team from 2018.

If where a player is born doesnt matter to the origin sides, why Should it matter here??? I consider any player that comes through our junior systems and makes the nrl a manly junior... Guys like dce and foz played a couple of years in our 20s side and developed as players under manly coaches, so why not count them as manly juniors regardless of where they were born

The Storm have made it an art form , pay 3 or 4 big players a motza, buy in 5-6 journeymen , Andrew rest bits and pieces players who are coached perfectly just to do a job.

I dislike him intensely BUT Bellyache is a master at this.

Twenty, not so sure at this point!!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4