3 words and a 90's style win

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Guts, Courage and determination, that is the best way to explain manly's win tonight, actually lets make it 4 words, I think carnage needs to be thrown in there, because it looked like a battle field at one stage.

Nothing personifies the 3 words used above more than Mark Bryant, the man was down and out in the dressing room, in agony with a knee injury, but instead of lying back and letting his team mates tough it out, he decided he could tough it out too. For me now he will always have my respect, because his team mates needed him and like a true Eagle, in the style of our Fulton coached days, he limped back on that field and he toughed it out.

Forever seared in my memory will be the vision of Bryant receiving the ball from Orford, off the kick off from Le'Strange's winning try. Without complaint without any thought self preservation, he didn't run towards the line, but limped and hopped on 1 foot and still hit the line hard.

That to me is what the Manly Sea Eagles are all about and it was shown all across the park if not quite as dramatically as that shown by Bryant, the troops fell and everyone stood up to show who they were and they were Eagles.

The little men stood up to be counted and Orford was well deserving of Man of the Match, when the chips were down, he was the first man in chasing his own kicks, in everything he could be and leading the way as only a captain can, he put his hand up for a test or Origin jersey tonight, and despite what others said about Finch, Orford outclassed him and showed how to fight back and lead your team when the chips are down.

There are too many people to mention in this report, because so many players put their hands up and so many players showed what they are made of and every  single player deserves a mention.

Le'Strange was instrumental and outplayed the younger Balin, with dummy half runs that ate up metres and lead the way. He had a hand in the Stewart try and crossed the line himself.

Stewart was outstanding and tonight added both creative passing and kicking to his game, with several rescuing long kicks and a few attempts at attacking kicks, something that will be added to his game. He showed the signs that he can be a 5/8 one day and follow in the steps of lockyer.

To me overall I am proud of the boys, even with a loss I was proud, there was a lucky bounce of the ball try to the Eels which made it close but with the weight of possession, the penalty count and the crowd going against Manly, they won through on the day

Bryant dug deep and you've got to admire him for that. He may not be the flashest player going around but, as you said, to see him hobbling into the fray was inspirational stuff.

LeStrange was good, and I thought he took a bit of the heat off Orford. Orford's kicking game (long and short) was much better. I thought King ripped in as well.

I have never been impressed by Bryant, he is still only an ordinary player but that was one of the gutsiest and inspirational things I have see from a Manly player in a while.

I must have a very poor memory cause i cannot recall Manly digging that deep to win before.
Very QLD-esque winning against all odds.

Hear Hear. Bryant looked average, but take into account that he could hardly walk, then you have a Manly I am proud of.

Dan link said:
I have never been impressed by Bryant.
Yup, apart from 1 or 2 big hits over a few seasons that was by far his best perfomance.

As you say Dan with about 10 minutes left to go I was thinking well the boys showed a lot of guts to only go down by a few points with so much against them.

The win was just fantastic and will live forever in Manly folklore. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6