Another point of view

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

the mauler

Bencher
Just read this on another forum and think it hits the nail on the head re our current predicament.

There is a management lesson to be had in all this.
A senior manager (coach) whilst highly important to any business is still an employee of the business. If you allow one employee to virtual 'own' all facts of the business and the relationships with key stakeholders, you are setting yourself up for a potential disaster like this one. The Manly executive (whilst staying out of coaching and football matters) should have been working hard on having strong relationships with the players, assistant coaches etc long ago. That way, when the day comes that Des walks away the business is still held together. But Des owns all the key relationships at Manly and is hostile to anyone getting involved.

Contrast that to Bennett who has left both his old clubs in tact with good working relationships between players, executive and coaching staff.

The day Des signed with the Dogs is the day he should have been marched. Not because he signed with another club, but because he did so obviously disgruntled. Since then (it would seem) he's been encouraging others to move with him and the seeds of discontent have been growing within the club each and every day.

Manly should have removed Des immediately, installed Toovey immediately and allowed the new coaching staff the room to install a new order, free of the negative influence of an obviously disgruntled senior employee.
Des' position is now untenable and in my opinion he will be removed in the near future.

Toovey to start his NRL coaching career with a win against Leeds. Did he start his first grade playing career against the touring GB side?

bones said:
Toovey to start his NRL coaching career with a win against Leeds. Did he start his first grade playing career against the touring GB side?

Yep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDVTpzZmIM

I agree .. I will have such fond memories of Des but need something to believe in for the future. My suggestion way back was to try get a few bucks out of the dogs for a terminating contract early. Even if only 100K ..something

the mauler said:
Contrast that to Bennett who has left both his old clubs in tact with good working relationships between players, executive and coaching staff.

Did Bennett leave Illawarra on good terms? He took Boyd and Cuthbertson with him . . . as well as the new WIN Oval grandstand!

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Agree totally it seems he is ripping the club apart because he couldn't get on with certain ppl

Agree BE that the issue here is Des ripping the club apart, not that he couldn't get on with some people.

There are always going to be 'powerbrokers' in any club that a coach won't get on with.

Spot on with the above assessment Mauler!

If the staff are leaving because of the board as the DT would have us believe then why would Dave Warwick change his mind and stay? All of a sudden he thinks he can work wth the board? Yeah sure.

The Who said:
the mauler said:

Did Bennett leave Illawarra on good terms? He took Boyd and Cuthbertson with him . . . as well as the new WIN Oval grandstand!

Bennett is definetly not a good example. The Aints haven't a great shade of their previous aura. And even the WIN Stadium Roof ripped off in that recent storm.:p

In my line of (IT) work, anyone who got a a job with another Company was walked to their desk to get their stuff by Security, and marched out immediately. Its for the moral of the one's staying, as its assumed that you are leaving for a better offer; intellectual property and customer database security issues and just common sense IMO. We never took it personally.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6