Australian Team v New Zealand

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Billy Slater, Joel Monaghan, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Brent Tate, Darren Lockyer (capt), Jonathan Thurston, Petero Civoniceva, Cameron Smith, Steve Price, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Brent Kite, Josh Perry, Anthony Tupou, Kurt Gidley.

Well done boys!

hmmm

I reckon Watmough deserved a spot!

I am surprised that Fitzy didn't get a run actually. What's the point of having him in the squad if he won't hold down a spot?

I think Choc will get a bench spot in one or maybe two games.

In front of whom Dan?

Lafranchi And Stewart both deserved a spot, and Gallen the grub is blowing Stuart, and Tupou was always going to get favored now he is going to the sharks.

The Telegraph online earlier had Micheal Monaghan making his debut on the wing :) Matas would have choked on his Yaks milk :)

Fitzy is a joke of a selection, it's like they pick him because they just can't face that he is not the player he use to be (and he use to be good)

It's a pretty strong team though from looking at it. I still rate Price as one of the best players going around always has been. Not sure Civoniceva would have made my team.

Also with Inglis he is incredibly poor moving to the right in defense. If you watch the grand final, Inglis was so so slow trying to move off the mark to his right hand side, that's how Ballin got across as well as several other places in the game where he was too slow

Fitzy had a top year, and was also OK for NSW in a pack that was battling, i don't have too many dramas with him in the squad

Congratz for the Manly boys, obviously not cheering them on but hope they are looked after by the kiwis. That team still looks far too good, only thing in the Kiwis favour is a possible bit of rust on the Aussies while we have had 2 warmup matches

How can Toupu not make the original squad and yet be picked, but Watmough makes the original squad, and not got picked?

Topou is so over-rated it's not funny.

Why pick a centre on the wing when you have a WINGER there in Wolfman

Glenn should have been picked at lock

Kite should start, he is vital in the opening minutes! He was so good in the opening of the grand final i don't see why he should start on the bench, have the fast and quick kite and price replace by perry and cino

It's Stuart's team, he's a complete moronic bum.  This wc is just a nonsense.  Go PNG. 

TBH I'm not surprised that most of our players arnt playing or are benched. They are great players but the selectors mainly want to pick a team who gets bums on seats whilst winning matches.

Matai was interviewed earlier on the news

They asked him if he will be looking for the Manly players, and he just started grinning and said Yes, then they asked if he will get Glenn Stewart and he said "I hope so"

haha yeah i saw that interview.  It looked like he was about to giggle.

There was a news report also where Matai said he'd tell Kearney Manly's secrets to shutting out the Storm players if it helped. 

And yeah - good points made about Too-poo going from not being selected to going straight to the bench on game 1, and teams based on popularity and ticket sales.

Like i said before, the only good thing for me about the WC is that it's more footy to watch and i dont really care what happens so long as Manly boys play well and dont get hurt.  Since most years there are more Origin matches played than tests, i've lost the passion for test matches.  I remember back in the 80s i used to love the tours to england and stuff cos it meant something

If I were selector and coach - my fully fit Australian team would be:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. David Williams
03. Justin Hodges
04. Greg Inglis
05. Israel Falou
06. Darren Lockyer
07. Johnathan Thurston
08. Brent Kite
09. Cameron Smith
10. Josh Perry
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Luke O'Donnell
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Willie Mason
16. Luke Bailey
17. Anthony Watmough

You've gotta have Price and Petero in the team.
Both are champion players.

You could select 2 quality Aust teams that
would get the job done.

I'm predicting that Australia will win comfortably.

I was fortunate enough to win a double pass
to the game in a Daily Telegraph competition
where they were giving away a corporate box and
50 consolation double passes.

My biggest dilemma is - what to wear ??
Either my Centenary Manly polo shirt or my Premiers T shirt.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2