A powerful NRL committe plot the demise of golden point extra-time

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
manlyfan76 said:
As soon as its gone the better.

Agreed. The 10 minutes extra time on Monday night was embarrassing for the NRL & painful to watch!

Well as long as everyone doesn't start bitching about draws again like they used to before golden point came in then okely dokely.

"A draw leaves everyone flat"

"There needs to be a result"

"It's not good for spectators"

"We play for wins, not draws"

And the old list went on and on.

I think extra time should be changed to tries only. A make it it extra time like soccer, not golden point.

It should hopefully make for some exciting footy.

The field goal-a-thon is so boring.

Why does it take a powerful committee:huh:

The ARLC can just pass the motion and its done.
No one likes it and it was introduced very late in the RL history anyway.

The Players' welfare is compromised by the extra minutes of play - this should drive the Committee's decision.

globaleagle said:
Well as long as everyone doesn't start bitching about draws again like they used to before golden point came in then okely dokely.

"A draw leaves everyone flat"

"There needs to be a result"

"It's not good for spectators"

"We play for wins, not draws"

And the old list went on and on.

I don't remember hearing any of that after a draw in the NRL. It was only after QLD won a state of origin series on the back of a drawn match that some sections of the media had a cry.

HappilyManly said:

The ARLC can just pass the motion and its done.
No one likes it and it was introduced very late in the RL history anyway.

The Players' welfare is compromised by the extra minutes of play - this should drive the Committee's decision.

I actually like it just the way it is.

I don't like it the way it is, Golden Try is the way to go...and if no try's at end of an extra 5 mins each way...a draw!!

FAR more exciting than this fieldgoalathon!!

And that game on Monday night was fair dinkum boardering on the ridiculous!!

I agree in the regular season no need for golden point, if after 80 mins of footy the points are even then so be it.

However in SOO or finals then there is a need for a result and we need golden point or a way of determining a result.

No extra time...draw is a draw.....thast life, why give teams more time to score points to win the match if they couldnt do it in the 80 minutes.

change the current format or get rid of it. Never liked the idea, dont like it in practice and had no problems with a draw. If two teams end up even at the end of 80 both deserve something

I think golden try with no penalty or field goals allowed during those 5 min periods. I think we would see some amazing ball movement.

I've also been uncomfortable with golden point in the semis. Thought of a premiership coming down to a fg shoot out doesn't seem right.
I think in finals extra time should be 10 mins each way with no golden point. If its still drawn then go for golden try/point.

I don't think you can take out Penalty goals or Field goals. They are a part of the game.

My solution would be either 5 mins each half and whoever has scored more points wins. If scores are still level then draw.

Or scrap the whole thing all together. Not good enough to win after 80 mins then share the spoils.

Make the ladder more interesting other than F/A.

Change competition points system.

0 points - loss
1 point - Draw
2 points - Golden point field goal win.
3 points - Regular win or Try/penalty goal in Golden point extra time.

I don't mind a draw for the regular season. I would prefer 1 point over zero points. Maybe for finals and origin they can play an extra 10 mins per half for a result. If no result after that then 5 min per half golden point. Lol i think i maybe trying to kill the players.

MissKate said:
HappilyManly said:

More's the point, who will be on this 'powerful committee'

Probably the same people dan wants on the silvertails' powerful committee!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6