A serious injury

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Will occur while Bellamy is coaching Melbourne unless there is serious action taken.
When Choc flared up in the 1st half - I think it was Vave crushing DCE directly & intentionally applying pressure on his neck.
This imo was why his neck was injured after the 2nd crusher was applied near the tryline.
It gets to a point where his players can get suspended, but like a dog owner what about the responsability & contribution of Bellamy.
Ppl rave about this being related to Storms great wrestling ability but theres a line in the sand between good dominating defence which I can appreciate & aggressive play in the ruck which is a great part of the game & then this potentially deadly or crippling tactics that need to be outlawed.
Maybe coaches should be liable for suspension??
May seem like an over reaction but I fair dinkum think Bellamy's tactics will seriously injure a player - hopefully not permanently.

We should have fired up more, like in the match last season. If they are cheating then show them the same mongrel. While it was a tight, tough match there didn't seem to be the same feeling as last year.
Melbourne will beat every team that doesn't belt them. They hardly dropped the ball all night, so we weren't forcing them into errors.

No - surely it's just a coincidence that every new Storm player inadvertently slips into a perfectly-executed crusher tackle. Otherwise - *gasp!* - you'd have to believe they were coached to do it…

Ron E. Gibbs said:
No - surely it's just a coincidence that every new Storm player inadvertently slips into a perfectly-executed crusher tackle. Otherwise - *gasp!* - you'd have to believe they were coached to do it…

Been like it for years - many sides have complained but nothing gets done. Of course they are coached that way.

I think that losing tonight wasn't the worst thing that could happen - we will go away from this game knowing that our big boppers need to aim up and then smash the opposition and maybe the drizzle's cheating tactics will motivate them for the next clash.

It is so infuriating watching the storm and their tactics which are so far from the spirit of the game they should be sat out for a couple of seasons - especially Smith I would rate him as a champ because he is a seriously good footballer and doesn't need the crap in his game - arms around the neck knees leaning on the tackled playyer, arm twisting to turn the ball player around.

Whenever i get worked up like this I like to think about bellamy slumped in the sheds after the loss to the warriors last year...too sad to go out and commiserate his players or congratulate them on a good season...poor craig running his hand through his hair...thinking about what a faliure he was at SOO...how his team have never really won anything but a wooden spoon...

Now I feel MUCH BETTER!

The crusher tackle has to go. It is a serious problem.

Tonight, I got a sick feeling when I saw DCE in that tackle, thankfully his neck was not broken.

This kind of play is not in the spirit of the game and this is not how you win games.....!

Something really should be done, how would the scum players feel if they permanently injured someone, would Bellamy take responsibility for that???

I've f*cking HAD it with this team. Is Cameron Smith some sort of protected species or something? What's it take for some action with this bloke? Does he have to take a gun on the field and actually shoot someone before anything gets done about him?

I'd hate to open an old and tired debate, but I have to think that in the "bad old days" this sort of thing would have been nipped in the bud by people like Terry Randall or Ned Kelly. I know I know, but still ...... I just about wept to see poor Choc ready to deck Vave, then you could see the cogs ticking over in his head "Gaaaaahhhh it will be ME that gets suspended if I touch the grub".

Pah, somebody stop me.

Its not just Melbourne doing it - most clubs are teaching it. But granted Melb are the pioneers and champions at all.

What the coaches have to understand is this.

When not if but when a player gets seriously injured during one of these illegal tackles it is going to be a Litigation Nightmare.

If the offending player admits that he was taught this tackle (manouvre) the liability will shift to the coaching staff. The player will be judged to be carrying out the coaches instructions.

And because it is outside the rules of the game and the tackle is a deliberate premotivated and part of the team's tactics, the insurers might be able to deny their liability.

Coaches have a duty of care to player safety. Therefore by coaching these "tackles" which are outside the rules of the game, they are contravening this responsibility and if someone is paralysed or worse this will put coaches in a very precarious financial situation.

Sheikheagle said:
Brookvale said:
Its simple, just stay down and wait for the penalty like lowrie did.

Can someone tell me what Kingy was placed on report for it was hard to tell from the hill.

King will have little to answer for, bounced up off a teammate in the collision & came in hard- penalty sufficient- still got him high. If the bloke gets up & plays it theres not even a penalty here....
Some are pointing out players are trained to wrestle, very true. The ground war around the ruck dictates speed of the the play giving control(momentum) to the team who do it best - no prob with that.
I still maintain Storm take it to another level - not brilliant scientific discoveries as ppl preach but underhanded dangerous techniques I do not see ANY other teams performing.
For a moment last night I feared DCE was that victim, but really , a career threatening injury is not a pleasant thought regardless of who the player is....

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Its not just Melbourne doing it - most clubs are teaching it. But granted Melb are the pioneers and champions at all.

What the coaches have to understand is this.

When not if but when a player gets seriously injured during one of these illegal tackles it is going to be a Litigation Nightmare.

If the offending player admits that he was taught this tackle (manouvre) the liability will shift to the coaching staff. The player will be judged to be carrying out the coaches instructions.

And because it is outside the rules of the game and the tackle is a deliberate premotivated and part of the team's tactics, the insurers might be able to deny their liability.

Coaches have a duty of care to player safety. Therefore by coaching these "tackles" which are outside the rules of the game, they are contravening this responsibility and if someone is paralysed or worse this will put coaches in a very precarious financial situation.

Liability should shift to the officials. They are the ones that tolerate this nonsense on the field, and through their inaction are condoning the practice. You will quickly find that every coach will cease and desist with these tactics if everytime it is employed it draws a penalty. Penalise, report, suspend.....simple way of fixing this blight on the game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6