2016 Player Opinions So Far

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Debate Time!! How do you reckon the players that have appeared so far in the top team have performed so far this season? Don't forget they're only opinions and apologies if I've left any players out.

Brett Stuart..WAS a great player for the club. I reckon his best footy is well and truly behind him and perhaps injuries and age have caught up. Suggestions of putting him to 5/8 are off the mark..his attempts at grubber kicks are pretty awful.

Jorge Taufua..hasn't been the same since he lost confidence under the high ball a few seasons back. A couple of injuries since probably haven't done his confidence any good either. At least he runs the ball back from kicks with some vigour. Maybe a Tony Williams type move to the back row is the answer.

Tom Trbojevic..A great player so far. Potential unlimited written all over him. I can visualise a long and good career ahead including rep honours. The club MUST hang on to him.

Brayden Wiliame..Finally broke the jinx and has been fairly consistent since. Has some versatility to slot into other positions if needed. Fair backup player but shouldn't regularly be in the top side.

Lewis Brown..To be fair, he has been played in a few positions so far and through necessity hasn't been able to settle in the back row where he belongs. He is a Kiwi rep remember but his "arm grabs" in defence are a worry.

Pita Godinet..Bought to replace Tim Moltzen, not really first grade material but can fill in at 1/2 hooker 5/8 at a pinch.

Api Koroisau..I rate Api fairly highly..shows good scope and flair in attack when filling in at 1/2 back and let's not forget what he often does out of dummy half. Needed in the top team.

Darcy Lussick..When it suits him he can produce some powerful hit ups and some good shots in defence. Has the size and aggression to match his opponents and in the last few games has been good for the team. Needs to consistently play like this.

Matt Parcell..Sign him long term. So far has been probably week in week out their best player. Proof that the decision to let Matt Ballin go was a good one. Can handle NRL 1st grade with ease.

Martin Taupau..More controlled "kapow" and less trips to the judiciary is what's needed. Has the reputation of an enforcer and needs to show it. He can be damaging in both attack and defence and really needs to recapture the style he showed when at Wests Tigers.

Josh Starling..At least he has a go. Seems to have been pushed down the front row pecking order and sometimes seems to come off second best in front row collisions. A bit of a shame really because him and Brenton Lawrence were the cornerstone of the pack not so long ago.

Jamie Buhrer..Guts are the one thing Jamie has. Is still getting thrown around and bouncing off the opposition. Can do some good things in attack, does the occasional good kick into the in goal area and can still make metres out of dummy half. Should come off the bench when the other team are knackered.

Jake Trbojevic (c)..Wholehearted efforts and consistent performances are his mainstay. Like his brother, will probably have a long and proud life in the game. Another couple of kilos would be of benefit, but can mix it well with his opponents as he is. I don't think he's played a bad game for the club yet.

Blake Leary...A bit like Jamie Buhrer in that he defensively gets outmuscled alarmingly regularly. That shows because he hasn't established a regular spot in the top grade. He appears to try hard but that isn't enough when back rowers NEED to be effective defenders.

Matt Wright...Fringe first grader with utility value at best. Every club should have a player that can cover a few positions and Matt also has plenty of experience in the top grade. Still new the club, he should get better the more he settles in.

Siosaia Vave..Love the way the big unit hits the ball up! doing a bench prop's job well. Maybe has found a home at Manly and seems to have established himself in the regular squad. His fitness doesn't seem to be at the level needed as he seems to exhaust out quickly. With a bit of work in that department better things might come.

Liam Knight..Sadly injured but found himself up in first grade at last. Big and raw, if he plays in first grade like he did in the under 20's , he'll be a great player. First he needs to overcome this injury setback and get another chance. I'm sure that will happen eventually and hopefully prove what he can do.

Addin Fonua-Blake..A few games in first grade then dropped? what happened? seemed to handle the pace and rigours of 1st grade allright and seemed undaunted playing against opposition forwards. Maybe will get another chance and still only young so anything could happen with this guy.

