An area of concern

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
1 thing that is a slight concern at the moment is a lack of strong go forward close to our line. It wasn't as bad as Lewis was making out, but it is going to be an area we are targeted by other sides, and if the cretins in pink are going to let the other side be a mile off side all day, we are going to have to come up with a counter to that. Matai will certainly help that area and Taufua was really strong today in that regard as well so that will help us along

Was noticeable today that the Titans were 2m offside on a lot of the wide shots and Horsehead was just letting it go. In fairness to the Titans though they were probably just getting back to his nose which buys them an extra metre or so

Kiwi Eagle said:
1 thing that is a slight concern at the moment is a lack of strong go forward close to our line. It wasn't as bad as Lewis was making out, but it is going to be an area we are targeted by other sides, and if the cretins in pink are going to let the other side be a mile off side all day, we are going to have to come up with a counter to that. Matai will certainly help that area and Taufua was really strong today in that regard as well so that will help us along

Was noticeable today that the Titans were 2m offside on a lot of the wide shots and Horsehead was just letting it go. In fairness to the Titans though they were probably just getting back to his nose which buys them an extra metre or so

Horsehead let the Dogs do that in the Manly loss at ANZ. Fortunately the odds are Horsehead won't get a Top 4 semi in week 1 or be seen after that at all. Manly seems to have the same issue when Cummins is running the game though which is a worry.

I can't see a solution that close to the line other than the backs just needing to roll their sleeves up and run straight from dummy albeit with a low centre of gravity close to the ground. Ie don't get picked up and carried back over the line.

The concerning part is that there is not that many players putting their hand up to take those one or two really tough runs.

I noticed on the Titans line drop outs that Bird and his mates on the left crossed the line into the field of play before the ball was even kicked too. :mad:

He also allowed Souffs to be offside last week.

I thought the rule was that the defence isn't allowed to move up until the ball has cleared the ruck? Last week and today Horsehead allowed our opposition to move up a lot of the time before the ball had even been played.

A bigger concern is whether the playing group gets over this flu before it costs us the minor premiership.

I'm happy enough with the way we are going against all these odds and prob be a bit better off as we did enough to win and will step up next week

Will need to be. Parra could be anything on their day and will be out to get us back for the Brookie robbery!

Kiwi Eagle said:

Agreed Kiwi, Manly will need to improve on their 1st and 2nd tackle runs. They got dominated and hardly made any meters when deep on their side of half way. The Titans made many more meters on their 1st and 2nd tackles. DCE and Foz also need to kick smarter and not kick directly to the fullback and wingers (or kick on the 2nd tackle!!). The Titans kickers were much better at this and were able to kick away from Manly's back three and this made it easier to pin Manly down and not give them easy meters.

6/71 said:
A bigger concern is whether the playing group gets over this flu before it costs us the minor premiership.

Yes you could see a few of the boys in trouble at times, Fozzie in particular!!

This is definitely a problem. The refs appear to be allowing some teams to encroach on the ten metres particularly when pinning a side inside its quarter. Souths were massively offside last week doing it - but hey, its Souths and who's gonna derail the bandwagon by calling them out on anything. It would be against the spirit of the hype.

The thing to remember I suppose is that our forwards dominated the Roosters in last years GF - the two absences from that side being kite and Stewart. Big absences. We just need a couple of the current pack to really stand up in the games ahead. .

I'd like to see us go two off the ruck sometimes and maybe even a wrap around play. A wide pass fro dummy half and an inside ball would be good too but might be a little risky when under the pump coming off the try line.

We could also put more effort in getting to the ball on the fly so it doesn't dribble all the way to the try line. It hit the dirt too many times in the Titans game for my liking.

I just saw in the Titans game a team who wanted to do enough to win and nothing more. They played to the level of the Titans. There was no quick play the balls or high speed defensive line we basically waited for them to throw something at us and defend their attack rather than attack with our defense. Now it's either us in a form slump possibly due to flu etc or we are conserving. I feel it's the later.

We made a lot of meters both running back in behind the ruck and at mortemier and seezer. Didn't really need to get too adventurous.

Yeah a significant area of concern is the endless reliance on referees' with vastly different opinions, and interpretations of HOW far 10metres actually is...Especially for the Home team (of which we face 2 of our last 3 games).

And whilst it was great to see BJ burst through and sprinting down-field once again, I was bummed he didn't try a side-step on Zillman...Or even better, a chip-over-the-top!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6