Aussies in south Africa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
End of day 1 and marsh and smith have done well. Given that SA at centurion have the record of 14 wins 3 draws and 1 loss our score of 300 for 4 after being put in is great. Early wickets a worry but you would expect that after being put in

Bloody forgot it started last night didn't I, thought it kicked off tonight. Missed the first session but watched a bit of start of second session. Saw Clarke get out and thought here we go, we'll be rolled for under 200. Was happily surprised to wake up to news of 200 partnership between Smith and Marsh. We are in a good place at the moment and another 150+ runs will make it difficult for us to lose from here (touch wood). I believe Steyn was a little off colour and maybe not in peak form for first session. Also from what I saw the pitch looked fairly good, not sure if there was anything in it early or not.

I may have to rethink my assessment of Steve Smith as a test class batsman. He always had obvious talent (great eye) but I didn't think his technique would stand up to the rigour of Test cricket. A big ton here on the back of a great Ashes campaign will cement his spot. I didn't rate Matt Hayden when he first started and look how that ended, hopefully for Australian cricket Smith is equally as successful. I understand he is held in quite high regard as possible future Captain material as well.

Marsh really needed this dig to lock himself in there as Baileys replacement, after so many comings and goings he needs to grab onto this opportunity with both hands. If he gets focused then he has all the talent required.

The pleasing thing about Smith is that he always looks like he is consistently learning and improving. With some natural talent those traits will take you a long way.

yep, looks to be playing how he wants most of the time

4th ton in 7 matches so in some good form right now, is only 24 as well.

Here is one for you aussies, only 3 teams have scored more than 300 in the first innings at centurion and lost, the highest was 323 by Sri Lanka

Looks like we will post 400+ so in a good place.

Great opening spell from Johnson. 2 nasty balls to get rid of Smith and du Plessis and he just plain scared Petersen out.

Saffers two best at the crease now so if we can break through again we'll be looking real good to finish this off.

What can you say, when he is hot he is as good as they get. He hasn't lsot his "mo"jo from the ashes and that spell should give him the confidence to complete the series in form.

Quality fast bowling is great to watch and like Lee he having McGrath and Dizzy Johnson has Harris and Siddle to keep things tight allowing him to go all out attack.

It will be interesting to see if the tail can withstand Johnson or if they follow the poms lead and get out for about 50 added.

I see de Villiers has equalled the record for scoring a half century in consecutive test matches, 11 test in a row now. I think he is one of the most naturally gifted cricketers I have ever seen.

The phoenix like performance of Johnson over the last 12 months is phenomenal. He has taken 41 wickets in 5.5 test matches.

very true about DeVilliers, playing very well as just a batsman then add his wicket keeping duties on top. Add Kallis and having 2 allrounders of that quality is why SA are number 1 in the world. Poms have that Kiwi fella stokes who looks likely to be the next bloke to step up to top notch

I am surprised we didn't go with Faulkner to replace Watson for that reason although our tail has been batting very well recently.

I know there are stats on "bowlers bunnies" based on number of times out but Smith would have to be up there for Johnson. 2 broken hands and 2 balls this innings.

Can't wait for Steyn to fire though, love watching him when in control.

That's exceptional bowling figures 7-68. Well done Mitch, long may it continue!

470 run lead at time of posting (about 10 mins left)

I bat again for an hour or so just to peev them off. Keep them in the field and give Marsh an outside chance of getting triple figures. We are far enough ahead now anyway.

Few gremlins in the pitch starting to appear.

How was the ball Amla got first up !! FMD !! Thank god for helmets otherwise he'd be in a bad way.

Great catch (but flukey) by Doolan to get rid of Smith.

More great catches and more great bowling. Good win by the Aussies, comprehensive in fact.

Johnson is a one man wrecking machine. His resurgence is nothing short of remarkable. I thought maybe the Poms were making him look at touch better than he was because they were so utterly hopeless, but this is the best batting line up in world cricket and he has ripped through them.

He must have knocked 5 or 6 runs off his bowling average in the last 6 tests. At this rate he'll crack 300 test wickets by the end of the year, and we've only got 5 tests left to play I think

He is on fire and on a pitch with variable bounce just unplayable at times.

Stats are now 254 wickets @ 27.5 which is extremely good.

Clarke may even be right in that we have the best fast bowling attack in the world right now as we seem to have balance in all conditions (even in the indian creek beds where they play 7 spinners). When the pitch isnt fast or bouncy then Rhino Harris or Piddle are better suited.

With our batting improving we are going to be tough to beat outside of India where its 99% spin.

Always love beating the sth africans as they are always tough.

Mitch having a golden spell atm.

1991, Bruce Reid, last aussie fast bowler to take 12 for in a match...I read somewhere.

Would be fantastic to win this series, just brilliant.

Go job lads!

Go Job is afrikkans for "good victory".

sheesh Clint....broaden your horizons!

:p:d;)

Boof has certainly made a difference.

I wasn't paying much attention to cricket over recent years but it seems we were losing a lot of matches.

As for Johnson, I always rated him, not sure why he never realised his potential but he has sure made up for that now.

The next 2 Tests will be fascinating. I expect South Africa to come back hard.

And they'll need to, otherwise they will be blown away.

De Villiers has certainly improved since I last saw him a few years ago. He was always a correct, compact type but now he just has so much time, very impressive indeed.

globaleagle said:
Go Job is afrikkans for "good victory".
It was also what the crowd was chanting as Job closed in on the world record for being patient.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2