A sickening thought!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Packer buying into Souths.

Smith doing a deal to get Burgess back.

Brown paper bags being circulated like at a school tuck shop in the 1960's.

Could we see a decade of Souths dominance, where no team except the one favoured by the No Real Leadership gets a look in?

Could we see the Dragons longest run of Premierships in a row under threat?

I bloody hope not BUT gee if you read the forums, any of the newspapers or talk to any Souths fans they al reckon it's possible.

Thoughts everyone.

I just had a bet with my work colleague as to when we'd next read a Telegraph without a Souffs story . . .
Both of us reckon it will be around the middle of the cricket season.

No.

In the salary cap era it is next to impossible to have a saints like run.

Will they be a contender for many years? Yes much like we were / are
Next year are they one serious injury away from losing their potential? Yes...no GI or one of the burgess boys they are vulnerable

As i have said before after every GF there is talk of a dynasty (and the inevitable "coach is already back to work after the GF" ) which rarely stands up

The Who said:
I just had a bet with my work colleague as to when we'd next read a Telegraph without a Souffs story . . .
Both of us reckon it will be around the middle of the cricket season.

I flew back to Brisbane a few days after we won in 2008/11, there wasn't one story by then.

I'm at Sydney airport flying back now and the Tele has pages of it , the SMH about a page and even the Australian a page.

It's the biggest lovefest I have ever seen .

Just thinking about it this is why I love NRL as much as i do (putting aside the issues with the way the game is run etc)

I mean I love football...the real one...but at the start of the year you can pretty much know which of the two or three teams are going to win in each country
EPL = Chelski or Man City
Spain = Madrid or Braca
Italy = Juve
Germany = Bayern
etc

I struggle to see another code where the potential winning pool is so varied - it just makes every season interesting

lsz said:
Just thinking about it this is why I love NRL as much as i do (putting aside the issues with the way the game is run etc)

I mean I love football...the real one...but at the start of the year you can pretty much know which of the two or three teams are going to win in each country
Spain = Madrid or Braca
Italy = Juve
Germany = Bayern
etc

I struggle to see another code where the potential winning pool is so varied - it just makes every season interesting

That might change if Packer's billions come into the equation. Can you imagine how many third party deals he'd have at his fingertips. Souths would be able to recruit above and beyond any other club, Broncos included.

Exactly what I was thinking Kevin.

Packer does some dodgy deal in China, part of the contract is that they provide 20 Million a year for 3 years in 3rd party sponsorship.

Bunnies buy the games top 25 players who can earn 4 times the salary of any other club.

Packer creates hugely profitable business.

AND

Bingo, Dynasty created!!

I do not see it happening.

It has not helped the Broncs with all of their deals over the years.

Also the reason why the NRL is so popular (and people such as packer are potentially interested) is the level playing field. Kill that and you kill the potential cash cow

gyngell and packer have a yearly punch up in the car park.

winner gets the premiership handed to their team.

Isn't there some limit to amount of third party money that can be sourced due to one city clubs like the Donkeys having an advantage in this area ?

Or is that so blatantly obvious that Greenturd and his cohort didn't even twig to it ?

At any rate, I don't see a dynasty starting. They've lost the best of the Bargarses and Te'o. Tim Grant is not even close to being in the same league and Gift is a different player altogether.

Their biggest problem will be their younger brigade being selected for representative honours. As soon as that happens, they can't pay them 60K a season anymore. Some of the widdle bunnies are bound to scurry from the hutch.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Exactly what I was thinking Kevin.

Packer does some dodgy deal in China, part of the contract is that they provide 20 Million a year for 3 years in 3rd party sponsorship.

Bunnies buy the games top 25 players who can earn 4 times the salary of any other club.

Packer creates hugely profitable business.

AND

Bingo, Dynasty created!!

TPA's still have to stand up to NRL salary cap scrutiny. And we all know what a good job they do of policing that, it's not like any clubs have ever knowingly breached the salary cap ;)

It's a pity James didn't share his old man's passion for Manly. What his involvement means is that they can bankroll all the support staff and back room resources they need to service the playing group to the optimum performance level.That isn't capped by the NRL.

Hard to see the top 4 for the next few years being anyone outside the NRL favourites - dogs, roosters, rabbids and boncos now that bennett is back.

All 4 have a large supply of brown paper bags

If they do this it will be the death-knell for NRL.

They'll have 8 - 12 teams with these top four and the others also rans to make the numbers.

People are leaving it in droves and watching park footy live and not even watching the NRL on TV anymore IMHO.

Souths 43 year drought coincides with my years of support as a Manly fan. As a 6 year old, I have no recollection of souths last winning in 1971. By the middle of 72, I was a sea eagles tragic, urging my new beloved to their first ever grand final victory.

If history repeats, we can look forward to winning 4 titles over the next 7 years. The 70s was a magical decade for us.

All we need is a billionaire benefactor who knows how to discretely hand over brown paper bags to the best talent in the game.

Dunno about this:

Dogs - worst thing that happened to them was their halves playing and winning for NSW. They aren't actually that good but will have to get rep bonuses. They're a bottom of the 8 club.

Roosters - replaced SBW with no one. Again, cheap players will have to be upgraded so they may come off a bit. 4th would seem about right without Sonny the cleanskin leading the pack.

Rabbids - SB and Teo is a lot of toughness leaving the club. Add to that the players on small coin sticking their hands out (Reynolds manager is already doing it haha). They have a couple of bench forwards off contract too. Will be interesting to see how their replacements shake out beyond Gift and Grant.

Broncos - haha they're done. Bennett is starting to go like Chris Anderson at the back end of his career. Trading off his name and former glory...

Phew! from the title, I thought you were implicating that De$ may consider coming back as he's now being reviled by dog fans. Almost lost my lunch.

If we had unlimited funds I would sign every promising talent on a ten year minimum wage contract with the promise of third party payments to match any offer, this way the players are only being paid their contract value and the NRL could not do anything about it and while if they were to sign a new contract they might be worth a million they must honor their contract for the sake of salarycap the third party payments would basically be the entire contract in dollar terms.

lsz said:

Spain = Madrid or Braca
Italy = Juve
Germany = Bayern
etc

There isn't a lot of major codes in Australia or worldwide that can point out different Premiership clubs over a five year period, like we've just had.

The fact that 10 seperate NRL clubs have hoisted the trophy in the last 14 seasons, is as good a reason as any to think your team is in with a genuine shot, at the beginning of most seasons.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4