Are we an ageing team?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
This is a young man's sport and many of our squad are 'veterans'. Is this having an effect on our second half performances?
I think the same question can be asked of the Storm. It's hard to remain on top.
I know we have a crop of Toyota Cup locals, and young recruits coming . . . .
Just asking your opinion.

I don't know, we are capable of good footy in the 2nd halves such as the game against Souths. I don't think it has anything to do with the age of the team, it's something else but I can't quite tell.

As great as Joe has been he is only lasting 20 min a game before going out injured the last few weeks. We cant continue to play with a 3 or 2 man bench through finals games.Will be interesting to see next weeks lineup but we cannot go into the game carrying anyone who cant play the full 80 min .

Hard one, yes, we have some older guys but they have performed all year (lyon, choc, kite, king, brett etc) What we saw last night was a totally dominant forward pack that blitzed us apart.

Weigh up the halves battle: dce and foz are on 600 each and keating would be what on 100-150? who was better? We have spent huge dollars on halves and we saw last night they can't do much with no forwards. Our best forward was a 20 year old rookie winger!! Glenn looked lost last night.

good call Mick, look at Dogs bench: Graham, Finecua, Payne! They made huge inroads. Mauro got shown as a plodder in highest company and buhrer seems to be going nowhere currently in his career. He ain't a back and why we keep putting him there I'm not sure. My mate said we looked lost on the right and we probably were.

We do have a lot of guys in the 27-early 30's age group. It doesn't seem to be those guys running out of puff though.
The older guys I can think of are:
Stewarts
Lyon
Ballin
King
Kite
Joe
Stevie
Choc
Rose?
Wolfie's about 26 now. I think the rest of the team are in the 25 or under group, so there's a balance of youth and experience. I guess our senior players are going to be more vulnerable to injury and loss of speed over the coming seasons.
I really wouldn't trade any of those fellas in the top list though.

Yes.

Firstly, the Dogs put it to us at every aspect of the game.

You have to have a blend of experience and youth. Solidity and brilliance.
1. Our halves are youthful, but last night 1 of them played like an old man.
2. Our forwards are experienced, but that did not stop them doing 'stupid' things.
3. Our attack looked tired and 'static' for much of the match, we couldn't fight thru that water tight defence.

4. Most of our older players, played old last night. Joe, Jason, Stevie, Brett, - the one exception was Choc.

Losing Lussick, Trex, Harrison, Oldfield, Whare, - things are not looking that bright for next year.

Last week these old and decrepit players got us to premeirship favouritism. You work it out. Age was not a factor last night, injuries happen, sure they are harder to overcome as you get older but you are no more susceptible to incurring them.

I'm sure they will be blooding some new talent next year. Look at Taufua this year. Toovey has only had to use 24 players this season. This year was about shoring up the damage left by Barry O Burpa's new best friend, Des 'the Felangist' Hasler and his common-law wife, Noeline Cleal.

All in all, Manly have had a pretty impressive season, irrespective of what happens now.

Darren said:
Hard one, yes, we have some older guys but they have performed all year (lyon, choc, kite, king, brett etc) What we saw last night was a totally dominant forward pack that blitzed us apart.

Weigh up the halves battle: dce and foz are on 600 each and keating would be what on 100-150? who was better? We have spent huge dollars on halves and we saw last night they can't do much with no forwards. Our best forward was a 20 year old rookie winger!! Glenn looked lost last night.

good call Mick, look at Dogs bench: Graham, Finecua, Payne! They made huge inroads. Mauro got shown as a plodder in highest company and buhrer seems to be going nowhere currently in his career. He ain't a back and why we keep putting him there I'm not sure. My mate said we looked lost on the right and we probably were.

Get a grip Darren no one is saying buhrer is a back. Given we have rarely wasted an interchange position with a back who should have replaced killer when he went off?

Have seen this post trotted out a couple of times a year since 2009

Matai, Stewart etc too old at 28-29,that'll do me

What Chip and Chase said

Where was all this talk last week? Gee you lot are fickle

The sky is falling and we are gone. It is perfectly reasonable for many on here to think we are favourites one week then all off a sudden after being on the end of a massive 6 point hiding we are in trouble as the players are old and no good.

Ceagle said:
I don't know, we are capable of good footy in the 2nd halves such as the game against Souths. I don't think it has anything to do with the age of the team, it's something else but I can't quite tell.
It's a lot like '10 where we faded in the second half what seemed to be regularly. Is it will? They know what it takes to win but maybe are not willing to go through the pain it takes.

No the age of our squad has nothing to do with it. We clearly don't have or stick to the correct game plan sometimes. We got carried away with trying to be physical last night when we should have been concentrating on some slick set plays to score some points.

torana355 said:
No the age of our squad has nothing to do with it. We clearly don't have or stick to the correct game plan sometimes. We got carried away with trying to be physical last night when we should have been concentrating on some slick set plays to score some points.

Your right there m8 and we had defensive lapses that lead to that pug Morris running down the side line for blah blah to score under the sticks. If we are guilty of anything it’s not playing 80mins of football, defensive lapses.

Snake doesn't have the speed he used to, a few years back that break he made no one would have caught him.

If we can get through next week we will make the final and win.

Sheikheagle said:
Darren said:

Get a grip Darren no one is saying buhrer is a back. Given we have rarely wasted an interchange position with a back who should have replaced killer when he went off?

I think he was talking about Taufua.

Yes we are.
We're older than yesterday and guess what , we'll be older again tomorrow.
Hang on, arnen't all the teams ageing too!

We had an off night, that's all.

I love you.

Twice as much as I did yesterday....

And half as much as I will tomorrow.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8