Ballin - season ending ACL ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I had a horrible feeling that is his injury, when a guy goes down and there is no contact it is often the case. That is the 3rd ACL this year, what a bitch of year for injuries. I hope Matty B can recover but he faces a long spell out now and it will give the newer guys coming in a chance to establish themselves and justify the Penn clans decision to move in a different direction.

Matty Ballin is currently 31 and turns 32 in January. His age really is against him (unlike say Gutho who only turns 21 in just over two weeks from now).

Unfortunately I fear that yesterday may be the last, or one of the last times we see Matty running out in the maroon and white. The club has signed two young hookers in Koroisau and Parcell (both are only 22) for next season, plus there will be Ferris and Brown as back ups. And although Koroisau can also play 5/8 (another spot we need to fill from 2016), I think Barrett would have brought him with him from Penrith to be our #1 hooker.

We all know Matty was one of those told he wasn't required next year and that he vowed to fight for his spot. However, if he's done his ACL then I sadly think that might well be it for him as a first grade player :(

Last edited:
Yeah, if that is an ACL, I fear that could be MB last game in First Grade. Which would be a sad way to see out such a loyal player.

ACL at his age this late in the season means he has little chance making the start of next season, and with 2 other players in line to take his spot I dont like his chances.

I had a horrible feeling that is his injury, when a guy goes down and there is no contact it is often the case. That is the 3rd ACL this year, what a bitch of year for injuries. I hope Matty B can recover but he faces a long spell out now and it will give the newer guys coming in a chance to establish themselves and justify the Penn clans decision to move in a different direction.
Have all those 3 ACL's this season been done at Brookvale Oval???

^ Gutho did his against Parra as well, but not at Brookie. Ferris did his in Melbourne

Yes, Marty B has a contract, and he has been wonderful for us, over a long period. 50+ tackles per match. We all have respect for him.But he ain't gettin any younger, and coincidentally this injury comes along at a time when it seems the Club is ready to move on.to new players in the forwards. Sometimes it's wiser to go in the direction that fate seems to suggest - put your energies into that. Marty will handle the transition from player to conditioning coach easily.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7