2015 style of play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c eagle

Reserve Grader
What's everyone think about our style this year, after losing gift and choc 80min back rowers, makes me wonder if our style could change from the usual grind..... We have players now with off load ability and amazing backs to capitalise..... I just can't see us being able to play as we have in the past..... As the back rowers we have are not 80min players, maybe we Could see a lot of try's this year maybe.

Yeah will definetly see more offloads. Mateo for one who offloads alot.

Also the new rule around wrestling means there will be likely to see MB doing alot of running out of dummy half. (also supports the need for more offloads).

I fear the new rule changes are going to produce a game where its ad nauseum dummy half running and quick play the balls with guys being allowed to waltz off the mark as the please which will lead to you score, I score games which are dull as hell.

I would rather see them limit the interchanges a team can have that would be fairer.

Unlike others who don't rate our pack, I think we have one of, if not THE best forward pack in the game. For that reason, and with players like Watmough / Stewart gone who tend to get the ball flat, I'd love to see us stand deeper in attack, and open up the play to the outside backs.

If we can do that with some bullocking runs from Mateo, Symonds, Mason, Lawrence, Sene-Lefao & Lui (all of whom have the ability to bend the line), guys like Foran / DCE and Lyon will absolutely run a muck.

One thing I have noticed about players who get a run to begin with, is that Tooves smartly gets the players to keep it simple. Well those players have had 12-18 months with us now, so should be comfortable enough to create second phase - Mateo / Mason love to throw offloads.

I can see nothing but improvement in us this year, and will be disappointed if we don't deliver on that. I think we have a better overall team (baring in mind we didn't have the services of Glenn Stewart last season).

We are going to have some quality players playing reserve grade, who are chomping at the bit to break into firsts, and that always keeps people honest. Another thing it does though, is it entices people to play through injury (which I hope doesn't happen).

I think we'll win the minor premiership, and have a shot at the title.

A power game. Our pack will not only lift with Mason, but they will feed off his intensity. I think we will surprise a few opposition packs (and a few of our own supporters) with the power of our refurbished pack. I think Lawrence will lift to another level, bear in mind, he was in SOO contention last year already, and our young forwards will blossom.

A big year for the halves will result, and our backs will rack up the points! Huge year for the Eagles. HUGE!!

Bring it on!!

As mentioned, the new team will vastly change the way we play but its important to not lose that extra toughness while adding the bonus of fowards who can now play through , at & before the line. The style others have not been able to emulate has been based on killer instinct, attitude & often winning the arm wrestle in the tight tussles with pure determination. Ppl cant underestimate Watmoughs contribution in this area & if the fowards dont cover this facet of the game, a new pretty style relying on winning shootouts (high scoring games) may be entertaining, but thats not the footy that wins premierships.
Thats where Mason can be such an asset, his competitive nature is 1 that will have the engine room feeding off it & personally confident this will happen to hopefully compensate this area.
Agree totally with all the extra room for the halves, try scoring ability out wide & the ability to play some attractive footy...but the Seaeagles tough belly earned over the past dominating decade, must be the priority...

I am huge fan of Toovey, but one thing that Hasler really had going was the way he could fire up the forwards...they really hunted in a pack and took it to the opposition. It's one of the best things about watching Manly over the last decade. It's seems that the forwards operated as a unit and bonded like brothers. The turn over of players has made it tough, but I hope our pack really rips in for each other and the famous "Manly team spirit" comes to the foreground again in 2015.

I am huge fan of Toovey, but one thing that Hasler really had going was the way he could fire up the forwards...they really hunted in a pack and took it to the opposition. It's one of the best things about watching Manly over the last decade. It's seems that the forwards operated as a unit and bonded like brothers. The turn over of players has made it tough, but I hope our pack really rips in for each other and the famous "Manly team spirit" comes to the foreground again in 2015.

There really is no better coach than Hasler ,the way he can get into the players heads is second to none.

There's more to it than firing up. There was one year in particular under Hasler (2010?) when we physically dominated many teams yet couldn't beat them on the scoreboard. Tooves is pretty smart, we won't miss the boat tactics-wise.

I don't think the style of play will change much at all, the key players remain the same.

Probably try to emulate the right edge style from 2008, with the left staying exactly the same, only significant difference could be snake sniffing around some offloads from Mateo and Mason.

We have the tools to do what we couldn't last year, in the forwards, hopefully with the ability to set a platform the attacking shapes won't have to change too much! You have to remember that we already had one of the most expansive styles of play in the Como last year. A lot of the time we had to go wide without earning it due to our weak forward pack, I think if anything we may play slightly more conservatively this year,

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2