ANZAC day message

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lurker

Beaver lover
This poem always strikes a cord with me each year. I love Anzac Day as its a great time to remember the sacrifice of those before us and to honor those that still serve.

They joined for many reasons:
To march, to sail, to fly.
They went where they were posted, but no one joins to die.
Our leaders talk on tv,
"What else could we have done",
But those leaders have lost no daughters, and none has lost a son.
So here's to all our fallen,
wherever they may lie.
Rest in peace now brother,
It's no ones job to die.

Lest we forget.

My team got absolutely got toweld up last night, I watched it with a good mate who is a tigers supporter. We joked, laughed and took the piss out of one another. Oh and got drunk.

Both attended our local service at 4.30am where we both had some strange liquid welling in our eyes.

I'm in my old home town Moree, massive turnout here for the Dawn Service ( probably close to 2000), and I've just returned from the main service and I'd be surprised if almost the whole town didn't turn out, so probably 8000 or more.

It just seems to get bigger every year!!

Can someone tell me why it is a dawn service, at least in the uk we have armistice day at 11am, which is quite a civilised time. I don't really do 4am very well unless it is a continuation from the night before

Can someone tell me why it is a dawn service, at least in the uk we have armistice day at 11am, which is quite a civilised time. I don't really do 4am very well unless it is a continuation from the night before

Not 100% sure but I believe it has to do with the fact that it was dawn when the first ANZAC's landed on the beach of Gallipoli.

If anyone can confirm this or in fact give the correct reason (if I'm wrong), I'll happily stand corrected :)

This is what I thought may be the reason, however, dawn in Turkey would be early afternoon in Australia. No disrespect but a later start would suit so many of us better

The quote from Mustafa Kemal always gets me. It was in 1934 and he wrote this to the mothers of the fallen Anzacs:

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Because the invasion was at dawn 100 years ago, and the war widow held her vigil at dawn.

The quote from Mustafa Kemal always gets me. It was in 1934 and he wrote this to the mothers of the fallen Anzacs:

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
That a huge thing to say by a former foe, hard to find anything bigger especially back then.

Here's some info on it from the government website.

"It is often suggested that the Dawn Service observed on Anzac Day has its origins in a military routine still followed by the Australian Army. The half-light of dawn was one of the times most favoured for launching an attack. Soldiers in defensive positions were woken in the dark before dawn, so by the time first light crept across the battlefield they were awake, alert, and manning their weapons; this is still known as the “stand-to”. As dusk is equally favourable for battle, the stand-to was repeated at sunset.

After the First World War, returned soldiers sought the comradeship they had felt in those quiet, peaceful moments before dawn."

It was at dawn when our soldiers made landfall at Gallipoli. So many drew their last breaths at this time on April 25th 1915, so this is why we remember them at dawn each year.

It was at dawn when our soldiers made landfall at Gallipoli. So many drew their last breaths at this time on April 25th 1915, so this is why we remember them at dawn each year.
Correct

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7