Australian history re written

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
This is something that's been bugging me for a while.

But is it just me or has Australia's history been changed to only include the indigenous at all major events.

If it wasn't for the red coats turning up and settling. We may not be the greatest country in the world we are now.

We need another old Sydney town like was closed in gosford in the 80's to teach the young ones about Australia's real heritage.

I wonder what is learned at school these days?

I agree to a point.

You are right in that certain parts of our recent history tend to be overlooked such as white settlement etc.

Its all about balance, and it may have swung a bit too far the other way, hopefully this will return to some sort of middle ground in the future.

That's it balance.

If you where from another country you would think we all walk around with spears and boomerangs. But good at sports.

I must admit some of the indigenous "welcomes" that are now trotted out at major events are a bit of a rambling affair.

Lsz
Well you r the only one in this thread.

Olympics, commonwealth games etc, etc

Even council meetings start with an indigenous forward and if memory serves also state govt as well.

When's the last time you've seen any reference to the first settlers?

Cough "first WHITE settlers" cough....

as i mentioned before, Balance.

they (Indig) walked here a long while ago, we (Euros) caught a boat a couple of hundred years ago, plenty of Greeks and Italians flew out in the 50's, Some Africans both Black and white came out more recently, Sth East Asians caught rafts or boats that hardly floated.

Personally I dont care what colour or what you look like, you breath the same air and bleed the same blood, and the more we can all learn about each other the better off we will ALL be,

I don't think you are wrong in what you are saying Byso, but I get the feeling that you would prefer the version of history where the Captain Cook and Later on the First Fleet lobbed and found a vast untouched land and thought "Cool we'll have a piece of this".

Terra Nullis was a crock and was shown to be so, but leaning and acceptance can only come through knowledge.

But I think Lsz you are kidding when you can't find examples of the sort of things he refers to, just a week or 2 ago we got an example of the native propaganda industry in action, Abbott makes some throw away comment about the tent embassy and the **** hits the fan, but no charges are deemed worthwile.

I'm not judging any of them, I have asian mates, black white and whatever, i couldnt care less.

I went to school in a pretty much white school in the 70s and 80s so i know the sort of "old school" learning you are talking about Byso, so can definately relate.

Its a very steep learning curve I reckon, and we are far from there yet.

To be fair Fro they did come out the next day and say they had over reacted (from the tent embassy leadership)

Actually take that back - have a look at media watch from Monday night and see how the story was reported..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4