Attention Technical Coach: 2013; A new style of play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
I have still not got over the shock after last nights loss ... but hats off to our players and staff for a great year.

We lost because we were battered and bruised, we were no match for the fresh, clinical and ref supported scum.

We need to learn as the great cub that we are, realise that it is time to move on.

I can't help but think back to our first match this year against the Warriors. Right off the kick-off, we were fresh, full strength, clinical and brilliant in attack. The preferred Hasler legacy instilled in our squad to bash the opposition the death had finally taken its toll our players last night. It's time for us to change our playing style because we will largely have the same squad next year, but their bodies will be one year older.

Technical Coach: Seeking your feedback

1. Back DCE and Foran to the hilt and give them to platform to show they are the best halves in the comp

2. A splash of youth, fit, mobile, tackle 3 at a time a la scum that dominate without having destroyed bodies leading into a grand final qualifer

3. Backs shutdown with speed without worrying about smashing the tits off the attacker. I love Matai as much as anyone and I think he tone down his hits and still have his best year ever next year

There was a magic 20 min passage against the broncs a few weeks back that should be the blue print. Spin it far left then far right but only after hitting it up strongly for 4 tackles. Fancy stuff comes easily once the hard work is done. Conspicuously lacking last night.

Shoe1 said:
There was a magic 20 min passage against the broncs a few weeks back that should be the blue print. Spin it far left then far right but only after hitting it up strongly for 4 tackles. Fancy stuff comes easily once the hard work is done. Conspicuously lacking last night.

We couldn't hold the ball for 4 tackles.

Shoe1 said:

We couldn't hold the ball for 4 tackles.

In isolation Fridays performance had zero to do with tactics or style of play we were chock full of nerves at the start and it all went down hill from this point. If we held the ball and at least applied some pressure with half decent completion rates then you could look at tactics and style of play.(this game alone)

In terms of our style of play for the entire season i have always stated we don't play in the most efficient smart manner in attack and defence.

The problem with our physical style is 4-5yrs ago we were the toughest and probably one of the fittest teams around and we could defeat teams with this attitude before they entered the ground. We are no longer a standout team just a better team than most with an aging forward pack that will find it harder each year to maintain the rage and continue with the same level of physical aggression as the past.

Manly and Melb have both elevated the standard of the game, created the best structures and have been the benchmark for the past 5yrs to the point that all the good aspects of each team are being replicated by others and tweaked even further.

In essence we have stagnated and other clubs have lifted---we might still be aggressive in our defence but we are no longer alone with that mentality and it will take a toll on our troops more so in the same manner other clubs felt when they played Manly.

We need to take pressure off our defence by being more clinical in attack---and attack is not just about point scoring it's go forward and efficiency in getting forward.

Clinical good structured attack will lead to a more composed and confident playing group which will lead to less drop ball less pressure on our defence and reduced fatigue levels.

I think Toovey will also address the size and mobility issues and it's one of the reasons why Rose is out of favour---i can see Toovey wanting more speed and mobility in our pack but it's a fine line you don't want to be too small either.

A few players fitness levels are not up to scratch either i wont name names.

Definitely the reason why we are coping so many injuries this year. Older players trying to bash opponents like they used to are injuring themselves. We have to play a lot smarter next year. We have to preserve our bodies and not try to prove how tough we are. 2V will have to change our playing style but I wonder if we have the squad to play a different way now. I can see a couple of lean years coming up but we must have a succession plan for some ageing bodies.

Technical Coach said:
In isolation Fridays performance had zero to do with tactics or style of play we were chock full of nerves at the start and it all went down hill from this point. If we held the ball and at least applied some pressure with half decent completion rates then you could look at tactics and style of play.(this game alone)

In terms of our style of play for the entire season i have always stated we don't play in the most efficient smart manner in attack and defence.

The problem with our physical style is 4-5yrs ago we were the toughest and probably one of the fittest teams around and we could defeat teams with this attitude before they entered the ground. We are no longer a standout team just a better team than most with an aging forward pack that will find it harder each year to maintain the rage and continue with the same level of physical aggression as the past.

Manly and Melb have both elevated the standard of the game, created the best structures and have been the benchmark for the past 5yrs to the point that all the good aspects of each team are being replicated by others and tweaked even further.

In essence we have stagnated and other clubs have lifted---we might still be aggressive in our defence but we are no longer alone with that mentality and it will take a toll on our troops more so in the same manner other clubs felt when they played Manly.

We need to take pressure off our defence by being more clinical in attack---and attack is not just about point scoring it's go forward and efficiency in getting forward.

Clinical good structured attack will lead to a more composed and confident playing group which will lead to less drop ball less pressure on our defence and reduced fatigue levels.

I think Toovey will also address the size and mobility issues and it's one of the reasons why Rose is out of favour---i can see Toovey wanting more speed and mobility in our pack but it's a fine line you don't want to be too small either.

A few players fitness levels are not up to scratch either i wont name names.

Re poor fitness Trex and Gift come to mind

silvertail said:
I have still not got over the shock after last nights loss ... but hats off to our players and staff for a great year.

We lost because we were battered and bruised, we were no match for the fresh, clinical and ref supported scum.

We need to learn as the great cub that we are, realise that it is time to move on.

I can't help but think back to our first match this year against the Warriors. Right off the kick-off, we were fresh, full strength, clinical and brilliant in attack. The preferred Hasler legacy instilled in our squad to bash the opposition the death had finally taken its toll our players last night. It's time for us to change our playing style because we will largely have the same squad next year, but their bodies will be one year older.

Technical Coach: Seeking your feedback

1. Back DCE and Foran to the hilt and give them to platform to show they are the best halves in the comp

2. A splash of youth, fit, mobile, tackle 3 at a time a la scum that dominate without having destroyed bodies leading into a grand final qualifer

3. Backs shutdown with speed without worrying about smashing the tits off the attacker. I love Matai as much as anyone and I think he tone down his hits and still have his best year ever next year

Funny you mention that first game, cause it sticks in my mind too. The way manly moved the ball through the back line looked fresh and I felt Toovey had already tweaked the style of play from previous Hasler years. I really liked what i saw, but then came all the injuries and turmoil and the rest is history.

Watching the bulldogs, the way Hasler has turned the skill level around of so many of their forwards is amazing and would love Manly to focus more on a fresh attacking approach next year, rather than try to bash their opponents into submission. Manly have the skill level, we saw it on display this year in patches, some of the first halves, especially the first 20 mins were amazing! It's a shame they were not as consistent as they normally are.

Thanks for replying TC. I suspect that we will be hungry enough and Daley will probably do us some unintentional favours with SOO picks next year.

Technical Coach said:

I think Toovey will also address the size and mobility issues and it's one of the reasons why Rose is out of favour

I can see that point. We lack the angles that have seen both Choc and Buhrer running that resulted in bust throughs. Ferris playing a Ballin role at dummy half is using only half his potential.

All the same there is nothing wrong with energy sapping huge hits in numbers that sting. That has been our benchmark and in many games this year it has worked. Then we took the foot off the throttle.

I've mentioned before about backline movements where passes are thrown too early. I'd like to see more sucking in of the defensive line before balls are passed. Quick side to side movements do work but the most effective play is by creating doubt and an overlap.

Overall I'm disappointed with the speed of the play the ball. We were once dominant but now the others have caught up.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4