An observation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Pre-match almost every poster argued that "holding on to the ball" was the secret to success.
Well, if we did something right against Souffs it was holding the ball. The handling was exceptionally good . . and yet we were 40 points behind within 60 minutes.
The problem I see is that we were far too conservative with the ball. We haven't the forwards to get into that oft-used 'arm-wrestle' against big packs like Souffs, Easts and the Dogs.
No. If we are any chance to progress we need to attack at every opportunity and try to outscore our way to victory, rather than defend.
For example: Why did Jamie use the same kick-off every time in the first half? Too conservative; too predictable. Why not try some trick shots? Kick over the top from a scrum win; get the ball out to the bachs on early tackles rather than having forwards being smashed.
The Dogs will kill us if we try to hold them in the forwards. They are too big and strong. Let's face it. Our only chance is for our brilliant backs to be given a green light to play expansive football.
We,, that's my opinion, anyway.

We have no mongrel in the forwards and our defence is ordinary.

Every team's tactics against us now involves kicking high balls to Tafua's wing and unless he is replaced by Blair we will be at least two tries down before we start next week.

Some random thoughts on our best chance.

We can only compete if the Dogs dont turn up, like the second half vs Titans, and they dont always perform, just like us they were in a rut prior to the Storm match.

I hope we win the toss and elect to kick off, I am in such a poor state of mind I dont want their early energy coming at us in defence, it will set the tone for the match.

I think we must SCORE FIRST.

We must kick before the 5th tackle, probably the 4th is the best option for first few sets. Leaving it until the 5th tackle puts too much pressure on our dummy half (whoever that may be) and the kicker. Ennis and Reynolds like to smash the kicker, unlike us who just grab them after the kick has cleared.

Ensure DCE and FOZ are not caught with the ball on the tackle prior to kicking and have both in position to kick.

The MRC and judiciary will have a major effect on our chances too, I expect to lose Choc, but you never know.

Good thread mate..agree that often quality is more important than quantity...I found the lack of urgency was the major problem here.
Souths battled at every contact to win both the quick play the ball in attack & in defence, controlled the speed of our play the ball....
As much as ppl say DCE & Foran were inneffective, it comes back to this ruck area & thats pretty much where they destroyed us.....

The Who said:
Pre-match almost every poster argued that "holding on to the ball" was the secret to success.
Well, if we did something right against Souffs it was holding the ball. The handling was exceptionally good . . and yet we were 40 points behind within 60 minutes.
The problem I see is that we were far too conservative with the ball. We haven't the forwards to get into that oft-used 'arm-wrestle' against big packs like Souffs, Easts and the Dogs.
No. If we are any chance to progress we need to attack at every opportunity and try to outscore our way to victory, rather than defend.
For example: Why did Jamie use the same kick-off every time in the first half? Too conservative; too predictable. Why not try some trick shots? Kick over the top from a scrum win; get the ball out to the bachs on early tackles rather than having forwards being smashed.
The Dogs will kill us if we try to hold them in the forwards. They are too big and strong. Let's face it. Our only chance is for our brilliant backs to be given a green light to play expansive football.

I thought the same thing. I kept waiting for Foran or Cherry to chip for Snake from out own 40, like they've done a few times this year. Early on we threw it wide early on our own 20 and made about 40m, but that was it. Seemingly being unwilling to try these things was the biggest worry for me.

The keyboard coaces just moveo on, the who.

Against the cows we missed 17 tackles, still lost.

Maybe tihis week it can be the giving away penaltie thing again

The Who said:

Need some form of go forward before you can attack out wide. This worked for a while against Souths, but they began to dominate the ruck and stop our go forward, which really eliminates our attacking options.

We cant out muscle the dogs - that's a given, and it sucks we are down arguably our 3 best forward defenders, so what I think we need to do better is get over the advantage line faster! Look at the way the dogs forwards play, and Souths, and Cowgirls - they receive the ball from the dummy half a lot closer to the defensive line and at PACE and they run 3 forwards at a time! I watched the game again - and it wasn't as bad the second time watching as i thought and picked up these main areas we could improve on which I think would make a huge difference.

1. Lawrence, Choc, etc aren't huge players, but what they do do well is hit the ball up with speed and look for a quick play the ball. No point receiving the ball one or two passes wide, then running the ball side ways - we are getting smashed. Receive the ball off the hookers hip running onto it, get over the yardage line and look for a quick play the ball. Run 2 or 3 forwards at a time, not one out running - so predictable. The other top teams are doing this really well. Also, go for a few more runs out of dummy half like Isac Luke does so well.

2. Wingers defense was awful. Tafua is slow and horrible under the high ball, and Hiku looked in no mans land. We defuse a couple of those bombs early against Souths and we are not down 12-0 or 18-0 down. Not sure if Tooves will replace them with less experienced players at this stage but is worth a gamble in my opinion.

3. Stay with the dogs until half time. It has to be close at half time. Souths, Dogs, Cowboys all tired in second half, but had built up too bigger leads to chase down. The 20 mins before and after half time have really let Manly down over the last few weeks, especially defensively. Kicking early, turning there big forwards around, no giving away stupid penalties, keeping up the intensity in defense is vital. It its close with 20 to go, I will like out chances of coming over the top.

4. Can any of our forwards off-load?? I know the talk of the week was ball control, but we need some second phase play to get the dogs forwards working harder and with a few off loads (in the right part of the field) gives our backs a chance to do some razzle dazzle.

5. DCE Run to the line. I think the bloke is injured. Have not seem him dummy and go himself and take the line on. Usually has a good fend and step and down of confidence. Hopefully this can change cause if he is on - he is one player who can turn the game on its head - look back to the first time we played the dogs, were getting smashed and he practically turned that first half around by himself and won the game for us.

Here's an observation. How the hell did we let arguably the best center in the game at the moment go in Dean Whare. He should have been kept at all costs including letting Matai go.

mickqld said:
Here's an observation. How the hell did we let arguably the best center in the game at the moment go in Dean Whare. He should have been kept at all costs including letting Matai go.

All costs apart from letting the captain go I presume.

The obvious is that in our last 3 games we have been steamrolled in the first 60 min and then scored big points in the last 20min. Our forwards MUST hold on. We stay in touch with 20 to go we are in.o

I have been going over highlights of this season

How can we be so indifferent this season ?

Where has the manly team gone who beat the roosters this year at Brookvale oval.

You know apart from not having Matt Ballin and Jamie B we could have the exact same team run out on Saturday night. We have the cattle but do we have the attitude me think not

This will be a slaughter and this season can finally be over. You know deep down we all know this team on its day with no injuries to key personnel beats every team in this comp.

We have quite literally thrown the title away this year with childish behaviours from certain factions within this club and the sooner they gone the better

I posted prior to the game that I thought Manly would play tighter and a little more conservative, not saying at the time I agreed with that option but they wanted to give themselves a decent start with even ball possession and sets.

You can still play tighter and with variety, but it has to be sharp and with players always pushing up, we were exhausted after 8-10mins dealing with their pack draining us in their strong straight go forward.

Yes they played too conservatively off the fear of dropping too much ball and lack of confidence---probably wanted to play more laterally after a little heat had been taken out of the game.

I feared Manly being overly conservative to combat ball security as all it does is allow more gang tackles, slowing the play the ball with low yardage gains.

You need to strike the right balance---there are gaps if you play straight and direct behind the ruck against Souths but you can't be too sucked into that game plan and stop doing what Manly do well when confident and that is play laterally to create go forward through our backs.

Hopefully some confidence was regained in the last 20mins and they can get the balance right this weekend.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4