Nathan Green..Grabbed a back row spot in round 1 and then never to be seen again until now and in the back row again. This guy is a centre or winger ferchristsake. I can't understand some coaches playing outside backs as forwards. A successful switch doesn't always happen. Give him a go in the centres or on the wing instead of Williame or Wright.

Brenton Lawrence..Love his bravery and effort but I think that he is prone to serious injuries and gives away a lot of size to his opposite props. Had a great season in his first year at the club, but he seems to be on the downward spiral as age does not favour him and I don't think he could ever play with the same confidence that he had a few seasons back.

Steve Matai..There's that word again..injury..hardly spotted this season but when fit I still think he's one of Manly's best. Badly needed now and would lift the team with his presence. Can still produce absolute bellringers of hits on anyone and still knows the way to the tryline. Very much missed player.

Jamie Lyon..Like Brett Stuart, Jamie's best is behind him. He himself has probably realised this and he deserves to retire with some grace and dignity. The thing I've noticed mainly is he is getting brushed off in defence a bit and it rarely happened before. Still shows the odd flash of brilliance in attack but for a player of his calibre we need more.

Nate Myles..Has basically done nothing for Manly. I am starting to believe that he really came to the club so that Cherry-Evans would backflip. Nowhere near as effective is we know he can be. If he can play well for Queensland, why can't he play well for Manly. Needs to lift a hell of a lot to justify himself to his club, team mates and supporters.

Daly Cherry - Evans..I think the biggest concern is that Daly needs to have a regular halves partner. I know injuries have played a big part, but really, how many partners has he been with? I'll get to Dylan Walker soon, but he needs a 5/8 with him. regularly. As an individual, The only thing that mystifies me is that he makes some really strange decisions in attack. He doesn't do it often but sometimes will kick early, puts up a bomb instead of a grubber or not kick at all and die with the ball on the last tackle. He is a better player than that and I don't like to say it but he probably would like Keiran Foran back as a partner.

Feleti Mateo..Out of favour it seems. One of those enigmatic type of players that can almost win games on his own. Had a blinder against Manly in the 2011 grand final. Throws a beautiful pass but i'm not sure what his best position really is. A move to the front row could be an experiment at this stage of the season as there really isn't that much to lose.

Dylan Walker.. IS A CENTRE!!! played way out of position early on, now at where he should be. Most effective at running out wide, looked ordinary at 5/8. Tried to place intricate kicks inside the opponent's 25 area with little or no effect. Didn't show any attributes of what is needed as a 5/8, but seemed to play his natural game close in to the centre of the field. There was a lot attack taking place when he moved out to where he should be. Leave him in the centres.

Debate Time!! How do you reckon the players that have appeared so far in the top team have performed so far this season? Don't forget they're only opinions and apologies if I've left any players out.

Brett Stuart..WAS a great player for the club. I reckon his best footy is well and truly behind him and perhaps injuries and age have caught up. Suggestions of putting him to 5/8 are off the mark..his attempts at grubber kicks are pretty awful.

Jorge Taufua..hasn't been the same since he lost confidence under the high ball a few seasons back. A couple of injuries since probably haven't done his confidence any good either. At least he runs the ball back from kicks with some vigour. Maybe a Tony Williams type move to the back row is the answer.

Tom Trbojevic..A great player so far. Potential unlimited written all over him. I can visualise a long and good career ahead including rep honours. The club MUST hang on to him.

Brayden Wiliame..Finally broke the jinx and has been fairly consistent since. Has some versatility to slot into other positions if needed. Fair backup player but shouldn't regularly be in the top side.

Lewis Brown..To be fair, he has been played in a few positions so far and through necessity hasn't been able to settle in the back row where he belongs. He is a Kiwi rep remember but his "arm grabs" in defence are a worry.

Pita Godinet..Bought to replace Tim Moltzen, not really first grade material but can fill in at 1/2 hooker 5/8 at a pinch.

