Back to the future?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Grant Mayer linked with Manly as Barry O'Farrell emerges as Wests Tigers candidate
Date
June 15, 2015 - 11:32PM

Brad Walter
Sports Reporter

Grant Mayer has been linked with a return to Manly after a shock exit from Wests Tigers that may open the way for former NSW premier Barry O'Farrell to take over the CEO's job at the joint venture club.

Mayer, whose resignation is effective immediately, became the second NRL chief executive to part company with his club in as many days following Scott Seward's departure from Parramatta on Sunday.

And Fairfax Media has been told that the CEO merry-go-round is yet to stop, with a third club chief executive poised to leave their post in coming days or weeks.

Speculation linking Mayer to the Sea Eagles would suggest that new Manly chief executive Joe Kelly may be that person after just nine months in the job.

Mayer previously worked as the Sea Eagles chief executive from 2006 to 2009 and is believed to have a good relationship with the Penn family, who are the club's major shareholders and late last year wrested control of the board.

While his resignation from the Tigers is understood to have come after a meeting about performance, Fairfax Media has been told that he had recently been eyeing off a possible return to Manly.

Mayer has told friends he is keen to remain involved with the game after previously working for Canterbury as events and operations general manager from 1999 to 2005 before becoming the foundation chief executive of French Super League club, Catalans Dragons.

He also worked as GWS Giants commercial operations general manager for three years before initially joining the Tigers in a similar position in October 2012 and being promoted to chief executive in July 2013 following the departure of Stephen Humphreys.

Wests Tigers chairwoman Marina Go said Mayer had been an asset to the joint-venture clubs for the last two years.

"Wests Tigers would like to thank Grant for his diligence and dedication to the club," Go said. "We look to take the next step in our evolution and a fresh approach to take us to the next level as a professional, world-class sporting organisation. Wests Tigers is looking forward to achieving the goals that are critical for a successful future for the Club, both on-field and off-field."
-----------------------------------------------------
Interesting - Joker may be flicked before he costs the Penns another million in over payments :p

Of all the CEO's I've dealt with at the club Grant Mayer was by far the best at both business and having his finger on the pulse. I would welcome him back

Not only are we linked to every player available now its CEO's as well.

Lets not forget coach aswell.

Next thing we will hear is " Manly chasing legends Norm Provan and Arthur Smmons to bolster their already long list of ledgends".

I thought we thought Joke was a dud? Now we all like him again?
What has he ****ed up? People got ****ty because he didn't do everything they wanted when they wanted but it still got done regardless. Look at all the signings this year and explain how he's done a **** job?

FYI - a few of us have been of the opinion that he was going ok but needed some time, he had a plan (which he outlined in Albury at the Q & A) and he has pretty much executed it to the letter.

What has he ****ed up? People got ****ty because he didn't do everything they wanted when they wanted but it still got done regardless. Look at all the signings this year and explain how he's done a **** job?

FYI - a few of us have been of the opinion that he was going ok but needed some time, he had a plan (which he outlined in Albury at the Q & A) and he has pretty much executed it to the letter.
Relax man. I was just commenting that a few weeks ago everyone on here was saying how bad he is going. I wasn't commenting on what I thought of him as I don't even know him.

Last edited:
Joe Kelly has spent his entire tenure putting out fires and cleaning up the mess that the previous dysfunctional board left. I think he deserves time to get things right. He was sold a pup when it came to re-signing the big 2, one who was leaving regardless and the other flip flopping, its over now and hes managed to re-sign DCE, keep the nucleus of our good kids too. We will be ok.

Of all the CEO's I've dealt with at the club Grant Mayer was by far the best at both business and having his finger on the pulse. I would welcome him back

Very professional , I had a lot to do with Grant, mind you Dave Perry was also very good.

Relax man. I was just commenting that a few weeks ago everyone on here was saying how bad he is going. I was commenting on what I thought of him.

That's fine, not having a go. It's just that there was a constant stream of JK bashing on here and when stuff got done those same people credited Bozo when clearly the DCE negotiation was all JK.

I'm probably overly pissy about it because I've been a defender since the start.

It's not a case of Joe, Toovey or any other staff or players in particular, it's a case of there being a constant air of uncertainty in the club and with that stench around we will never get back to where we once were.

Never???? Really !!!

Swings and roundabouts mate, part of our culture, always has been and always will be.

Mayer is probably going to Parra. They have an immediate opening.

Joe has done a decent job. Signed all the kids, got Myles, did a lifetime deal with Chez... Seriously the people whinging about him need to get over it already.

Joe was a bit like George Costanza in negotiating DCE's deal, instead of the original $1million over 3 or 4 years, we sign him up for 10 million over 8 years.
We negotiated UP, just like George negotiating DOWN.

Very professional , I had a lot to do with Grant, mind you Dave Perry was also very good.

They are the 2 who have appeared the best from the outside perspective in my opinion. Also the only 2 who I have ever had decent chats with, just seem to have more time for the fans

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4