Andrew Johns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
No,this is not about wolfies night out.Couldnt care less about that.

Andrew Johns needs to be judged in regards to the job he is employed to do i.e improve our attack and our halves while he is at it.

Our attack is getting worse by the week and little changes.Our dummy half gives us nothing and our attack goes sideways,particularly in the opposition red zone.Our kicking game close to the line is average at best.

2 points to note.

First

This is his area of expertise and we are not improving.While we have other issues he must wear some of the blame and be under pressure to keep his position.He wouldn't come cheap and my gut feel is get rid of him unless we improve sharply at the pointy end of the season.

Second

Although I have no real interest in Joeys nocturnal capers(he and the players deserve a social life) it does have some importance in the sense that I wonder how seriously he takes his job and the players take his advice. Having seen him in action a few times off the field,having heard even more about his juvenile carrying on and observing his child like demeanour in general I seriously doubt he has any real communication skills which is the essence of his job.Most great coaches were not great players.Wally Lewis is a great example -genius of a player but couldn't coax a fly into a bucket of ****.

The night out is just background noise.Tooves needs to look hard at his input into our rugby league team,not the players social life.Brad Arthur is a great example-you can see his input every week.With Johns I see nothing at all.

I think that what the Players are learning from Joey is technique.

The strategy to apply these would be developed by 2V and Brad Arthur.

If you compare the first 7 Rounds to the last 7 - Manly have zero depth in attack. The ball carrier is now smothered by his own Players. It's easy to fix, just stand deep and run onto the ball again :exclamation:

In defence, the forwards have stopped sliding across to the sides. Our smaller guys are now having to cover a multitude of opposing Players, instead of just their counterpart.

There was no half or forward sliding to help Jorge or Wolfie on Monday.
They both had two/three to tackle, and ultimately tackled the man who had just flicked the ball :(

Manly have the skills to adjust, they just have to relax and play like it's fun :idea:

Both very thoughtful posts.
I vote to punt Johns and engage Happily Manly and Susan as our new attaching coaches.

I actually thought our attack had changed a fair bit at the start of the season. Our centres were getting very early ball, especially Matai and they were playing well. Our halves weren't being dominant but they were being selective. A few things have happened since then and whilst not blaming one thing more than the other, Snake got injured, Gift came back, we've lost a lot of go forward impact off the bench and we also had a reasonably tough run of opponents. I think they have all contributed.

If Joey is any good though, I would like to see him turn DCE's form around and have him take the line on more instead of this cross field running which is becoming more and more prevalant as the weeks go on. IMO his uniqueness as a no 7 which is what makes him so good, no halfback took the line on like he used to. In particular his ability to fend and offload really was a point of difference in our attack and allowed us to ask questions of the defence that no other team was doing. Obviously it's not all down to him and he it would help greatly if our forwards returned to their aggressive best, but I still think tweaking DCE's game would see us become a lot more dangerous.

cava2323 said:
No go forward, no room for the backs.

We lose 3 props to injury / suspension.

Coincidence ?

This is the reason our attack is flat, not Andrew Johns coaching ability.

I think that Johns will be here as long as Foran And DCE want them to be, Afterall they are the reason he is here to start with.

cava2323 said:

Coincidence ?

FFS this ^^^^

I was considering starting a new thread about this. Our roster is seriously depleted in the go-forward ranks. Between suspension and serious, season ending injury we find ourselves in this position. There is sweet FA we can do about this.

I laugh when I hear the desperate calls to purchase some pigs before the June 30 deadline. What with? Some on here think we have room to move in the cap for this purpose. Some on here are clearly delusional.

If Jason King didn't get injured, and

If Smokin' Joe didn't get injured, and

If Fa'aoso didn't cop a million week suspension, then

Maybe things would be different? Maybe our backline/attack would have more room to move with the added "go-forward". Maybe Johnsy would be a genius. Maybe our coach would all of a sudden be "better".

Any coach will tell you that it is nigh on impossible to win a premiership, let alone contend for one, without a healthy and available roster.

The sooner that people accept our plight for what it is, the better it will be for everyone.

MPC75 said:
cava2323 said:

Coincidence ?

This is the reason our attack is flat, not Andrew Johns coaching ability.

Yep ,We need atleast 2 plays ,one after the other, of running hard ,straight up the guts ,per set.
Once we start doing this again ,our attack options will fall back into place.

Don't teams adjust to circumstances. It seemed we adjusted to Glenn not being out there, and went very well early in the season. Sure missing those three giants of our pack is a problem, but problems can be overcome. I well remember the Tigers winning a comp in 2005 with a very small pack of forwards. We don't attack with any depth, we run across field, and our back three seem to stutter about taking the ball standing still. All coaching problems that would appear fixable. It just needs to happen.

Don't buy the loss of the pigs as the main reason our attack is struggling. We have been struggling all last season and this season in attack against good sides close to the line.Our problem has been that we rarely convert red zone opportunities due to no variety and crabbing.Those forward losses haven't helped us but they are not the reason.Getting to the red zone requires go forward,after that it requires nouse.

