2016 Best Signing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Just curious to know who we think of all the players recruited to Manly this year, who has so far proved to be the best value. The list is only those seen in first grade this season.

There are a few choices.....12 in all.

Lewis Brown - Lewis has been the teams Mr Fix It in 2016. He's played hooker, centre and second row, but hasn't really excelled in any of them. Came with a reputation for ripping in but TBH other than maybe the game against the Chooks, we haven't seen that from him. For an international back rower his defence leaves a bit to be desired. Best value is a bench utility.

Addin Fonua-Blake - Former St Merge bad boy given a chance at Manly and he seems to be grabbing it. In 7 games played he's gained a reputation for some strong runs and from what I've read some opposition players rate him among the hardest players to tackle.

Pita Godinet - Samoan test half signed from Wakefield Trinity. Has spent much of the season in NSW Cup but has done ok despite being undersized when called into the NRL team. Boundless enthusiasm, some talent and according to one journalist should be our starting 5/8. But his size see's him get mauled too often.

Nathan Green - Centre who's been turned into a back rower at Manly. Shock selection for the first two games of the year before spending 2 months in NSW Cup. Back in the NRL side now and seems to be making a good fist of it.

Api Koroisau - Started at hooker, dropped to NSW Cup, brought back in as an injury replacement halfback and is now playing hooker again thanks to Parcell's hammy. Fairly good utility and rips in more than Brown does, though his defensive misses are a worry.

Darcy Lussick - Started slow and even spent time in the reggies. Since the tragic death of his mum he seems to have turned his game around completely and right now despite where we sit on the ladder is one of the form props in the NRL, and he seems to be giving away less and less silly penalties.

Nate Myles - TBH we knew what we were getting when the club signed him, a modern day Paul Sironen who seems to saves his best for rep games. Hasn't been bad, but at the same time hasn't shown the form that should have justified his Origin selection.

Matt Parcell - Very good speed, good defender but is prone to making the odd mistake with the ball in hand, often at crucial times. He would still be my starting hooker over Api.

Martin Taupau - Kapow hasn't lived up to his reputation for being one of the most damaging ball runners in the NRL. Is it how we've used him or is he flopping? I'm inclined to believe the former. For my money he's a prop who should be used in 20-odd minute bursts, exactly how we've used him for the past two games and the past two games are probably the best we've seen of him. His effectiveness in the back row is reduced by playing 80 minutes.

Siosaia Vave - Played all his games from the bench and his one game in the starting side showed why. Great, strong ball runner who eats metres in short bursts against tiring defences, but his size means a lack of mobility which has been exploited in defence at times.

Dylan Walker - A centre who proved in the opening 10 rounds that he isn't a 5/8. The switch from pivot back to centre has seen a marked improvement in form but this weeks brain explosion in trying to fight a door is going to cost him, and his team. Currently our equal leading try scorer with Jorge on 7 and is second for team points scored behind Killer with 40.

Matthew Wright - Signed mid-season from NQ primarily as a backup outside back and thanks to injuries to his new team mates has been in first grade pretty much since he got here. Played on the wing but really has no pace. Doesn't offer a lot in attack or defence and lets be honest, if not for injuries galore to our backline he would be in NSW Cup.

Vave improved the most, but he is not a new signing this year. It's just that you never noticed him before because he was a reserve grader until now.

Darcy and Api have been the best IMO. The rest have performed as expected, including Nate and Marty.

AFB has been an eye opener in his times on the field. I cannot fault Godinet's heart! He is a real terrier on the field. I like his style.

I think we were just starting to see the best of Walker too.

None of them have been really good IMO in every game my top 3 would probably be Walker, Lussick and Koroisau. Walker had a hard start in the 6 jersey and played pretty well but it had a negative impact on the team. Since moving to centres he has been awesome but then he punched a door...
Koroisau did not get an off season and had a slow start to the year but since moving to hooker he has shown what we have missed which is X factor, he brings speed, he hits like a truck, he has great passing selection and kicking to set up tries.
Lussick was really crap and spent some time in nsw cup but since coming back he has bought all we saw in him before he left for eels we need more lussicks in our side.
I think the team as a whole has been very inconsistent but these 3 have come back from their form slumps better than anyone and we have unearthed a real gem in api. He has got the vision of a great halfback but the hard hitting defence and speed to go with it. I didn't think api was bad at the start of the year, he just lacked a little game awareness and went back and comeback stronger, he's a little terrier workhorse that brings another dimension to our attack.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about Vave being here for the previous year so I'll exclude him.
If we are talking about value for money than I'd consider the cheapies AFB and Parcell as probably best bang for your buck, although Darcy Lussick's last few games have been impressive.

I discounted Taupau and Walker for almost a month off each, for dumb suspensions.

I'd forgotten about Vave being here for the previous year so I'll exclude him.
If we are talking about value for money than I'd consider the cheapies AFB and Parcell as probably best bang for your buck, although Darcy Lussick's last few games have been impressive.

I discounted Taupau and Walker for almost a month off each, for dumb suspensions.
Lussick wasn't cheap we are paying him 450k

Lussick wasn't cheap we are paying him 450k
Sorry Turbo I probably worded things incorrectly...I realise Lussick wasn't cheap I was just referring to his new found controlled aggression.

It cracks me up how people consistently refer to Vave as a new signing, He was here last year just bang average

I really like him but I think he is in the middle of a career year, don't think he will make waves at Parra

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6