Any credit for Toovey??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Theres been a few ppl keen to put the boot in to Tooves after a few losses & though I have never wavered on rating him as competitive as anyone to play the game, expecting this to rub off on the players as coach will take time.
The entire team made all the 1% plays that had been lacking ripping in for the entire 80 minutes - Tooves style.
For mine Tooves is a Seaeagles champion who stepped up to the plate in 1 of the darkest hours to keep a sinking ship alive.
The signs are there that the trust between the players & coach are now building nicely.
Not jumping the gun after a win but there has been threads regarding our close wins, overlooking the flip side that we have also had a sight in every game lost.
Lets face it - the game was not a pretty sparkling performance & in many ways it was a gritty, grinding win playing simple effective footy & strangling the opposition into submission - just what we needed.
This coach bleeds Maroon & White & deserves full support - Manly lose & he gets a decent spray - win & Tooves gets little mention??
Imo by round 20 he will have this team firing on all cylinders & equal favourites with the Storm.

Yeah I have plenty for him, he was great in the 1997 grand final, origin and in just about every game he played. Bloke was a champ of a player

There's credit to you for speaking out and supporting Tooves. I agree with you on all counts.
He loves our club and his loyalty will never waver. Great to see the boys coming through for him.

There has only been a very small minority of people death riding Tooves. Maybe he won't be another Bozo, maybe he will, but you can be sure he won't lack passion. He'll coach like he played, and if you can't get inspired by Tooves then you don't know enough about the history of the club you are playing for.

Daniel said:
Yeah I have plenty for him, he was great in the 1997 grand final, origin and in just about every game he played. Bloke was a champ of a player

That he was Dan - but do you rate his coaching ability or are you reserving judgement??

Hear Hear, MK Eagle. Tooves is an absolute champ, and i hope he succeeds in his years of coaching, just like he did as a player for our great club.

• 👍
Reactions: L80
I'm a bit stunned at how much bagging he got. He is a new coach so will take some time to settle in (Des did) but he's looking good to me and a Manly legend.

I figure he has'nt done much wrong . Injuries and suspensions have'nt helped, but the young blokes he's brought up have done the job. He's prepared to back his own judgement, the hallmark of a good coach.

ads said:
I'm a bit stunned at how much bagging he got. He is a new coach so will take some time to settle in (Des did) but he's looking good to me and a Manly legend.

I think people started to panic with the 3 consequative losses. Must remember it took Des 3 years to become successful. I feel a bit for Toovey he was thrust into that job overnight under terrible circumstances, and although it was always the succession plan he himself was prepared for it be years off.

Things will take time.

I was devasted when Des did what he did and left, thinking that is the end, but I have got over all that and really do think Toovey will be successful. I always knew it wouldn't happen overnight :shy:

MK Eagle said:
Daniel said:
That he was Dan - but do you rate his coaching ability or are you reserving judgement??
Very much reserving judgement until next year probably late next year.

Hectic start to the year is probably to blame for our form. We are still running similar lines to the last few years and a lot of hasler work there.

When we start running new set plays regularly and I see some new patterns I can pass judgement but until then the jury is well and truly out

Dan, I can see an immediate change. Toovs uses all the bench players for a start and he seem to be developing a more relaxed group of players. I see them smiling and having a good time running from the field. And the beer shed has a new paint job.

Yes but we are 3 and 3 which is not so great which is why I will give it more time before declaring my opinion

He is the first Manly legend to coach the Sea Eagles since Bob Fulton. No doubts in my mind whatsoever that he will succeed.

Daniel said:
Yes but we are 3 and 3 which is not so great which is why I will give it more time before declaring my opinion

And the last time we were defending Premiers we were 0-4 after four rounds.

I like the fact that he backs his judgement of Players on current performance.
Case in point - GG and MO dropped Taufua promoted from nowhere.

He seems to have attracted the support Staff required to be an NRL Coach. They are all new to Manly and even 1st Grade, so the teething problems are acceptable.

Was please to see the passion he showed during the game.
Looked like he was going to go down in the 1st half and pull on the jersey himsel :p

Having watched him come through the grades at Manly, has been many decades of enjoyment :heart:

The line up on the weekend alot had limited experiance at top level in important positions and Tooves had the team play tough, foot on the throat type rugby league we tackled and ran hard all game and played smart , simple but you still need to execute. For the young guys to be prepared that well and the older guys as determined as they were i think alot of credit should be directed at Tooves.

One of the toughest players in the game and one of my all time favourites he is a legend.

I have a good feeling about whats ahead we are on the way up and at top flight i dont think many other teams can go with us !!!

If we had a full roster and a fair go in the scheduling we'd almost certainly be equal with melbourne, or at least brisbane.

The people bagging Toovey are probably the same ones who used to bag T Rex, but now are desperate for him to be re-signed. They are probably the same ones who wanted Brett Stewart cut for wasting cap space when he was injured, but forgot all about it as they cheered him on when he played a huge role in Manly winning the premiership again last year. There are some people that just aren't happy unless they have something to whinge about. Ten years ago we had plenty to whinge about, not now. I don't know why people can't just enjoy it.

bones said:
The people bagging Toovey are probably the same ones who used to bag T Rex, but now are desperate for him to be re-signed. They are probably the same ones who wanted Brett Stewart cut for wasting cap space when he was injured, but forgot all about it as they cheered him on when he played a huge role in Manly winning the premiership again last year. There are some people that just aren't happy unless they have something to whinge about. Ten years ago we had plenty to whinge about, not now. I don't know why people can't just enjoy it.

Fair go bones.
T-rex was absolutely woeful on the wing. He was too slow and didn't have much impact. He certainly didn't justify his salary and the hype.
There was no potential.

He was moved to the backrow and of course he has become a completely different player.

Nothing more to say about having Toove's as a coach that hasn't been mentioned above...As a player he was always an inspiration. From his debut against the poms at Brookie, to the last time he pulled on the Maroon and white...the guy was always a champion, and a Manly local to boot.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2