ARL Rule Change Would Strengthen International Rugby League & State of Origin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Aetna

Reserve Grader
International Rugby League players of NZ, PNG & Polynesian nations like Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands etc should be eligible to represent NSW or QLD in the State of Origin if they are born in Australia or hold a Australian Passport & pay their Taxes in Australia.

This will strengthen both the State of Origin & make international Rugby League much stronger.

It becomes a joke when every New Zealander, Papua New Guinean & Polynesian wanting to play for Australia for the wrong reason. Only to play in the State of Origin.

Been arguing this for ages.
The Cayless brothers and Foran are prime examples of this came up via NSW but are proud Kiwis.
Mateo loves repping Tonga but wants to play Origin so won't be playing for them.
Players that are eligible to play Origin risk costing themselves $50k if they choose Nationality over Origin.
Origin while a strength of league is also a massive weakness costing us a stronger international scene.

Another thing is the fact that Gallop has allowed players to dictate when they rep Australia.
It rates as a monumental cock up of epic proportions to not play something before a World Cup year.
ARLC should just pick players that want to play for Australia at the end of year (there is a precedence circa 2001 players that didnt want to go on tour got to stay and the only one that stayed was Shane Webcke) and do a Pacific tour play these nations

These days everything is for sale. IMHO you should be born in the state to play for them. SOG has meaning, not like tonga vs Scotland in a World Cup.

It's called State of ORIGIN. Origin should be where you were born, end of discussion. I don't care where you spent most of your life.

The only way I'd adjust that is if your dad played for the other state. Then, and only then, would you get a choice (aka Ballin's kids, Fatty's son etc).

You should never have the choice in this stuff. You represent your country, or you don't get chosen at all.

If you are not an Australian then you don't get to play Origin. Pretty simple.

I watch a lot of league and there's 3 games I no longer watch and they are Origin.
I'd rather watch a test match between two minnows than Origin.

Jono said:
It's called State of ORIGIN. Origin should be where you were born, end of discussion. I don't care where you spent most of your life.

The only way I'd adjust that is if your dad played for the other state. Then, and only then, would you get a choice (aka Ballin's kids, Fatty's son etc).

You should never have the choice in this stuff. You represent your country, or you don't get chosen at all.

If you are not an Australian then you don't get to play Origin. Pretty simple.
If you are an Australian Citizen, are you not an Australian?

In regards to playing where you were born. What if you are born in Tasmania? What if you were born in Perth, Melbourne or Adelaide?

Former Canterbury Bulldogs player Gary Hughes & Manly Sea Eagles great Bob Fulton were born in England. What do you do then?

manlyfan76 said:
O.R.I.G.I.N not where you want to play A La Ingliss.
Ingliss playing for QLD is a joke, as Israel Folau a Minto boy was.

I think it's where you played your first junior Rugby League?

Benji Marshall was born in NZ but played his first junior Rugby League in Australia. Not sure if in QLD or NSW? He even played for the Australian School Boys Team, is an Australian Citizen & pays his taxes in Australia.
Why isn't he eligible to play State of Origin? If he & other NZ & Polynesian players went to The Equal Employment board or took the matter to court under Restriction of Trade etc they would probably win. State of Origin is not under the International Rugby League rule but the ARL.

Sam Kasiano of the Canterbury Bulldogs, born in Auckland New Zealand & played for the Junior Kiwi (NZ) team said he wants to play State of Origin for QLD & therefor will play for Australia & not NZ. Another joke.

Tonga & Samoa could of been playing in the Rugby League World Cup Final if all players of Tongan heritage played for Tonga & all Samoans played for Samoa.

How good would it be if Tonga & Samoa could compete with Australia, NZ & GB?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6