AFL leadership is so far in front of the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
The AFL leadership is so far in front of the NRL it is not funny.

They seem to make more money from the TV rights and greater memberships and greater crowds.
But their pre-season comp this year is briliant, the round robin event where 3 teams play each other on the same nite.

The NRL is being run so poorly compared to them it is truely a shame. Go Gallop Go.

The are so good over at the AFL they can even produce a draw, complete with dates and venues for a whole season.

They must genii.

Their game isn't a heavy contact sport like ours so it's less dangerous for players which makes it easier for them to have fancy pre season comps.

Pablo link said:
Their game isn't a heavy contact sport like ours so it's less dangerous for players which makes it easier for them to have fancy pre season comps.

What a load of rubbish. They also have to jump vertically 100 times more than league players increasing the risk of knee damage and they have a 360 degree angle at which contact can be made (not 180 degrees like league and union).

The AFL is run by professionals, the NRL is run by monkeys.

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Pablo link=topic=186534.msg317484#msg317484 date=1298503299]

What a load of rubbish. They also have to jump vertically 100 times more than league players increasing the risk of knee damage and they have a 360 degree angle at which contact can be made (not 180 degrees like league and union).

The AFL is run by professionals, the NRL is run by monkeys.
[/quote]

I agree with Clon.  As he knows I played 17 AFL games for Carlton before I received a career ending knee injury. 

clontaago link said:
I thought it was your elbow mate?

Missed a few weeks with that but was able to play through the pain.  The knee buggered me though. 

Seeing as he is out of the game now I suppose I can pass on a few Fevola stories that never made the press at the time.  Remind me to tell you about them.  Explosive stuff. 

Yeah I remember the knee now. That was when you took that mark and were runner up in the mark of the year comp?

No idea what you mean Fro??

the reason why they are so far ahead is because over 20,000 ppl go to a game every weekend . it dont matter whether the team is coming last their supporters will be there in the 10`s of thousands to support them..  i very rarely see the grandstands at the AFL empty during a game doesnt matter whos playing..

clontaago link said:
Yeah I remember the knee now. That was when you took that mark and were runner up in the mark of the year comp?

No idea what you mean Fro??
Yeah I wish I had never taken that speccie.  Fev called me "number 2" for ages after I was named runner up. 

jjai link said:
the reason why they are so far ahead is because over 20,000 ppl go to a game every weekend . it dont matter whether the team is coming last their supporters will be there in the 10`s of thousands to support them..  i very rarely see the grandstands at the AFL empty during a game doesnt matter whos playing..

The I guess you haven't seen a Sydney Swans game or a Fremantle game. Victoria is one thing, leave Victoria and SA and you get a whole different situation. The NSW/QLD/Fremantle teams only get great crowds when the teams do well. If they are struggling then you don't get the crowds at all.

West Coast are the exception but that's because they take all of Fremantle's fans and are the success of WA

Just wait to se how the Lions go up here this year!

Where the AFL is streets ahead of the NRL is in membership.

Membership has been 'the thing' for Melburnians since Adam was a pup...I am married to a a Collingwood supporter, they are like ants to a honeypot as far as membership is concerned EVERYONE is a member and it's just not kosher for you to watch the game on TV, so you go to every game.

That's just the way it's been for yonks down there, the AFL Culture is all about attending games, especially on a Saturday afternoon...really this "membership thing" only started with the NRL in the last 5 or 6 years, prior to that they were just season ticket holders so the NRL have a long way to go to catch up.

I would agree with the topic, those that front the AFL are a ways ahead of the NRL but I think that is changing rapidly.

We are seeing record memberships this year across almost all clubs and the season looks to be a ripper with almost any of the top 14 from last year in with a big shot...the same can't be said for the AFL.

A LOT hinges on the new TV deal, if the Galloping Goose and his merry men can do a good job of that then I only see bright times ahead for the NRL.

And put it this way, I'd rather be in the NRL camp than the Rugby camp!!

AFL has better leaders and administrators than NRL!?

shocked-face.jpg

When did that happen!?

clontaago link said:

they have a 360 degree angle at which contact can be made (not 180 degrees like union).

[/quote]  You've never been at the bottom of a ruck, have you Doug?

You would think that attendance at the game is influenced (partially) by the difference in watching on TV

I can not think of many games that are as good for TV as league. Apart from the 5th tackle kick you have a sense of the play at all times unlike AFL football etc where you need to see the whole park

All that said the only way a preseason cup makes sense is if it was to bring in extra$

There has been talk of splitting the new rights deal i.e. State of O to be in a separate package. Under this scenario a preseason cup would make sense

Matabele link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=186534.msg317491#msg317491 date=1298504056]

they have a 360 degree angle at which contact can be made (not 180 degrees like union).

[/quote]  You've never been at the bottom of a ruck, have you Doug?
[/quote]

Ask Matt and Pete for that answer. Still doesnt compare to 2 bodies colliding at speed without time to brace for impact.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6