If someone can tell me how lack of go forward has anything to do with lack of creativity 10 metres out then that will do me. When you get 6 or seven repeat sets on an opponents line like Monday night you don't need go forward, you need ideas!We have generally had an abundance of opportunities in almost every game close to the line,Souths being a classic example.The go forward stuff is a cop out when analyzing red zone attack.Sure we would be going better overall with more go forward but that disguises the real issue of not taking opportunities.

Couldn't agree more Susan, read my post. Very frustrating. We went better in attack in the first five rounds, then fell away. Then, Lawrence and Horo supplied a straight run at the line, or provided dummy runs which led to tries. We don't seem to do this any more. Always the crabbing and sweeping movements that are easily covered, either by the opposing players or the sideline. Brett showed glimpses of his attacking prowess against the Rorters and this might provide the spark for an attacking revival.

I think Foran would have made a huge difference in the red zone on Monday night. Let's not underestimate the impact he would have made and how disrupting this would have been leading up to the match.

Also, our opposition wasn't bad either.

I am over the Johns love fest. We won a grand final with the current halves but have only progressed slightly imo with Johns at the club.

If there are positives they are being overshadowed by negative publicity. He may of been a great footballer but by his own admission he regularly took drugs though out his career, he's also regarded as a "party boy" and then the more joyous saga.

Why is someone who took drugs most of his career lauded as some sort of hero. Had it been a no-name player he would of been seen as a villain and banished, instead after a confession and few crocodile tears on national TV he is rewarded with a gig on CH9. The to top it off they make him an immortal.

What is he doing at the cross at 2 or 3 in the morning? Does he not have a family with kids?

Sorry for being a skeptic but I think guy is a bad influence on our players.

Good on you Susan and Swoop. I'm also sick of the excuses as all teams have injuries etc. As you said 10-20 metres out is what we are questioning. Foran and DCE have played most of the year.

Swoop, you asked a great question about Johns at 2am at his age and while KE said he ain't high ranking having direct access and working with the 1st grade team is influential. Being an immortal and known party boy with issues something the club should be worried about. Let him coach but he shouldn't be out with the players. Who else is he hitting the town with??

Hearing Foz banning himself off the grog and Choc's card nights are better choices in my opinion.

Don't forget Swoop, he walked from Newcastle to Sydney as some sort of penance. Now maybe he thinks he should be hanging on the Cross. Can never forgive the douch for his Newcastle days.

Darren said:
Good on you Susan and Swoop. I'm also sick of the excuses as all teams have injuries etc. As you said 10-20 metres out is what we are questioning. Foran and DCE have played most of the year.

Swoop, you asked a great question about Johns at 2am at his age and while KE said he ain't high ranking having direct access and working with the 1st grade team is influential. Being an immortal and known party boy with issues something the club should be worried about. Let him coach but he shouldn't be out with the players. Who else is he hitting the town with??

Hearing Foz banning himself off the grog and Choc's card nights are better choices in my opinion.

So you dont only have an age where guys lose all speed and footy ability, you also have an age when people should stop going out too Darren ? Hope you don't bring up your kids with a life ends at 25 philosophy ;)

Don't think we will ever get close to agreeing on this lol, coz I don't care what the team get up too in their personal time, they aren't prisoners locked into a certain time they have to be in bed etc, they are people free to do whatever they like and as long as they stay within the law I couldn't care less

On Johns coaching, well if so many clubs in the NRL are keen to use him then there must be something about him that is worthwhile. Foran is having his best season with the club, whether that is attributed to any Johns influence, only they know that

Kiwi, I think the club has every right to have a say in what the players get up to in their spare time. Don't forget these guys are paid enormous amounts to not only keep themselves fit, but are out there representing the club/sponsors .at all times. When you put your hand out for 600K or thereabouts, responsibility to adhere to a clubs ethos is important. And given the NRLs actions in standing down players who aren't guilty af anything before the law (think Snake), then to put yourself in a place where ****e happens all the time is irresponsible. And while I'm on the soapbox, Foran's bout of stomach illness. Does the club have a dietician who monitors what these professional athletes eat? what's the go there? I would take issue saying that this year is Foran's best.

DSM5 said:
Kiwi, I think the club has every right to have a say in what the players get up to in their spare time. Don't forget these guys are paid enormous amounts to not only keep themselves fit, but are out there representing the club/sponsors .at all times. When you put your hand out for 600K or thereabouts, responsibility to adhere to a clubs ethos is important. And given the NRLs actions in standing down players who aren't guilty af anything before the law (think Snake), then to put yourself in a place where ****e happens all the time is irresponsible. And while I'm on the soapbox, Foran's bout of stomach illness. Does the club have a dietician who monitors what these professional athletes eat? what's the go there? I would take issue saying that this year is Foran's best.

I'm sure the club has guidelines in place, and if any of those are broken, then they will be pulled into line. I take your point about being in Kings Cross etc maybe not being the smartest option at 2am, but I'm not sure banning someone from that area will change anything either tbh

As for Foran, consistently week in week out he hasn't played as well for us as this season, he is turning out a good game every week, which is probably also partly due to the extra experience

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2