Are we really lightweights?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Freagle

Bencher
I've been wondering, like many others, whether we'll be badly troubled by a lack of size this year without Kitey, Gorgeous George, Joey G and Fuss. The guys we have in are not big props really, seems we have gone for mobile rather than brute strength. Certainly the win over Souffs helped dispel some of that doubt. We clearly still have the ability to hit hard and swarm all over another team in defence. But over a long season, will this take too large a toll? You have to really 'get up' to play above your weight, which will tire us out against big, fast teams. I did notice notice that at least some players are heavier than in previous years. Horo is playing at 107kgs according to a Daily Telegraph story, and Watmough is apparently playing heavier this year too at about 98, 99 kgs. Hasson is probably bigger than 105 kegs as well - he's been listed at that for years now. I kind of wish the website would actually put up proper stats, rather than rely on previous years figures. But regardless, I wonder if Donny Singe has decided we need some more mass, and stacked a few of the guys in the off season? Anyone know more?

If the current speed of the game remains all year I really don't think you want to be the heaviest forward pack in the comp. our relatively light weight forwards you referred to have a distinct advantage. If the new rules get relaxed and the bigger props become more valuable again during the season we still don't look that bad off. Surely King, Lawrence, Starling, Lauakie, and Lui are big enough.

I think Cliffy may well be right, mobile big boppers might be more in vogue in 2014......if the Eagles have designed it that way then Dave Warwick is nothing less than a super talented human being!!

Maybe he knew that the slow moving big boppers were "old school"??

Yes, definitely could be an asset I guess. Wonder if anyone will pick up Kasiano, if the rumours are true about him being cut.

Toovey and Warwick are Ironstines. We never got rid of any big boppers until the rule changes came about. Fast mobile forwards are the future in this game. No more massive coilisions and faster rucks are what they want so a pack of backrowers is what is needed.

Frosteagle said:
Yes, definitely could be an asset I guess. Wonder if anyone will pick up Kasiano, if the rumours are true about him being cut.

Why do you think they are trying to cut Kasiano and Williams? (Williams is a rumor atm)

They are big and slow.

At the beginning of last year I thought we were finished as the game seemed to be all about giant wrecking balls doing run after run up the guts (Dogs being a prime example). They weren't the teams that made the GF. Big bopper players don't look like they will be as important this year. George Burgess might prove the exception but high work rate players look like ruling so it will be about ticker, fitness, speed and mobility.

Well we must be as well-placed an anyone in that department I guess! Lauaki will still come on and roll up the middle I suppose, bend the line a bit with speed and size. Bring on the Eels...

Blocker Roach was considered to be a heavyweight forward and he was 185cm tall and 105kg's. there is a lot more to it than just weight.

Agree with most comments.

The 2014 season is alot faster that yesteryear, and it fitness in your front row will be important. I think its good to have one, mabye 2 wrecking balls, but other than that your want mobile players in your front row.

Most importantly you need them to be defensively strong, so speed, agility and fitness will be most cruical.

Compared to most the lightweight assessment is fair.
Funny thing is most associate this with a lack of aggression.
The Manly pack is very rarely overpowered in the trenches as this lightweight factor is used as a positive...
* Able to speed the attack up through the middle, taking away the bigger opposition packs energy capacity, minimising their impact.
* Ability to get numbers into tackles & maintain defensive shape.
* Compete more effectively for the full 80 minutes & play with a more physical approach all day.
* Set quicker after opposition kicks, helping belt the ball back out of the red zone.
* Having Toovey as coach - this bloke used to drive Chief Harrigan backwards in defence so has NO excuses about size...its attitude.

Manly have been changing the way they play the game and the type of players they need since tooves hit the deck. The new rules are are a coincidence i believe. He wants a lot more footy than bash and barge. His interchange rotation is part of this as well

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6