A question . . .

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
. . . to put to Easts:
If you are so concerned with the welfare of your players, why haven't you offered Anthony Watts the same counselling/chances for his alcohol addiction as you have for Carney?

I think we all know the answer: the number of chances/backdowns/feeble excuses etc is directly proportional to the player's ability to win a match.

Why did manly not suspend choc for speeding ? or tony williams ? may not be alcohol related but deffinately worthy of suspension, obviously it is their ability to win matches that makes the decisions for staff to deem what their suspension should be. In my eyes Manly would do the same thing. which is sad.

Who is to say the haven't? This isn't the first incident that has angered the Chooks with Watts. He has already had a few warnings but just because he isn't as high profile as Carney we hadn't heard about them.

I've had similar discussions with someone today, and as sport these days is a business, it is run the similar to any other business.

And most businesses will give more leniency to those who are most valuable to them, it's maybe not fair but it's a fact of life.

I think it's really weird that the club would stand him down to do nothing until he gets over whatever he has. I would have thought that living with mum, training, then playing would be better than sitting at home navel gazing. The guys not an alcoholic, just a young stupid impressionable kid with to much time on his hands.
By the way, is his mum's living expenses up here covered by the salary cap?

Why do you think he's not an alcoholic?

Thought you would know all this:

"The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, IV, defines alcohol abuse as drinking despite alcohol-related physical, social, psychological, or occupational problems, or drinking in dangerous situations, such as while driving.
For someone who is alcoholic or alcohol dependent, the symptoms include all of those associated with alcohol abuse (above). But alcoholics also continue to drink in spite of all the problems it has caused in their lives."

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/about/a/symptoms.htm

Describes young Todd, does it not?

He is just a chip off the old block! I know a few guys here in Canberra that played against Carney Sr. They say that they are like peas in a pod........

I'm not close enough to diagnose Toddy, so I wouldn't paint him as an alcoholic, other than to say twelve months ago he held down a job in a hotel and then went on to play football at a high level. My assessment would start at looking at the lifestyle of the guy. Alcoholics don't usually drink out of boredom which I think this guy is. My assessment, limited as it is, would suggest that he is impressionable, easily led with not much to occupy himself and just a little bit stupid. Most adolescents abuse drink sometimes in their youth for the above reasons, and that abuse doesn't necessarily mean that you're an alcoholic. Just as smoking a little weed in ones youth doesn't necessarily mean that you're a drug addict.

Fair enough.
Though it seems he really wanted to stop boozing, or at least he had every reason to stop, and he promised to stop ... but he continued to do it. He either couldn't control the urge or else he is even more stupid than I thought.

DSM5 said:
By the way, is his mum's living expenses up here covered by the salary cap?

If she moves it definitely should be, unless he pays it out of his own pocket (hahahahahaha).

I remember Fui Fui's son's trip was charged at $1500 by Roobert, i mean Schubert, and was classified as 'a move to benefit the player'. Even if Carney sits on his ass the whole time it should count.

If the club pays for it, it should come under the cap, or if someone pays for it for the club, ie. a third party.

If she pays herself, or Carney pays for her, ie. 'Pay for your mother to move up here bonehead or you will be sacked' then it wouldn't have to be.

As to the whole issue of what Carney has done, and how he should be treated - these are my thoughts :

I honestly think he is an idiot, he obviously is dumb to go out drinking given the recent headlines, but he didn't actually do anything horribly wrong by anyone but himself and the club so I think the media should lighten up a little. There was no incident, no disgusting behavior, no suggestion he was even drunk. People are getting acting like what he did in and of itself deserves severe punishment. This is not the case, he only deserves punishment in light of his previous behavior and only in line with the expectations placed on him by the club.

In fact if as is reported he went out had two drinks and went home without incident, that is fairly clear evidence to me that he is in control of his drinking, as someone out of control would not have stopped at two. I don't want to defend him, as he is obviously impaired in his ability to make good decisions and is clearly not a good example for kids, or a shining light of our game - character wise, but if the club did not make it explicitly clear that he was expected to not only manage his drinking but also to refrain for drinking completely then they have no grounds for further punishment.

The club should suspend him if they told him that is what they would do if he went out drinking, otherwise they should tell him that now and give him a chance to live within the rules. Clearly he should be off the grog, but unless he either broke club rules, or club direction to not drink then he shouldn't be punished. The key here is for the club to be consistent with what they told the player they would do if he went drinking, if the club was so dumb as to not lay down any guide lines about what their actions would be then they can't expect the player to follow them. With the Roosters who have a terrible record of managing problem players I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Carney a slap on the wrist last time and then didn't make it clear what was expected of him in the future, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Rusty said:
. . . With the Roosters who have a terrible record of managing problem players I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Carney a slap on the wrist last time and then didn't make it clear what was expected of him in the future, I wouldn't be surprised at all.
You must be joking. I would be astonished if they did not lay down some clear requirements after the drink drive saga. It defies logic to suggest otherwise.

Is it no surprise teflon todd has turned to drink, being stalked so badly by gallop would turn anyone into an alcoholic

My understanding is that Carney escaped a heavy sentence from the court by promising the magistrate that he would attend AA, not drink, admitted he was an alcoholic etc.
That was a bunch of lies, so he should be held in contempt of court at the very least.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Rusty said:
. . . With the Roosters who have a terrible record of managing problem players I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Carney a slap on the wrist last time and then didn't make it clear what was expected of him in the future, I wouldn't be surprised at all.
You must be joking. I would be astonished if they did not lay down some clear requirements after the drink drive saga. It defies logic to suggest otherwise.

Oh I agree, it makes perfect sense to be very clear, and most clubs would have been, just with the Roosters I wouldn't be surprised if they had failed to do so.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2