Api Koroisau..I rate Api fairly highly..shows good scope and flair in attack when filling in at 1/2 back and let's not forget what he often does out of dummy half. Needed in the top team.

Darcy Lussick..When it suits him he can produce some powerful hit ups and some good shots in defence. Has the size and aggression to match his opponents and in the last few games has been good for the team. Needs to consistently play like this.

Matt Parcell..Sign him long term. So far has been probably week in week out their best player. Proof that the decision to let Matt Ballin go was a good one. Can handle NRL 1st grade with ease.

Martin Taupau..More controlled "kapow" and less trips to the judiciary is what's needed. Has the reputation of an enforcer and needs to show it. He can be damaging in both attack and defence and really needs to recapture the style he showed when at Wests Tigers.

Josh Starling..At least he has a go. Seems to have been pushed down the front row pecking order and sometimes seems to come off second best in front row collisions. A bit of a shame really because him and Brenton Lawrence were the cornerstone of the pack not so long ago.

Jamie Buhrer..Guts are the one thing Jamie has. Is still getting thrown around and bouncing off the opposition. Can do some good things in attack, does the occasional good kick into the in goal area and can still make metres out of dummy half. Should come off the bench when the other team are knackered.

Jake Trbojevic (c)..Wholehearted efforts and consistent performances are his mainstay. Like his brother, will probably have a long and proud life in the game. Another couple of kilos would be of benefit, but can mix it well with his opponents as he is. I don't think he's played a bad game for the club yet.

Blake Leary...A bit like Jamie Buhrer in that he defensively gets outmuscled alarmingly regularly. That shows because he hasn't established a regular spot in the top grade. He appears to try hard but that isn't enough when back rowers NEED to be effective defenders.

Matt Wright...Fringe first grader with utility value at best. Every club should have a player that can cover a few positions and Matt also has plenty of experience in the top grade. Still new the club, he should get better the more he settles in.

Siosaia Vave..Love the way the big unit hits the ball up! doing a bench prop's job well. Maybe has found a home at Manly and seems to have established himself in the regular squad. His fitness doesn't seem to be at the level needed as he seems to exhaust out quickly. With a bit of work in that department better things might come.

Liam Knight..Sadly injured but found himself up in first grade at last. Big and raw, if he plays in first grade like he did in the under 20's , he'll be a great player. First he needs to overcome this injury setback and get another chance. I'm sure that will happen eventually and hopefully prove what he can do.

Addin Fonua-Blake..A few games in first grade then dropped? what happened? seemed to handle the pace and rigours of 1st grade allright and seemed undaunted playing against opposition forwards. Maybe will get another chance and still only young so anything could happen with this guy.

Nathan Green..Grabbed a back row spot in round 1 and then never to be seen again until now and in the back row again. This guy is a centre or winger ferchristsake. I can't understand some coaches playing outside backs as forwards. A successful switch doesn't always happen. Give him a go in the centres or on the wing instead of Williame or Wright.

Brenton Lawrence..Love his bravery and effort but I think that he is prone to serious injuries and gives away a lot of size to his opposite props. Had a great season in his first year at the club, but he seems to be on the downward spiral as age does not favour him and I don't think he could ever play with the same confidence that he had a few seasons back.

Steve Matai..There's that word again..injury..hardly spotted this season but when fit I still think he's one of Manly's best. Badly needed now and would lift the team with his presence. Can still produce absolute bellringers of hits on anyone and still knows the way to the tryline. Very much missed player.

Jamie Lyon..Like Brett Stuart, Jamie's best is behind him. He himself has probably realised this and he deserves to retire with some grace and dignity. The thing I've noticed mainly is he is getting brushed off in defence a bit and it rarely happened before. Still shows the odd flash of brilliance in attack but for a player of his calibre we need more.

