A contract is a contract is a contract

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
Sorry Manly faithful, that I have revived the Dugan thread, but I have had enough of players switching clubs whist contracted.

To get rid of all of this rubbish, there needs to be a serious revision of club, player and administrator obligations when players are contracted to a club.

To be fair, I like the recent revision that excludes clubs from anti-tampering violation, as long as clubs only approach players to seek a contract, beyond the current contract.

However, the NRL management of current contracts is a shambles! The law affords the game the right to deregister players for the duration of their current contract if the player chooses to leave the club or is dismissed for disciplinary reasons. There is no restraint of trade issues here. If a player violates their contractual obligation with their current club, or is dismissed, then the NRL should not reward this player and allow them to immediately sign a new contract. Their legal and rightful penance would be to sit out their contract, without pay.

Dugan shouldn't earn a dime from the game until his original contract with the Raiders expires. The Administration and Clubs have the legal right to teach him a lesson. We would end up with a better game.

Tallis was an unusual player transfer player situation. There have been many others. Call Tallis whatever you like, but I admired his stance to sit out a year, whilst contracted with the Dragons, before he switched to Broncos. The Broncos have always been good at getting who they want.

Do the Broncos really want to get Dugan, at any cost? Time for the NRL to step in and teach players like Dugan a lesson.

I thought the Raiders terminated the contract. If they didn't, wouldn't they have to keep paying him.

Yes, he gets no more money from the Raiders, but the question is whether he should be immediately allowed to be on the Broncos payroll.

Broncos have said they don't want him

He deliberately got himself sacked from Canberra, personally I don't think he should be on the park again anytime soon because of that

as much as I dislike the broncos they deserve congratulations for calling off all contact with this idiot after his rant today The nrl should have the guts to refuse to ratify any contract for this fool as they did with carney and only after he can show he is a changed person let him play again
too much money and no brains = this stupidity

manly 4 ever premiers 2013

I still reckon he will end up at the Scumdogs.
And why not? The family club can work miracles and they will sort all his problems in as little as three weeks.

I just created another 3 dugan threads seeing as though everyone seems to enjoyreading numerous different threads on the same topic.

Doesn't matter, they were deleted. Guess ill have to resort to reading only 2 to get the same information.

He hasnt broken any laws...just club rules and is entitled to make a living...

Buyer beware

There definitely needs to be a rethink on contract negotiations and transfers.

A system where you can trade a player for another player is something that should be considered. That way drop kicks like Dugan can be punted to another club who is willing to take him on whilst ensuring they get something in return.

Also player loans would allow clubs to give some young guns NRL experience albeit playing for another club for a short period.

Finally a contract negotiation window during the offseason needs to be incorporated so that negotiations don't dominate headlines mid season.

silvertail said:
Sorry Manly faithful, that I have revived the Dugan thread, but I have had enough of players switching clubs whist contracted.

To get rid of all of this rubbish, there needs to be a serious revision of club, player and administrator obligations when players are contracted to a club.

To be fair, I like the recent revision that excludes clubs from anti-tampering violation, as long as clubs only approach players to seek a contract, beyond the current contract.

However, the NRL management of current contracts is a shambles! The law affords the game the right to deregister players for the duration of their current contract if the player chooses to leave the club or is dismissed for disciplinary reasons. There is no restraint of trade issues here. If a player violates their contractual obligation with their current club, or is dismissed, then the NRL should not reward this player and allow them to immediately sign a new contract. Their legal and rightful penance would be to sit out their contract, without pay.

Dugan shouldn't earn a dime from the game until his original contract with the Raiders expires. The Administration and Clubs have the legal right to teach him a lesson. We would end up with a better game.

Tallis was an unusual player transfer player situation. There have been many others. Call Tallis whatever you like, but I admired his stance to sit out a year, whilst contracted with the Dragons, before he switched to Broncos. The Broncos have always been good at getting who they want.

Do the Broncos really want to get Dugan, at any cost? Time for the NRL to step in and teach players like Dugan a lesson.

In regards to Tallis, even though he sat out a year in 1996, he was still being paid by Super League, and for a lot more than what he was getting at St George.
In regards to Dugan, sure, he manipulated the situation to get himself sacked, but probably not before his manager put feelers out there to see who may be intersted, and more important, if they had the room to fit him in under the salary cap, but as he at the time didn't bring the game into disrepute, he was free to join any club that was willing to take him in.

MWSE said:

A system where you can trade a player for another player is something that should be considered. That way drop kicks like Dugan can be punted to another club who is willing to take him on whilst ensuring they get something in return.

Also player loans would allow clubs to give some young guns NRL experience albeit playing for another club for a short period.

Finally a contract negotiation window during the offseason needs to be incorporated so that negotiations don't dominate headlines mid season.

Good ideas, certainly better than what we have at the moment

silvertail said:
MWSE said:

Good ideas, certainly better than what we have at the moment

The problem is that these issues should be covered under the CBA struck between the RLPA and the ARLC. However the ARLC is far more concerned with placating the players concerns over how much they are going to be paid to deal with this issue.

zabble said:
MWSE I like the 'on loan' idea very much

Yea just imagine a team like the Dragons who are in desperate need of some quality players would be able to get a gun young player like Cornish from the Raiders on loan for the season. Win win for both teams.

Or George Rose to the Tigers for the rest of the season.

Peter C said:
In regards to Dugan, sure, he manipulated the situation to get himself sacked, but probably not before his manager put feelers out there to see who may be intersted, and more important, if they had the room to fit him in under the salary cap, but as he at the time didn't bring the game into disrepute, he was free to join any club that was willing to take him in.

i think your giving Dugan way to much credit in regards to him being smart enough to manipulate the situation. I think he's just an out and out f***wit, who will probably end up proping up a bar for the rest of his life in some shiithole country town , telling anyone who'll listen as to how great he could've been.
The manager part I can believe.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4