Back in the limelight again?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Trouble and strife at Manly.

Seems their board continues to be at each others throats.

The NRL is embroiled in a racism scandal after former New Zealand international Darrell Williams claimed he was the victim of racial abuse during a recent Manly board meeting.
Williams has written to NRL chief executive Dave Smith to complain that he was referred to by the racially derogatory term ''boy'' by fellow director Rick Penn during a board meeting on April 4. Williams immediately took offence to the comment, which was noted in the minutes.
Williams, who played 21 Tests for NZ, claims the term was used ''to demean me, to talk down to me and treat me like a second-rate citizen''.
''In the context that he said it and the effect he wanted it to have, it was racist, absolutely,'' Williams said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/racial-slur-stings-williams-20130601-2nih1.html

Link to article has been corrected.

The term "boy" is typically a derogatory term aimed at American negroes.

When used in an Australian context it refers to someone's lack of maturity or experience.

Try this link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/letter-by-darrell-williams-20130601-2nima.html?rand=1370100068893

I think anyone that knows Darrell Williams would have no problem understanding his disgust with the Penn's. A nicer ,decent, and thouroughly Manly man you'll not meet. I congratulate him on bringing the issue into the open. And suggest Rick and Scott get off their arses and start making some "genuine" apologies .

It's a derogatory term for aborigines too, I cringe whenever Gus and rabbits use it to describe an aboriginal player. It may well be a nono for Polynesians too

More importantly who leaked this information from a confidential board meeting to the newspaper? Fatso again?

tookey said:
More importantly who leaked this information from a confidential board meeting to the newspaper? Fatso again?

It was Williams himself.

None of us can be sure of the context or otherwise of what was allegedly said, but if he felt offended we should respect that.

The Board room is a place of confidentiality and for that breach Williams should himself resign.

Got to be careful who you call boy though..

http://www.defamer.com.au/2010/07/memorable-moments-on-aussie-television-bert-newton-and-muhammad-ali-at-the-logies/

Ralphie said:
tookey said:

It was Williams himself.

None of us can be sure of the context or otherwise of what was allegedly said, but if he felt offended we should respect that.

The Board room is a place of confidentiality and for that breach Williams should himself resign.

What is williams to do when as he said that the chairman was trying to defend his father Rick and then comes to a metting 6 weeks later and wants to take is out of the recordes of the meeting.
I dont know williams that well but good on him.

I call people boy all the time

But Penn doesn't help himself saying "I've dealt with your kind before" etc so you'd think the remark wasn't all that innocent

Kiwi Eagle said:

But Penn doesn't help himself saying "I've dealt with your kind before" etc so you'd think the remark wasn't all that innocent

Yep and in a formal business setting such as a board meeting using the word "boy" should be a big no no.

Kiwi Eagle said:

Could have been making reference to a million things other than his race.

lovefooty said:
Ralphie said:
tookey said:

It was Williams himself.

What is williams to do when as he said that the chairman was trying to defend his father Rick and then comes to a metting 6 weeks later and wants to take is out of the recordes of the meeting.

What he is supposed to do is maintain the confidentiality of the Boardroom.

If he feels he has been vilified he has numerous legitimate options available to him, going to the media is not one of them.

Ralphie said:
lovefooty said:
Ralphie said:
tookey said:

It was Williams himself.

If he feels he has been vilified he has numerous legitimate options available to him, going to the media is not one of them.

So in your view williams the villain and not a victim. So he should be punished. The other guys can say what they want where they want and its ok. Just turn this onto williams being at fault.
Maybe you pal but not me.

lovefooty said:
Ralphie said:
lovefooty said:
Ralphie said:
tookey said:

It was Williams himself.

So in your view williams the villain and not a victim. So he should be punished. The other guys can say what they want where they want and its ok. Just turn this onto williams being at fault.

Wow you're good at twisting things around. I said and I quote "None of us can be sure of the context or otherwise of what was allegedly said, but if he felt offended we should respect that."

Please explain to me what part of that says, and this time I quote you, "So in your view williams the villain and not a victim."

What I said and I stand by, is that he should respect the confidentiality of the Boardroom and use one of the legitimate options available to him if he feels he has been vilified.

Give yourself an uppercut you goose!!!!!!

Ralphie said:
lovefooty said:
Ralphie said:
lovefooty said:
Ralphie said:
It was Williams himself.

Wow you're good at twisting things around. I said and I quote "None of us can be sure of the context or otherwise of what was allegedly said, but if he felt offended we should respect that."

Please explain to me what part of that says, and this time I quote you, "So in your view williams the villain and not a victim."

What I said and I stand by, is that he should respect the confidentiality of the Boardroom and use one of the legitimate options available to him if he feels he has been vilified.

Give yourself an uppercut you goose!!!!!!

Where does he go. The chairman who should of dealt with this is the son of the person who mad the racis remarks. Two people at fault. The bloke who said it and his son in not dealing with it. This happend on the 4th of April. It read to me that williams had done all he could.
Again he is the victim. You said williams should resign .
The fact that you called me a goose is why williams and others should stand up to name callers like Rick and you my friend.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2