Ashes 2017-2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Glenn Mcgrath

"A 5-0 series win to Australia."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...s/news-story/0f3efea77910b77909eac920701aab16

Take a moment to reacquaint yourself with some of the less heralded storylines from the last two 5-0 drubbings of the touring Poms.

DAMIEN MARTYN RETIRED MID-SERIES
ANDREW SYMONDS HAD HIS TEST CRICKET BREAKOUT
STUART CLARK WAS UNSTOPPABLE
BRAD HADDIN WAS THE HERO
IT WAS THE END OF KP
STUART BROAD WAS BOOED ALL OVER AUSTRALIA

(caps are from the article..)

Can't believe the way Steve Smith and Australia have taken their policy on selecting batsman

Used to be 10000 runs in first class and you might get considered, now if you string together 2 good scores and are mates with the skipper you're a pretty good chance

Another good headline would be when Mitchell Johnson punched holes in the pommy batsmen on the last tour.
May there be more of the same from Starcy and Cummo this time round.
Especially Jimmy Anderson.
I hope he leaks when he drinks after this tour.

Looking forward to seeing how Cummins goes in his first home series, hoping he rips in and stays fit. Could be a revelation.

KE it'd be nice if we had some batsmen with 10,000 Shield runs to choose from, even someone with 5000 runs would be great. Just no one that we haven't already tried. Really hope they ditch Wade for Nevill. Apart from keeper only spot likely open for contention is 6.

Looking forward to seeing how Cummins goes in his first home series, hoping he rips in and stays fit. Could be a revelation.

KE it'd be nice if we had some batsmen with 10,000 Shield runs to choose from, even someone with 5000 runs would be great. Just no one that we haven't already tried. Really hope they ditch Wade for Nevill. Apart from keeper only spot likely open for contention is 6.
Makes me remember the days of Dene Hills and Michael Di Venuto or Jamie Cox who could never get a start but would be walk ups today.

TEST SQUAD: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (c), Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Jackson Bird, Chadd Sayers.

Shaun Marsh !!!???? Really ? That guy has more lives than a cat. When do we just move on from him ? the guy is mid thirties and just can't make the step up in level. Good to see Bancroft get a look in on the weight of some runs, but i would have preferred we kept Renshaw and given Bancroft a start at 6 instead of resurrecting Marsh.

Tim Paine......WOW !!!! there's a left field pick. Sure he is (was ??) a good keeper but is he really the long term answer. Maybe they are hoping Bancroft will settle into team as batsman first without pressure of keeping and then take over. Feel sorry for Nevill. Do you really need to be so technically correct behind the stumps to a 3 prong pace attack and an offie not known for turning the ball a lot ? especially on Australian decks which are relatively true of bounce.

No surprises with bowling attack. Looking forward to seeing Cummins stay fit and play 5 tests. Having a cheeky wager on him being leading wicket taker for series.

Tim Paine could work, he should've replaced Hadden nearly a decade ago, form is temporary..... class is permanent

Shaun Marsh though, 8th test recall,8 time failure soon to be 9

Tim Paine averages less than 30 in Shield. Not sure he has either class or form on his side these days. I was a big fan 6 or 7 years ago - but he is 32 and hasn't looked likely for a while now. It is only England though so he might end playing his way into a CA contract

Tim Paine averages less than 30 in Shield. Not sure he has either class or form on his side these days. I was a big fan 6 or 7 years ago - but he is 32 and hasn't looked likely for a while now. It is only England though so he might end playing his way into a CA contract
Shield form is total bull**** when it comes to national selections of batsmen

Shield bowlers can bowl on shield pitches,international bowlers won't be as easily prepared
to play on our fields as much as our shield bowlers are,can the english bowl at a shield level?

All i can say is ihope our bowlers bowl england out early and cheap in every innings.

Shield form is total bull**** when it comes to national selections of batsmen

Shield bowlers can bowl on shield pitches,international bowlers won't be as easily prepared
to play on our fields as much as our shield bowlers are,can the english bowl at a shield level?
It's great to be parochial but you really don't think the English Test bowlers would cut it at Shield level ??

It's great to be parochial but you really don't think the English Test bowlers would cut it at Shield level ??
That's not what I'm saying, obviously they could but they don't bowl on pitches prepared like this other than 5 matches every 3 years and well Brisbane and Sydney still have personality, Adelaide the borefest has been reinvigorated by the pink ball but unless we play at the WACA, meh and if I'm right about Melbourne they just threw away their 10 roads last year

England don't bowl on roads at home

Wow, playing with fire selection wise, and so many contradictions

Smith won't pick Cowan for NSW because of age, but picks Marsh who is 8 months younger ?

Tim Paine, correct me if I'm wrong on what I heard, no first class hundred for 10 years, average of 16 the past 3 seasons, and has kept 3 games in 2 seasons. Australian cricket has taken a huge turn away from what it used to be

Brent Geeves doesn't hold back in his articles, and most of them are on the money too

Smith won't pick Cowan for NSW because of age, but picks Marsh who is 8 months younger ?

Tim Paine, correct me if I'm wrong on what I heard, no first class hundred for 10 years, average of 16 the past 3 seasons, and has kept 3 games in 2 seasons. Australian cricket has taken a huge turn away from what it used to be

Brent Geeves doesn't hold back in his articles, and most of them are on the money too
Geeves is always great reading.
I just want an update of the old 70s Lillee / Thommo mantra....
Ashes to ashes dust to dust if Starcy don't get ya then Cummo must !!

Geeves did an episode on the Grade Cricketer Podcast last summer - worth a listen to.

The gabba is now as lame as any other wicket you can find.
It's not even a shadow of its former self.
Sure you might get 5 days out of it or something as entertaining as a draw but the fun and fire of the first session and a half has long gone to the detriment of the home team advantage.
The gabba is now boring.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4