Another dig at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mals

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Independent Commission four years in the making, but worth the wait

Columnist By David Lord, 10 Feb 2012 (taken from The Roar)

It would be a positive start for rugby league’s new Independent Commission if Melbourne and Manly removed their knives from David Gallop’s back.

Today is the day, ending nearly four years of bickering, and territorial in-fighting. The 13-man code has at last regained control of its own game for the first time since 1995.

And sitting in the CEO chair of the commission will be the 46-year-old Gallop, who completed a decade as CEO of the NRL last week.

There’s no argument Gallop is the best man for the job for at least the next four years. In nearly 50 years of dealing with sporting administrators around the world, I rate Gallop right up there among the best.

And it sure hasn’t been an armchair ride. Rugby league has had some awesome downturns, leaving Gallop to pick up the pieces.

Like Melbourne rorting the salary cap, and the aftermath to Manly’s infamous pre-season launch in 2009. Both clubs copped a rightful Gallop backlash. Neither club took its medicine with any grace.

Hopefully Melbourne and Manly can move on as the eight-strong commission moves into top gear for the first time today.

The inaugural chairman is 1972 World Cup and Queensland centre John Grant, an engineer by trade who headed the IT company Data#3.

The seven commissioners:
* Catherine Harris, founder and chairwoman of Harris Park Markets, and a Trustee of the SCG.
* League legend Wayne Pearce – a veteran of 19 Tests, 16 Origins, and 193 games for the Tigers.
* Gary Pemberton, former Qantas and SOCOG chairman, who will be invaluable when the commission starts negotiations on the new TV deal.
* Dr Chris Serra – indigenous education leader.
* Jeremy Sutcliffe – CSR chairman.
* Ian Elliott – brand strategist.
* And Peter Gregg – Leighton Holdings executive director.

It was well worth the near four-year wait to end up with such a quality commission.

Just remove the knives, Melbourne and Manly, to give the commission a flying start

Yes Manly have been holding back the advancement of Rugby League for years............

What dickhead wrote that? David Lord is that the old Channel 7 reporter

The Wheel said:
Yes Manly have been holding back the advancement of Rugby League for years............

What dickhead wrote that? David Lord is that the old Channel 7 reporter

David loves taking pot shots at Manly. He is trying to rival Paul Kunt me thinks! Here is his bio taken from The Roar website.

David Lord spends his waking hours keeping abreast of what’s happening in the world of sport around the world and is one of the pre-eminent voices on sport in Australia. David has been deeply involved in two of the biggest sporting stories - with World Series Cricket in 1977 and professional rugby in 1983. In those early days of WSC, David was managing Jeff Thomson and Vivian Richards. Withdrawing “Thommo” from the original WSC ended up in the High Court of England, described by David as “not a top tourist resort”. In 1983 he signed 208 of the best rugby players from Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France to play an international pro circuit. The concept didn’t get off the ground, but it did force the IRB to get cracking and bring in the World Rugby Cup, now of the world’s great sporting sporting spectacles every four years.

Below are some of his other "efforts"

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/09/06/a-faceless-mob-take-zorba-out-of-the-sea-eagles/

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/09/27/despite-grand-final-alls-not-well-inside-the-manly-play-penn/

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/10/04/memo-scott-penn-celebrate-then-get-on-with-the-jobs-at-hand/

David Lord was a first grade cricketer who couldn't make it at a higher level but saw an opportunity to star through the deeds of others via the media and sports management. He combined the ethics of a journalist with the selfless altruism of a sports promoter and manager. A notorious right wing commentator, he must be aged well over 70 nowadays.

Most credible commentators have slammed the quality of people appointed as inaugural commissioners, and the retention of the divisive figurehead Gallop as CEO. I wouldn't give Lord's self-serving ramblings a second thought.

"There’s no argument Gallop is the best man for the job for at least the next four years." I find that debatable to say the least.

The Lord of the Lunatics reckons we didn't take Gallops medicine with grace
That wasn't medicine what Gallop gave us you Lunatic that was poison.

Qayle and Arko were far better than Pinocchio

Daniel said:
Qayle and Arko were far better than Pinocchio

Absolutely. The best there has been since I have been following the game. I also find it amusing how supporters of other teams used to always say Arko favoured Manly... Yet Manly only won 1 premiership during the Arko years but have already won 2 during Gallop's tenure.

David "I think I am the" Lord said:
There’s no argument Gallop is the best man for the job for at least the next four years. In nearly 50 years of dealing with sporting administrators around the world, I rate Gallop right up there among the best.

Like Melbourne rorting the salary cap, and the aftermath to Manly’s infamous pre-season launch in 2009. Both clubs copped a rightful Gallop backlash. Neither club took its medicine with any grace.

This guy could possibly be the most arrogant person I have come across. By all means he is entitled to his opinions, but it doesn't make them Gospel. Maybe he thinks he really is the Lord...

MadMarcus said:

This guy could possibly be the most arrogant person I have come across. By all means he is entitled to his opinions, but it doesn't make them Gospel. Maybe he thinks he really is the Lord...
I doubt if any of us will easily forget or forgive.

bones said:
Yet Manly only won 1 premiership during the Arko years but have already won 2 during Gallop's tenure.

Some may say that is because Gallop favours Manly.... seriously, some people might say that!

Let them blame us, but who is to blame for taking 4 years to set up the IC?

If it hadn't taken so long maybe the Billion dollar deal would of been signed off by now and not jeopardised by the copyright laws after the court ruling last week. News ltd and their puppet Gallop are responsible.

It is also Manly's fault that Super League didn't work, which has cost the code many billions of dollars.

If it wasn't for Manly, Super League would still be going and rugby league would be the number 1 sport in the US and China.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4