2016, the year that was , or wasn't

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'm hoping ( yes I know somewhat with trepidation) that this doesn't become just another " sack the coach" thread and that everyone might contribute some highlights , some couldabeens, some only if's, some lowlights (lots of those I guess) and what you have taken from the year.

Not too many highlights I know but for me the standout is young Tom, if he was fit he would be unstoppable , a future Blue / Kangaroo for sure.

Also great to see Brad Parker emerge at the end, I'm sure he's a keeper.

And Jake, no need to say any more, all heart and one the players we can build on.

As far as signings go, the standout for me was Marty, after a bit of a slow start finished with a bang, with him and Jake and maybe one other experienced forward , plus the rest we have I see positives ahead.

But for me the real highlight, and so happy to see was the return of Ferris, after the years he's had he deserves it.

The if only for me is simple , if only we could have had a year with a normal pattern of injuries rather than the Armageddon we experienced, I think we would be a fair bit higher than we finished.

The couldabeens for me are Leary ( never played for long enough IMO and he was never a 5/8, he played one full game and won our MVP in that game), and also Vave, he could of been a real standout but the club chose not to keep him.

The lowlights, finishing 13th, and that first 40 minutes yesterday, just a gut wrenching way to finish a year!

And from this year I have taken that we need a 5/8 ( badly) to take the pressure off DCE and a coaching staff who read Silvertails and engage us , because after all we know heaps more than them, and whilst it's been a terrible year I don't think too much has to change for us to get back into the 8 in 2017.

So overr to you boys and girls !!

We're going to need a couple of speedy outside backs to go with a new 5/8. Our last tackle options killed us this year.

I'm hoping ( yes I know somewhat with trepidation) that this doesn't become just another " sack the coach" thread and that everyone might contribute some highlights , some couldabeens, some only if's, some lowlights (lots of those I guess) and what you have taken from the year.

Not too many highlights I know but for me the standout is young Tom, if he was fit he would be unstoppable , a future Blue / Kangaroo for sure.

And Jake, no need to say any more, all heart and one the players we can build on.

As far as signings go, the standout for me was Marty, after a bit of a slow start finished with a bang, with him and Jake and maybe one other experienced forward , plus the rest we have I see positives ahead.

But for me the real highlight, and so happy to see was the return of Ferris, after the years he's had he deserves it.

The if only for me is simple , if only we could have had a year with a normal pattern of injuries rather than the Armageddon we experienced, I think we would be a fair bit higher than we finished.

The couldabeens for me are Leary ( never played for long enough IMO and he was never a 5/8, he played one full game and won our MVP in that game), and also Vave, he could of been a real standout but the club chose not to keep him.

The lowlights, finishing 13th, and that first 40 minutes yesterday, just a gut wrenching way to finish a year!

And from this year I have taken that we need a 5/8 ( badly) to take the pressure off DCE and a coaching staff who read Silvertails and engage us , because after all we know heaps more than them, and whilst it's been a terrible year I don't think too much has to change for us to get back into the 8 in 2017.

Sack the coach!!!! Just kidding.

Have to agree with the above mate. Tom and Jake to have a standout year next year. Tom, once his body really fills out, should be even better. And Jake is still very young for a prop/lock. Just hope they can resist the big money offers that no doubt they will be getting very soon. Kapow was very good the last 2 months. As was Lussick. Those two should be our starting props next year IMO. The 6 is a key missing piece of the puzzle but I think Green plugs it nicely and for the right price. AFB is another one who I think will have a big offseason and come back raring to go in '17. We have gone from an ageing side to a pretty young one now so we should be better for it next year.

Turbo brothers a highlight for sure. A surprise and another highlight was watching Darcy Lussick really step up!! I had written him off as a bad signing, really glad he proved me wrong.

Excited to see a true 5/8th step into our team and see what difference it makes next yr.

Hoping for a couple more signings to strengthen our squad!

Very much similar to me me Mark; love watching Ferris and hopefully no more injuries; great player! Obviously to 2 Turbos but also Mr Lussick. I was worried we had rehashed another failure but what a surprise, Darcy found his mojo! Parcel and big Marty showed plenty for the future. On the sad side was killer's retirement and even sadder, snakes fall from grace; both Manly Champions.

Pity about Blake Leary, thought he had something but I think after big willie jumped on his back, he was never quite the same player. Still think Mateo would have made DCE feel less pressure but I guess we will never will know,

Looking forward to what 2017 may hold.

GO MANLY

The forwards need to stand up from game 1 & set the bar that shows they will compete....unlike this season where most games that got tough...they would hold up the white flag....improved a little...not enough.
Attitude in general needs to lift, with support players pushing up with the ball & players fighting to win the speed of the ruck.
Need more options & better last tackle decisions including again...more enthusiastic, aggressive chases & contact.
Defence....where to start...maybe more commitment, talk & again...control that tempo...
I struggle to think of 1 game Manly controlled the tempo in the middle...Lussick & Jake made the odd good shot, but the opposition attack seemed to roll that ruck like a game of touch footy....

Fox Tv were probably complicit in creating that draw, so it's odd they should point it out.
Its such a shame that K Foran wracked off because he was a great 5/8 for MWSE, AND LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENED TO HIM SINCE.

I really enjoyed watching marty play second half of year. Very strong runner. Think he will be even better next year. Watching Tom come of age - even if on one leg was pretty special. Parcell promising. Jake always solid. And the big one for me Lussick. A few games at the end running for over 200m. Hopefully he continues that next year.

I thought the team had been improving over the last few months (despite the losses) but I was disappointed over last nights effort. I realise it's was our last game with nothing to play for but it showed a lack of pride as far as I'm concerned.
I hope the club is still chasing someone like Matt Gillett because we've lost a sh!t load of experience this year and I can't help but think we need that sort of professionalism to get this relatively young team moving in the right direction.

Highs. Not many but the Turbos, Darcy and Buhrer.
Lows. So many to choose but those first 2 games were a real disappointment and the writing was on the wall early. Injuries were just hideous but our attacking structures were non existent.
Hope. Not a lot unless we sign at least 4 rep quality players, 2 forwards a 5/8 and a center.
The Coach. It's not looking good but he's got 6 months from now plus the first 8 rds in 2017 to get his sh*t in a sock or it's bye bye Zoolander.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8