Nate Myles..Has basically done nothing for Manly. I am starting to believe that he really came to the club so that Cherry-Evans would backflip. Nowhere near as effective is we know he can be. If he can play well for Queensland, why can't he play well for Manly. Needs to lift a hell of a lot to justify himself to his club, team mates and supporters.

Daly Cherry - Evans..I think the biggest concern is that Daly needs to have a regular halves partner. I know injuries have played a big part, but really, how many partners has he been with? I'll get to Dylan Walker soon, but he needs a 5/8 with him. regularly. As an individual, The only thing that mystifies me is that he makes some really strange decisions in attack. He doesn't do it often but sometimes will kick early, puts up a bomb instead of a grubber or not kick at all and die with the ball on the last tackle. He is a better player than that and I don't like to say it but he probably would like Keiran Foran back as a partner.

Feleti Mateo..Out of favour it seems. One of those enigmatic type of players that can almost win games on his own. Had a blinder against Manly in the 2011 grand final. Throws a beautiful pass but i'm not sure what his best position really is. A move to the front row could be an experiment at this stage of the season as there really isn't that much to lose.

Dylan Walker.. IS A CENTRE!!! played way out of position early on, now at where he should be. Most effective at running out wide, looked ordinary at 5/8. Tried to place intricate kicks inside the opponent's 25 area with little or no effect. Didn't show any attributes of what is needed as a 5/8, but seemed to play his natural game close in to the centre of the field. There was a lot attack taking place when he moved out to where he should be. Leave him in the centres.
Just too many average footballers. Couple of good surprise packets though.
Godinet is never going to be a world beater but plays like he means it and that's been lacking in some bigger names.
Vave one of the only forwards to dent or bust the line. Tell me we don't need that.
Knight, well his toughness the other night makes him a must pick in any forward pack.

If you were putting together an NRL side tomorrow, who from our current side would make the grade on form, consistency and effort this year. Not to say some of those that have been out injured a lot wouldn't, but based on actual on field performances I could only pick

Parcell
J Turbo
T Turbo
Walker

All our players can play the game.

There are so many factors involved in developing a collection of individual players into a team, but one essential factor is time together on the field, and I doubt we've had the same 17 two weeks in a row at any stage this year. We desperately needed that, given so many were new to the club.

My main disappointment is DCE. He is a brilliant player and potentially our best, and I really expected him to take charge of the team this year, but it hasn't occurred.

No idea whether it's his personality or just his style. Maybe next year!

If you were putting together an NRL side tomorrow, who from our current side would make the grade on form, consistency and effort this year. Not to say some of those that have been out injured a lot wouldn't, but based on actual on field performances I could only pick

Parcell
J Turbo
T Turbo
Walker

All 4 are either out injured or playing busted. Barrett is killing off the careers of the young Turbo boys.

DCE has to be there, the eggs are all in that basket. I'd also take Buhrer and Taupau, both on reputation and past deeds.

Parcell
J Turbo
T Turbo
Walker
Add Buhrer to that, otherwise spot on.

Have to agree with everything you said there.
After being premiership favorites at the start of the year, who would of thought this is where we'd be come mid season. Let's not beat around the bush injuries have killed our season.
Stewart needs to go to let Turbo shine.

DCE has to be there, the eggs are all in that basket. I'd also take Buhrer and Taupau, both on reputation and past deeds.
That's the problem, we've got a lot of guys living on past deeds and reputations this season.

Good:
1 Turbo
2 Turbo
3 Parcell
4 Lawrence
5 Vave
6 AFB
7 Walker

Bad
8 Lyon
9 DCE
10 Matai
11 Buhrer
12 TRed
13 Lussick
14 Myles
15 Taupau
16 Williame
17 Brown
18 Api
19 Starling
20 Wright

Ugly
21 Stewart
22 Matato
23 Green
24 Goodinet

Who I miss?

With the exception of the last four I think we have been solid despite the obvious coaching incompetence. Our guys need to be fitter and played in position. No more experiments. Give them simple instructions and train train train.

