Back Up Hooker for 2010

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
With Heath off, what do we have on the books ?

Is the Sunshine Coast guy up to it ? Or the Under 20s bloke ?

Maybe we have to look at bringing someone in  ?

George Ndaira and Michael Sullivan are both handy players off contract

I reckon just use Farrar as our utility player mate. I reckon he'd go ok from dummy 1/2 to be honest. Plus he can play fullback, wing, centre, 1/2's etc etc.

Then we have Bailey who can also slot into the 1/2's if need be.

Keiran Foran should get more time at 5/8, with Lyon going back to the centres imo.......YART TIME !

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Matt Orford
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Ben Farrar
15. Jason King
16. George Rose / Matt Cross
17. Chris Bailey / Joe Gulovou / Darcy Lussick

My main concern, is that early rounds next year, Ballin does a knee

We can't really have Farrar playing there all year

In the past Willo was our stop gap option.

Maybe Cherry-Evans could get a run there

Hmmmm....good point. Does this guy help though? DID play in the World Cup I guess:-

Romantic Rinaldi at home on the Coast
It is fitting that an affair of the heart has landed the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles its French international signing in World Cup hooker Julien Rinaldi.
Rinaldi’s playing skills were courted by the Sea Eagles officials for a Queensland Cup debut this season after the French vice-captain spent a week on the Coast with his national side preparing for the World Cup.
And in the end Cupid came through for them with the 29-year-old European Super League veteran having an Aussie love interest.

“I knew the area here because of my partner (Loren Herring).
“She is Australian from Forster in New South Wales, but she has family who live here at Caloundra....so it feel likes I know the place.”

Rinaldi has signed a one-year deal that could open the door to promotion to the NRL via the Coast’s status as an official Manly feeder club.

That sort of experience also has his heart aflutter, but the 87kg utility player who is just at home at halfback, is also enamoured by the prospect of kick-starting the local Sea Eagles venture.

Born in French league heartland, Rinaldi was part of the Catalans Dragons side to spearhead the French connection with Super League and he is keen to play a similar role on the Coast.

“It is very exciting to be over here – I feel like it is club building like I did with the Catalans Dragons. This is the same thing for me – helping the club grow up.

“I was with the Catalans Dragons for three years and then moved to London for the last two years (to play with the Harlequins) and then I decided to come over here.

“I’m excited to be a part of the Manly family and hopefully have a few games of NRL maybe.”
Early injury marred the French vice-captain’s World Cup campaign,but he will get to show Sea Eagles coaching brains trust in Dennis Moore and Brandon Costin what he can bring to the side in upcoming trials.

The first hit out is against Easts Tigers at Langlands Park in Brisbane on February 14 followed by Norths Devils at Stockland Park on February 21 and the Balmain Tigers on February 28 also on the Coast.

The Sea Eagles are delighted with the experience he brings to the club, but as far as Moore is concerned it will be a case of tough love Queensland Cup selection.

“There’s no guarantees for anyone – everyone’s fighting for a spot,” Moore said.
“The scrapbooks don’t matter, it’s who trains well, performs well, fits in well...they’ll all get their chance and form will dictate.”

Rinaldi has been told that Queensland Cup is a good standard of league but will have to wait and see for himself.

“The hardest thing for me might be going from a professional club to a semi-professional club, so it might be a bit different for me – but talking to Brandon he said the boys are really professional in their attitude.”

By Peter Gardiner - Sunshine Coast Daily

Interesting

It does remind me of the coup we pulled off a while back, our Welsh international Mark Lennon haha

Rinaldi went home not long after he arrived, sadly.

If we were looking to recruit from outside the club a bloke I would look at is Kevin Kingston - going great guns for Parra at the moment, very good bloke, provides spark. Unsigned for next year as far as I know.

But the alternative would be using guys in the squad, or getting Ballin to play the full 80.... Although you always want depth - Higgins has gone fairly well for our 20s this year but he isn't ready yet, not by a long shot.

Interesting post and a bit of a concern. You can't make a good hooker overnight. I did hear more than a whisper that a certain MM who was an ex-Captain of MWSE was keen to return to Australia and that Manly were more than happy to try and sign him again. Might be just rumour but an interesting development.

Would certainly liven up this website with those that loved him and those that detested him both in big numbers.

I was never a big fan of MM as halfback, though he did have some good games. As a hooker I admired his ticker but I thought it no coincidence that when Ballin became hooker our go-forward improved and we won a premiership.

I also was not too impressed with the whole Max and Monas love-fest when Monaghan was resigned for overs at a time when we were trying to sign Orford.

Congrats on the triple century btw DSM5. If only the Aussies could have scored as well, we would still hold the Ashes!! :) :)

willstyles link said:
Rinaldi went home not long after he arrived, sadly.

If we were looking to recruit from outside the club a bloke I would look at is Kevin Kingston - going great guns for Parra at the moment, very good bloke, provides spark. Unsigned for next year as far as I know.

But the alternative would be using guys in the squad, or getting Ballin to play the full 80.... Although you always want depth - Higgins has gone fairly well for our 20s this year but he isn't ready yet, not by a long shot.

Kingston would be a wonderful buy, we would lose nothing with him.

great post. Hodkinson would be the obvious choice.

I'm guessing Des would like ballin to play the full 80 mins.

I think Gulovao can cover the role for 10 mins then play in the back Row. Also as mentioned Farrer might make a excellent no 14. He can cover 1-7 and no 9 if trained up in the off season.

there must be some young no 9's playing in the Qld CUP.

What about Brad Bennett from the NYC?

Looks like a good player from what i've seen & has slotted in at 7 a few times as well. Got the right build to mix it up with the forwards to boot.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6