Anthony Watmough Poll

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Is Anthony Watmough Mature and Good Enough to Captain Manly

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Needs Moore Time

• Total voters

OneEyedEagle

Bencher
Just want to throw this one out to everyone in Silvertails.

At times I have been disappointed with Choc’s performance this year however I feel that in particular SSO3 has really brought the best out of Choc and I really would like to see him carry this performance over to his club matches.

I honestly feel that Choc has gain valuable experience playing SSO and might be just what he needed to mature himself and style of play by cutting out the silly errors.

I picked up on last night's footy show that Choc took up more of a leadership role amongst the blues players so my question to all is :

Do you think if Anthony Watmough is Mature and Good Enough to Captain Manly.

Not for manly NO way No how.

I would not put the captaincy of the club on his shoulders. However if he plays Origin for another year or 2 like he has, I would put the captaincy squarely on his shoulders for NSW.

Origin requires a different type of captain to NRL, and Watmough may be suited to leading by example in origin, the same example in NRL would likely get him sent off though :)

Dan, I'm not a big fan of Watmough and will openly state it but I would be interested to see if being given the captaincy how it would change his attitude performance at club level.

If it’s no to Watmough, who of the current crop players do you think would be a good replacement as captain once Ox moves on.

OneEyedEagle link said:
Dan, I'm not a big fan of Watmough and will openly state it but I would be interested to see if being given the captaincy how it would change his attitude performance at club level.

If it’s no to Watmough, who of the current crop players do you think would be a good replacement as captain once Ox moves on.

Captain needs off field leadership ans well as on field leadership.

For mine Captain candidates

- Jamie Lyon (He wouldn't want it but he would be one of the best captains going around)

- In a few years, Ballin would make a captain, but not for at least a year or 2

- Despite his ongoing drama, Brett Stewart
- Glenn Stewart (though I dont think he is a leader)

- From left field I would think about Robbo as well. He is virtually indestructible and there every game, he fills in for other players and puts his hand up. Other players look up to him and I think although a dark horse, would be a good captain.

But when I watch the team, without taking specific notice Jamie Lyon is the clear leader in more ways than 1. You watch a player make a mistake, he finds his way near them to get their chin up, he has mentored David Williams a lot this year as well.

Watch this weekend and watch Lyon closely, whether he wants to be thrust into the lime light and be a leader is another story, but the guy is a natural leader

You have enlightened me dan, i never thought of Robbo as captain, but the more i think about the more the qualities are there. Unfortunately being a winger he can't have an impact on the game like the Halves can or the Forwards.

Who was the last winger to ever captain anything?

Irvine captained the bears a few times, remember, he threatened the walk off

OneEyedEagle link said:
What about Steve Matai especially if he cuts out some of his on field niggling.

Steve Matai absolutely not!

being a good player and/or passionate does not make you a good captain.

Look at the mould of players who have captained us in the past

Toovey - Great player, but a fair cleanskin as well
- Menzies - Clean as a whistle and mature
- Snoz - Great player mature as well, relatively clean
The list goes on

Matai will never be a captain of any team, he is not a leader, and he doesnt have the maturity and qualities needed.

The above players I listed are the only ones of the current squad that have captain potential besides Orford, who is in fact a good captain!

If Orford goes, Lyon would be the first person I would approach and would not take no for an answer because the next few in line have none of the leadership qualities that Lyon has.

Again Robbo is a dark horse, but he is too much of one of the boys!

Dan i agree with most of what you said but Beaver was an average captain, didnt have the mean streak needed i think.

Fluffy link said:
Dan i agree with most of what you said but Beaver was an average captain, didnt have the mean streak needed i think.

Yeah I agree with beaver, he turned out to not be a good captain, but he had most of the right qualities. The point I guess I was trying to make, is there are a few qualities that a lot of the past captains shared.

Overall after Orford, Lyon is the best fit in my book. He would do a good job now as well if Orford is out.

Beaver was still a good leader, but better as a leader when he wasnt captain. He did his part as a leader even though he wasnt, if you know what I mean

In fairness to beaver, he only took over the captaincy after the Northern Eagles debacle. The playing roster and moral couldn't have been at an all time high. I wonder how the beave would have gone with current playing roster as a captain.

Personally and I hate to say it I think it would be the same result.

Jamie Lyon would be an excellent candidate.

Have we ever had a kiwi as a manly captain

OneEyedEagle link said:
In fairness to beaver, he only took over the captaincy after the Northern Eagles debacle. The playing roster and moral couldn't have been at an all time high. I wonder how the beave would have gone with current playing roster as a captain.

Personally and I hate to say it I think it would be the same result.

Jamie Lyon would be an excellent candidate.

Have we ever had a kiwi as a manly captain
Matthew Ridge?

After matt orford I'd look at giving Jason King the captaincy. He's local, loyal and has started getting some mongrel in his game

Nutzcraw link said:
After matt orford I'd look at giving Jason King the captaincy. He's local, loyal and has started getting some mongrel in his game

Are you actually Kingyfan masquarading as Nutzcraw?

Nutzcraw you are kidding right. What does being a local boy have to do with it. Kingy would be a very very poor choice fir captain. He is not a stand out and once again he is nit a leader

Brett Stewart? Kite? (out of form at the mo. but would lead from the front if put in the position)
Have to agree with Dan to some extent, Jamie Lyon would make an excellent captain, might be what he needs to keep him here. He probably would not want it but if we told him all our hopes are pinned on him he might start to believe.
I voted no for Watmough, the more i think on it he may well fit the boot. Give him a few chances if guys are out injured and see how he goes. He is definitely a big talker on the field.

Dan link said:
Nutzcraw you are kidding right. What does being a local boy have to do with it. Kingy would be a very very poor choice fir captain. He is not a stand out and once again he is nit a leader

Hey Dan,

Nah not kidding mate.

I don't think it is that stupid an idea. He's a manly boy which is good. He has controlled agression on the football field i.e - doesn't give away too many stupid penalties. He's been our best front rower for the last 2 years. He has passion for the manly jersey. He's been at the club for a number of years and I'm sure would be regarded as a 'senior player'. Hasn't he been doing a law degree?? So, he should be coherent when discussing things with the ref.

I have no relation to kingyfan... in fact you'll probably find a fair few posts from a while back where I was hanging **** on kingy big time. I'm over it because he's playing good footy. He and choc are leading our pack these days.

Perry and Kite both played origin this year.... I think King has been going better than the pair of them.

Anyways, It's a suggestion.

P.S. - I don't think we'll ever see Jamie Lyon as captain. I don't think he'd make a decent captain at all. Any interview you see with him he's struggling to string a sentence together. He's a shy bush kid who has walked out on a club and shown little interest in playing for his state. I dunno whether he's the type of bloke you want captaining your club. He is one hell of a footballer though.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8