a quick chat with David Perry

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

brookiegreg

Reserve Grader
Yesterday (Thurs 6th Oct) at the fan reception morning at Brookvale Oval I had a brief chat with David Perry while we were all standing around and waiting for the players to turn up.

Amongst other things, I was interested in finding out what sort of bloke he is and how approachable he is. It turns out David is an approachable and a straight talking sort of bloke.

I asked David about the recent successful membership and merchandising initiatives and whether these have been his initiatives. He said that these things were due to a team effort: Larissa who as we know has come from working with the Sydney Swans, a Melbourne company who has brought AFL marketing/merchandising experience, and his own marketing experience working with the St George Dragons.

I complimented David on how good I felt both these areas have been and that at last the Sea Eagles had been brought into the 21st century in these vital areas of membership and merchandising.

And I mentioned how proactive and energetic Larissa's work had been, also mentioned that I was part of the silvertails website and that many people here had been impressed with her work.

I didn't bring it up but the Zorba situation but it came up in conversation about the sort of unexpected things he had to handle on the run in the job, Perry didn't shy away from mentioning Zorba and said "mate that definitely wasn't planned" but was just something that he had to handle once it flared up. We talked a little about Zorba and Perry agreed that he was a club ornament and did a lot of very good things for the players and hinted that there might be a role for Zorba in the club. Perry agreed that Zorba's many strengths were with his work with the players.

But at the same time he said that he felt Manly would be well served by having a media person who had a modern approach and was energetic, tech & media savvy; and I agreed that those were my thoughts too. My interpretation was that Perry would like to get the media equivalent of Larissa :D

David Perry finished up by returning to the money issue: basically his job was to make the club financial and it was all about the money and keeping Manly out of the red and making it successful as well. He said 'mate those goalposts out there don't have money growing on them' and that he's got to make it happen and make the club work financially.

Anyway Scott Penn was approaching fast so I thought it best to thank David and say goodbye. He is a good bloke to talk to and thanks very much David for a good chat!

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Thanks for the positive post Greg
I met David on Sunday night upstairs after the players left for the night, we spoke about sponsorship and he is definately on the right track. If the funds are not there it's up to blokes like David to ensure that's fixed, if we want to continue as a competitive club in the modern era you must make enough money to do so and I'm sure he is the right bloke for that job.

Great post Brookie. Nice to get hear what our new CEO is like. Hopefully he can make some positive improvements to the club during his time. This will have to start with retaining current players and ensuring we have a standout team (and coach) for the next few years.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6