2011 Premiership side

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
With all the changes the only players left from our last Premiership are:
J.Lyon
B.Stewart
S.Matai
J.Buhrer?
D.Cherry Evans

D.Lussick *

The players left from 2008 (40-0)
J.Lyon
B.Stewart
S.Matai

Part of the problem was that in 2009 and 2010 we showed that we relied way too much on Snake. With him only playing a handful of games over those two years, our potent attack suddenly became limp and our defense suffered as well. Robbo did a serviceable job as a replacement in 2009 and Ben Farrar was ok at best in 2010, but they didn't provide anywhere near the impact from fullback that Snake did. And by having to play Robbo at fullback, it forced Des to play T-Rex on the wing. We lost a lot of speed without Snake.

Of course, having Chris Bailey as the 5/8 didn't really help things either.

In 2010 we were actually lucky to even play finals. Had the Scum's salary cap rorting not been exposed, realistically we would have finished 9th (even though not playing for anything, Melbourne won enough games that they would have qualified under normal circumstances).

2012 was good, but that effort in the preliminary final against Melbourne was hard to take.

2013.......robbed, plain and simple.

2014. I'm not saying we could have beaten Souffs in the GF, though we'll never know, but again we were robbed. How they did not call Josh Reynolds offside during golden point in the semi-final is anyone's guess. Even the touch judges told the refs he was offside, but they simply ignored it and allowed him to get involved in the play.

2015. Well, poor early season form and a horror run with injuries just about killed our season as we all know. We did come back though but that late season loss at home to the Speels hurt. We had everything to play for but didn't get it done.

2016 looks better already, on paper at least. Our forwards have been strengthened and we do have some depth in the outside backs. What worries me (other than having a rookie coach, but you've got to start somewhere) is the halves. Outside of DCE we are extremely light on there. If he goes down injured we really only have either Isaac John or Tim Moltzen who can play halfback, and neither are a patch on DCE. And we're likely to play most of, if not all of the season without a recognised 5/8.

Last edited:
In 2010 we were actually lucky to even play finals. Had the Scum's salary cap rorting not been exposed, realistically we would have finished 9th
So I guess Penn would have sacked Des and we would have had a massive clean out if the storm weren't caught cheating... You know, because it's a results driven business and all that.
Funnily enough, we would then probably have missed out on the premiership victory the following year.

So I guess Penn would have sacked Des and we would have had a massive clean out if the storm weren't caught cheating... You know, because it's a results driven business and all that.
Funnily enough, we would then probably have missed out on the premiership victory the following year.

As good as Des was, he did have luck on his side in '10 and '11 (remember Lockyer going down in the finals, Melbourne losing gf qualifier at home.) Not saying Manly wouldn't have go the job done without those events - but it did make it easier.

As for Tooves, he just needed a bit of luck in '13 gf with dumbass ref; and same as in '14 semi-final with another dumbass ref.

TBH you see the same amount of changes in every team, especially successful ones, due to salary cap pressure.

Looking at the 2016 squads of our GF opponents those years:

Warriors left from 2011:
Johnson
Lillyman
Mannering
Matulino

Storm left from 2008:
Slater
Cronk
Smith*

*didn't play GF but obviously would have if not suspended.

As good as Des was, he did have luck on his side in '10 and '11 (remember Lockyer going down in the finals, Melbourne losing gf qualifier at home.) Not saying Manly wouldn't have go the job done without those events - but it did make it easier.

As for Tooves, he just needed a bit of luck in '13 gf with dumbass ref; and same as in '14 semi-final with another dumbass ref.
With the Dogs losing GFs in 2012 & 2014 it looks like Desmond used up all his luck at Manly :)

With the Dogs losing GFs in 2012 & 2014 it looks like Desmond used up all his luck at Manly :)

He was bloody lucky to get away with the '2nd man phase/obstruction plays' in 2012 to get to the gf. And in 2014, a fair bit of luck to get into that gf - Reynolds offside, Jackson escaping suspension, weaker side of the finals pool.

Yeah, that should be the last ounce of luck squeezed out of him... hopefully.

Mate. Im still peeved bout that renyolds offside .tottally stuffed our field goal shot and was a penalty. Plus that b.s with his kick hittin the ref and thier feed. Ugh.
Was a blessing in disguise. Souths were always gonna win the GF no matter what. And whoever they played were in for a reaming by refs, commentators, and the NRL. Was a good year to miss out on the GF. And be glad it was the dogs that got the pounding

Was a blessing in disguise. Souths were always gonna win the GF no matter what. And whoever they played were in for a reaming by refs, commentators, and the NRL. Was a good year to miss out on the GF. And be glad it was the dogs that got the pounding

Yep agree 100%, and this year was always going to feature Wayne Bennett & Thurston, you could tell after about a month of the 2015 season.

Wonder who the 2016 seasons pick will be?

I wonder if there is a thread on oneeyedeel listing who is still in their team from 1986?

Or on the Sharls site is there a thread listing who is still left from... Ummm... The 79 Amco Cup?

Mate. Im still peeved bout that renyolds offside .tottally stuffed our field goal shot and was a penalty. Plus that b.s with his kick hittin the ref and thier feed. Ugh.

I have never screamed and sworn at the tv more than I did during those two moments. I do also remember that game as the point where I stopped watching NRL games that didn't involve Manly. I also now record them and only watch if Manly win. I just cannot stomach the **** referees the NRL employs at the moment.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2