All things toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
club legend that appears to be on the nose somewhere . Where there is smoke there is fire. Something isnt right in manly town.

Toovey the legend
As a manly legend it would be un manly to sack him. Much is talked about the manly culture but to feast on one of our own so publicly is not understanding the manly culture at all. It would be a sad day if this were to happen. If toovey is to be replaced as head coach he must be moved into the administive side of the business to see out his contract. To have a role in manly business befitting the man. He has some skills so this shouldnt be a stretch. A unified manly approach to front up and declare tooves role has changed but he is a manly man and integral to our business.

Toovey the coach
There have been stories almost from day dot that tooves wasnt tough enough with the players etc. my take on this is that players these days like it spelt out for them. There roles need to be clearly defined down to the last metre expected of them so they know where they stand. Tooves is a bit more old style. Seems to trust the players a bit more to know and understand there jobs. I presume this is because he is also a pro off the field and footy isnt the only thing the tooves has had in his life. Away from footy people dont like to be micro managed. Also tooves has a different style. I get the impression tooves coaches RUgby League and not NRL and there is a massive difference between the two.

Tooves
We all know tooves inherited a great team, with cap issues, board issues, and a management team that was clearly split. Tooves wanted whats best for his team. I would never doubt that, and while he seemed to be as diplomatic as possible I'm sure at times he had to align himself to get what he needed to do his job. Tooves is manly , it doesnt matter who the ceo is , or the board or the owner, tooves only wants what best for manly. Maybe there are coaches that can deliver better results, but if toovey is sacrificed for the off field war, it will be a sad day in manlys history. Possibly the saddest.

I really hope the club conducts itself with class. every club, journo or news team has tried to dent our pride in manly and failed. It would be tragic if the club did the job for them

IF we have a putrid season & are down near the bottom of the ladder by season end & the playing group as a collective are clearly unhappy then & only then could I understand Tooves coaching tenure being cut short. The current smear campaign against our club great is disgusting. I want to hear a Toovey chant on Saturday night!

Tooves is a club legend, no doubt. But something is not right at the moment. It started last year and sadly it looks as though it might have continued to fester. I hope he can turn it around in the coming weeks. It would be a sad day indeed if he was sacked/replaced. In his favor is the fact there are no logical replacements on the market.

In his favor is the fact there are no logical replacements on the market.
Not true...I hear Brad Arthur's baby sitter is available and taught him everything he knows....bypass the Grasshopper and go straight to the Master I say!

Last edited:
IF we have a putrid season & are down near the bottom of the ladder by season end & the playing group as a collective are clearly unhappy then & only then could I understand Tooves coaching tenure being cut short. The current smear campaign against our club great is disgusting. I want to hear a Toovey chant on Saturday night!
I'm sure if this scenario arises and Toovey's position is untenable, he will resign before he is pushed, as Bozo did in 1999, God I almost forgot about the Peter Sharp years.

I recall that the senior players response after 2012 was that he had to be more assertive with the group. Seems he took their advice and made the changes he saw fit; it was just unfortunate for some of those senior players that it meant we could no longer keep them on.

There is no doubt elements in the group unhappy with Tooves. Fair enough. But unlike other clubs that sees their players agitate for a coach change (and generally get it, often for no on-field benefit) Manly are prone to sticking with the coach. Clearly the likes of Choc hated the loss of this influence through the coach and others will want to go elsewhere as they don't feel the love they may think they're worth from Tooves.

But we've seen the real clubmen appear in the last 12 months. Ballin, Lyon, Buhrer and Matai have all re-signed or looking to. They and others constantly talk up the club culture when pressed and there is more than a few that are onside with the direction Tooves is going. If there is anything toxic, it is extremely limited in its scope and once the players involved make their decisions to leave, will quickly see the group refocused.

I think the hierachy have seen this and any move on Tooves will spell disaster. Instead, the likes of Choc, DCE and Foran will move on and players invested in the current plan will be recruited.

Tooves should then be rightly judged on that and not the hissy fits of supposed professional players.

I'd like our CEO to come out, very much like Matt Ballin, and extend Toovey for another 12-24 months despite what the press are saying (and I'm not even a Toovey fan).

