2 Areas Manly Must improve

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
1 - Attacking inside the opposition Red Zone....this started in round 1 in 2016 against Dogs when in the early stages & continued all season - lacked options, depth, runners & guidance & often a poor kicking game in this area.
Not surprised we finished 6th in running metres yet lacked the polish to cash in with points....or get repeat sets at key moments.
2 - Controlling tempo of game ....often it almost appeared we were in slow motion & the opposition in fast forward in the play the ball....
This comes down to energy, lack of support players pushing up with the ball & getting dominated by defensive numbers & being in general...far too predictable - again forcing bad options at key times late in the tackle count....even after eating big metres, hurting tackle 6...alleviating pressure & letting teams off too easily as a result.

You don't win nothing when you concede an average 24 points a game. That is an attitude problem. We need more from our half back. I've seen no evidence that he can consistently control a game. We must get in a reliable goal kicker as well.

Damn...forgot to add Attack in the title Thread....oh well....opens up more topic value....
Your right regarding defence though....attitude is number 1 on the defence list with other components communication & technique also integral....throw in structure & decision making.
Now you have me started in defence, these junior rep coaches teach kids to get into the wrestle- then have extras join the fun & the chopper comes in last to (slow the play down)...then becomes the turtle tackle & many more to dominate...I feel these kids need to learn to bend, dig the shoulder in & drive with the legs with others coming in over the top.
Yes I love old fashioned tackling but think it actually gives the physical edge wins the middle with contact...plus- this wrestle /grab is employed in all the Holden cup games where they score 100 points a game!!
The best at NRL level with the wrestle (Melbourne) also add extra time peeling off & in the dance, constant offside & step up at the play the ball....when policed properly can let in plenty on the back foot....as the defence does not intimidate...turn off the tempo controller allowed by the refs...they leak against momentum like the rest.
Lastly, The 1 on 1 copybook legs tackle deserves to earn its own dominance - this applies especially to our Jake who makes a perfect tackle & the refs scream get off...same time as the player hits the turf!!

1 Trent
2 Barrett

Joking, he's Sh!t but getting better. As a work in progress coach he's learning quick enough. I think by his third year he will be NRL standard.

1. 5th tackle options
2. number of games in Canada (west coast...screw those east coast snobbos)

You don't win nothing when you concede an average 24 points a game. That is an attitude problem. We need more from our half back. I've seen no evidence that he can consistently control a game. We must get in a reliable goal kicker as well.
You do if you are Canberra!

1 - Attacking inside the opposition Red Zone....this started in round 1 in 2016 against Dogs when in the early stages & continued all season - lacked options, depth, runners & guidance & often a poor kicking game in this area.
Not surprised we finished 6th in running metres yet lacked the polish to cash in with points....or get repeat sets at key moments.
2 - Controlling tempo of game ....often it almost appeared we were in slow motion & the opposition in fast forward in the play the ball....
This comes down to energy, lack of support players pushing up with the ball & getting dominated by defensive numbers & being in general...far too predictable - again forcing bad options at key times late in the tackle count....even after eating big metres, hurting tackle 6...alleviating pressure & letting teams off too easily as a result.
Two things that a quality half pairing should hopefully fix. With our forward pack all we need is a stable half pairing to get us some points and we'll become one of the hardest if no the hardest to beat... Unless we sign Uate and James Roberts as they will be run through, terrible defence but they can always improve and hopefully that's all they do. if not then Uate's signing at least is one of the worst in our history. Only time will tell as they could also be one of our best, very risky signings though.

1 Trent
2 Barrett

Joking, he's Sh!t but getting better. As a work in progress coach he's learning quick enough. I think by his third year he will be NRL standard.
I feel like he's already beyond that point of a standard nrl coach. He has been thrown under the bus this year by the unlucky string of injuries to our best players throughout the year, on top of that it is nearly impossible to bond a brand new side with that many injuries to key players and many of the players have stated that he's the best coach they've ever had. Even Myles said this and he's been under the likes of Mal Maninga in origins and Australian coached I think in test matches. I have gained trust in Barrett after the back end of the season where we got a few matches with basically the same side and dce with Lyon in the halves (plays similar to that of Blake Green) and we were outstanding fighting with our hearts and winning easily. Then another set of injuries came in one after the other and we look terrible again but fought hard against the raiders. If there are no reasons such as injuries and we are doing badly next season he must go though. But I'd rather just bring back Des Hasler now then wait to find out...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought that Manly Vale was poorly planned and a bit run down. Also the parking on pittwater rd around the Harris farm pisses me off.

Dies anyone else have suggestions on 2 areas that manly could improve?

I've always thought that Manly Vale was poorly planned and a bit run down. Also the parking on pittwater rd around the Harris farm pisses me off.

Dies anyone else have suggestions on 2 areas that manly could improve?

More stop lights on Pittwater Road, Dee Why.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2