AFL TV rights deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
I guess this rules channel 7 out of the running for the NRL unless they decide on a dedicated sports channel?

THE AFL has confirmed a $1.253 billion TV rights deal for the next five years, which will see all AFL games shown live.
Watch the announcement live at Fox Sports.

Channel 7 and pay-TV giant Foxtel have secured the AFL's broadcast contracts, with the online rights going to Telstra.

The free-to-air network will have a minimum of four games per round, while Foxtel will show all nine games live, every week.

Friday night football, as well as Saturday night and Sunday afternoon footy will all be shown live on free-to-air.

Only the Saturday afternoon game will be subject to delayed coverage on free-to-air.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/afl-announces-1bn-tv-rights-deal/story-e6frfm1i-1226046325694#ixzz1KnddZvbQ

Yep was gonna post this earlier Flip but forgot.

ALL games to be shown live on Foxtel. Here's hoping the NRL can negotiate something similar.

Damb this means the NRL will be on either 9 or 10 which both suck.... I hope we get all games live on foxtel like the AFL though.

torana355 said:
Damb this means the NRL will be on either 9 or 10 which both suck.... I hope we get all games live on foxtel like the AFL though.

Does that mean you think Ch7 do a good job? Personally, in terms of pre-game & post-game stuff, I think Ch9 poops all over the other FTA channels in just about all sports they cover.

Let them have AFL I don't want 7 anywhere near NRL. They can't cover sport to save their lives. Their directors are terrible, graphics tacky and worst of all terrible commentators. My prime example Tennis. Their coverage was virtually unwatchable most matches, off angles, annoying commentators and very little added outside of actual games.

I'm expecting a split dreal between 9 and 10 with the left overs going to foxtel. One of the two free to airs will buy Monday night football cause it rates so well, don't expect Monday Night Football to go away any time soon.

Captain of the Gate said:
Let them have AFL I don't want 7 anywhere near NRL. They can't cover sport to save their lives. Their directors are terrible, graphics tacky and worst of all terrible commentators. My prime example Tennis. Their coverage was virtually unwatchable most matches, off angles, annoying commentators and very little added outside of actual games.

That's a bit harsh, I'm sure everyone on here would love to have Bruce McAvaney as lead NRL commentator :p :p

Brookie4eva said:

That's a bit harsh, I'm sure everyone on here would love to have Bruce McAvaney as lead NRL commentator :p :p

It would be a 'special' experience. Especially with the 'special' plays that Benji puts on, the 'special' victories that rugby league often produces :lol:

Realisticlly, channel 9 don't do a bad job. It's just all of their commentators are ****wits!

eagles2win said:
Brookie4eva said:

It would be a 'special' experience. Especially with the 'special' plays that Benji puts on, the 'special' victories that rugby league often produces :lol:

"What a great team, I could go on and on....and I will. Mitchell Aubersson what a great name...etc etc"

Well in an interesting twist Channel 7 are paying less for this deal than they did the last deal. How is that possible you ask?
Foxtel has picked up more of teh tab now that they are able to cover all games live but that isn't the crux. A big chunk of the rights deal is being paid by Telstra, the very people who own our premiership sponsor rights. Telstra have bought the rights to show all games live on T-Box and vis Bigpond, allowing people to watch all games (bar the grand final) live anywhere they want. That is a huge aquisition for an online medium.
Too bad NRL virtually gave away all online coverage to bigpond for virutally nothing a few years ago.

Sure is and makes me glad I have a TBOX

If Gallop can't come up with every game live, and $1.25bn+ it should be the death knell for him. Rugby League is a vastly superior TV product.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6