3rd Party Deals to be increased from 3 per team to 10

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Clubs divided on Cap
3rd Party Deals to be increased from 3 per team to 10

Brent Read | March 06, 2008

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012431,00.html

THE NRL will today face a backlash from several clubs over its plans to retain third-party agreements rather than raise the salary cap by $150,000.

In a move destined to split the clubs down the middle, the NRL is ready to soften the rules regarding TPAs, presently used by a minority of the 16 teams.

Under the guidelines, each club is allowed to pay three of its elite players $50,000 each from existing sponsors.

The NRL had proposed scrapping that system and rolling the $150,000 into the cap.

However, NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed yesterday the league wanted to keep the TPA system and make it easier for its clubs to access them to boost player salaries.

The move is likely to draw condemnation from a number of clubs, including Canberra and Manly.

Others, such as Brisbane and the Sydney Roosters, are fans of the existing system.

The NRL sent clubs a discussion paper on the TPAs recently and it is understood they were split down the middle over whether they should be scrapped.

"The responses were reasonably divided," Gallop said.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen was among the eight chief executives whose club voted in favour of retaining the TPA system.

Cullen believes the existing system allows clubs to bring more money into the game without putting a strain on their salary cap.

The alternate view, such as that of Manly chief executive Grant Mayer, points out that the TPA system makes for an uneven playing field because some clubs can't access that money.

"I guess the issue is you have to have a level playing field," Mayer said.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news...402557452.html

Meanwhile, NRL clubs will today be offered a compromise to the unpopular third-party agreements.
NRL boss David Gallop confirmed he would make a recommendation at a clubs' CEO conference to soften the regulations on third-party agreements. Under the proposal, the top 10 players at a club would be entitled to a marquee player allowance, rather than three.

well looks like its going to be the same 3 or 4 clubs at the top in a few years time from then on. everyone else is screwed

this will kill league

I agree Fluffy. Most clubs would kill to pick up 500k (10 x 50k) of sponsorship and all of a sudden they are supposed to get it for what I would imagine is a poor method of sponsors gaining recognition. How many player names 'proudly sponsored by...' is anyone willing to listen to on game day or any other time. They may as well just say that this proposal is proudly sponsored and supported by the Thoroughbreds and Broncos.

Might get to the stage where players have to change their names by deed poll each season.

Jetstar passes to Kmart who floats a beautiful pass to Dunlop who steps around Telstra and scores 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6