Good:
1 Turbo
2 Turbo
3 Parcell
4 Lawrence
5 Vave
6 AFB
7 Walker

Bad
8 Lyon
9 DCE
10 Matai
11 Buhrer
12 TRed
13 Lussick
14 Myles
15 Taupau
16 Williame
17 Brown
18 Api
19 Starling
20 Wright

Ugly
21 Stewart
22 Matato
23 Green
24 Goodinet

Who I miss?

With the exception of the last four I think we have been solid despite the obvious coaching incompetence. Our guys need to be fitter and played in position. No more experiments. Give them simple instructions and train train train.
I reckon Buhrer has been good since he's returned.Gets through a lot of work and is a counter point to Taupau,if either stay on the field long enough

Taupau hasn't been that bad he may not be as explosive as he was at the Tigers because he is playing 80mins at the moment. But he is gaining good metres week in week out when not sitting on the sidelines. He is a good forward to have in a pack. Most teams would want him. We just need to utilise him better whether it's a rotating role in the props or continues the role in the backrow with a decent half to feed him ball will make the world of difference. His stats are good I can't understand the negativity towards his performances.

Taupau hasn't been that bad he may not be as explosive as he was at the Tigers because he is playing 80mins at the moment. But he is gaining good metres week in week out when not sitting on the sidelines. He is a good forward to have in a pack. Most teams would want him. We just need to utilise him better whether it's a rotating role in the props or continues the role in the backrow with a decent half to feed him ball will make the world of difference. His stats are good I can't understand the negativity towards his performances.
Taupau's best use is how NZ use him, off the bench. Problem is we use Vave like that.

Taupau is playing in the back row basically because we have no decent sized second rowers. Look at who we have or did have this year - Ferris, Leary, Brown, T-Red, Green, Mateo. Other than the out of favour Feleti, all are lightweight back rowers. And the worst part is that most of the time Kapow has played he has been out on the left with a 5/8 (Walker) who did not have a clue about when to pass to him. He was being completely misused out there yet was still one of our best for metres gained and for tackles made.

If Killer had played 5/8 from the start like many felt he should have, maybe Marty would have had more impact on games. Having someone who knows how to position and use their support players would have been a lot better for us and Marty.

Realistically though, Marty should be rotating in the front row whether he starts the game or starts it from the bench. The problem is that he is the closest thing we have to an explosive back rower.

Good:

Ugly
21 Stewart
22 Matato
23 Green
24 Goodinet
Felatio Matato hasn't even had a run in the top grade has he?

If nothing else it does go to show that TPTB can find resolve to black list players to the NSW Cup, though beggars belief why Whatamouth didn't receive this treatment in 2014.

Kapow has made about 3 explosive runs all year, and I can't remember one big hit. His stats are no better and probably worse than a reserve grade 2nd rower. We bought him to be something special.

Intimidation factor is zero. Api hits harder.

As a 2nd rower, he is a failed experiment.

Put him at prop or replace him with a cranky school girl.

That is what I mean @Woodsie , Marty is being misused in the back row. He's not an edge runner with the speed or ball playing skills to be effective and he hasn't been given any good ball to play like that anyway. He is a front rower (or lock as it is these days) who is best suited to using his power game up the middle of the field.

A perfect example of how we've misused him in the back row was the game against Souffs. More than a few times that night he had only Luke Keary between himself and the try line. Keary is a turnstile in defence and Taupau could have given him nightmares. The problem was that all game Walker either ran the ball too much and didn't pass it, or when he did pass it he crowded Taupau for room and made it easier for their defence to stop him.

What we need is a hard running, pacey, somewhat skillful second rower. Just about the only one we have that comes to mind is Jorge Taufua. He's quick, has some ball skill and he's strong, plus his defence is ok. I wouldn't mind seeing Jorge used in the back row which would allow Taupau to play in the front row. And we can cover Jorge's wing with either Wright or Wiliame.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8