Extend Toovey, call out the media who BS's about that. Extend Ballin, call out the media who BS's about that.

Make them accountable, or make them rat out their sources?

I'd like our CEO to come out, very much like Matt Ballin, and extend Toovey for another 12-24 months despite what the press are saying (and I'm not even a Toovey fan).

Extend Toovey, call out the media who BS's about that. Extend Ballin, call out the media who BS's about that.

Make them accountable, or make them rat out their sources?

Why would they extend his contract if they are looking 2 move him on. He already has a contract for 2016. Toovey I'm talking about I agree with Ballin and can't see why they haven't signed him yet.

Why would they extend his contract if they are looking 2 move him on. He already has a contract for 2016.

As a statement of support. To show the NRL, the opposition, the fans, the members we are in a process of settling. That we are building, and that there is a long term plan.

As a statement of support. To show the NRL, the opposition, the fans, the members we are in a process of settling. That we are building, and that there is a long term plan.

The owners are not going 2 throw money down the drain for a media show he is already contracted. If a 2016 contract isn't enough 2 stop this than a 4 year 1 won't. What will stop it is some better performances and people from with in stop leaking stories.

The owners are not going 2 throw money down the drain for a media show he is already contracted. If a 2016 contract isn't enough 2 stop this than a 4 year 1 won't. What will stop it is some better performances and people from with in stop leaking stories.

Get what your saying mate. And I agree, a good run of consistent wins, and a lot of this mess will go away. BUT, with all the injuries, DCE / Foran saga happening, I don't think form is going to change anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, we'll come close, but there is too much talent on the sidelines (or have their minds on other things).

The club just needs more settling activity like Matai re-signing. That was fantastic.

I also think our CEO is playing off the back-foot far, FAR too much. He needs to be much more proactive here.

Get what your saying mate. And I agree, a good run of consistent wins, and a lot of this mess will go away. BUT, with all the injuries, DCE / Foran saga happening, I don't think form is going to change anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, we'll come close, but there is too much talent on the sidelines (or have their minds on other things).

The club just needs more settling activity like Matai re-signing. That was fantastic.

I also think our CEO is playing off the back-foot far, FAR too much. He needs to be much more proactive here.

What I would like is Ballin re signed he wants 2 stay we want him 2 stay so why the hold up? that contract should be relatively simple.

I respect Tooves paramount.

However, I think he has lost a majority in the dressing room.

Can he get it back....dunno.

If @lovefooty is correct the current undermining is being done by Zorba the Greek, his journo mates are sticking the boot in whenever they can.

Maybe get rid of Zorba instead and the problems could go away!!

If only we could Mark if only we could

You know it's the one thing in the " new" structure that's flawed.

The Penns have put a broom through the support staff and added lots of new people, I don't have any dramas with that.

But there's one major step they could do that would do more healing than anything.

Step Zorba aside from all board duties and responsibilities.

Bring him in for game day to take care of sponsors if they like, don't cut him off just cut his credibility !!

You know it's the one thing in the " new" structure that's flawed.

The Penns have put a broom through the support staff and added lots of new people, I don't have any dramas with that.

But there's one major step they could do that would do more healing than anything.

Step Zorba aside from all board duties and responsibilities.

Bring him in for game day to take care of sponsors if they like, don't cut him off just cut his credibility !!

He just can't do it he just loves getting involved his life must be so boring. I get it he loves the club (so he tells us) but he is just a disruptive influence around the club. But that's enough from me about Zorba.

He just can't do it he just loves getting involved his life must be so boring. I get it he loves the club (so he tells us) but he is just a disruptive influence around the club. But that's enough from me about Zorba.
I get that too, BUT they have a modern CEO, young Coach, have employed some of the best young guys in the business as support staff AND they have a Dinosaur from the 70's a key figure.

As I said it's their one flaw!!

If Foran departs - 2V will be the accountable one, and gone in 2015.
If Foran stays - 2V will stay till 2016, then be turfed (unless we win a GF)

Des would return in either 2016 or 2017.
2V is just kicking the tyres now waiting on the tap.

No locker room, no boardroom, no chance.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6