Back ended contracts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
@Andrew.. I have re-posted this discussion to its own thread because I think it is relevant today with regards to your comments re the Turbo bros upgrades.

A while ago when somebody was bagging Dessie for leaving us with the burden of a few back ended contracts, I said that I believe that they are a legal and viable strategy.

If timed properly with the right personnel they allow you a window of several years to construct a team well in excess of the salary cap limit. It may be the only way clubs like us can combat the TPA rich clubs.

If the result is 1 or 2 premierships, is the inevitable downside of several years in the wilderness worthwhile.

Woodsie do not discount front ended contracts as well. I would suggest there are very few clubs that pay their players an equal amount for each year of their contract (which is why the whole placing value on players is a pointless exercise)

Woodsie do not discount front ended contracts as well. I would suggest there are very few clubs that pay their players an equal amount for each year of their contract (which is why the whole placing value on players is a pointless exercise)

Agree, to be successful you may need a combination of front and rear loading.

It will be an interesting test of the NRL's player value policy if they allow the current NZ captain and a $1.3 million dollar player to sign for the Warriors on a $200 grand incentive contract.

I know some get upset over back ended contracts, especially if you fall short in your window of opportunity. So whilst it may sting to be out of finals contention for a couple of years, I wouldn't swap a single thing for those memories and the success we enjoyed.
Whatever else comes we are carved in the history books. How many others would give anything for that success ?

A club like the titans who were way under the cap could pay a player like Hayne a big part of their cap for the remainder of 2016, then bugger all in 2017 then more then 1.2 in 2018, thus being both back and front enders.

They also singed Peats mid season for about 600K per year and Hurrel on big money so must have been 2M under or possibly Toddy has guaranteed some TPA's

They also singed Peats mid season for about 600K per year and Hurrel on big money so must have been 2M under or possibly Toddy has guaranteed some TPA's

I'd say that the Warriors are paying some of Hurrell's dosh still.
Most mid season releases would have some sort of residual with their former club - it's generally a win-win.
The new club gets him cheaper than market value and the old club gets rid of a problem.

And then we have Hoppa Snr, who has a completely different definition of a back-ended contract.
Hoppa Snr.jpeg

One thing is clear: you should keep some space in the salary cap for mid-seasons transfers where you can pick up some bargain buys. The Titans did it this year, and look like playing finals football with three such purchases.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8